Kia Sorento Suitability

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Jul 30, 2007
Visit site
I must say I found the Sorrento a great towcar but I do prefer our current Santa fe.
It feels more of a "large car",suitable for every day use rather than a vehicle used for towing.
Not sure if I've worded that correctly, but you may understand what I mean. 20210614_105431_compress23.jpg

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I must say I found the Sorrento a great towcar but I do prefer our current Santa fe.
It feels more of a "large car",suitable for every day use rather than a vehicle used for towing.
Not sure if I've worded that correctly, but you may understand what I mean. View attachment 2022

I guess that it is dependent on what model Sorento and Santa Fe you are comparing. After the generation 1 Sorento the car became more of a tarmac hugger than an off roader.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
The Sorrento I had was a "57"plate,so I imagine it was a mk.2??
The Santa fe is a "66"plate.
It was an update of the generation 1 built on the ladder frame chassis and ostensibly the same power train albeit a bit more power. The real next generation came out around 2010 and was a monocoque body designed more for road use.

Reactions: GeorgeandAde
Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
My (wealthy) brother, has had many Santa Fe’s from new. A new one every two years. And not a great mileage done. Just local and caravan trips, including Spain every year. About 5 years ago he tried the Tucson, but regretted it. But he loves the SaNat Fe 7 seater Auto with self levelling.

John

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
It was an update of the generation 1 built on the ladder frame chassis and ostensibly the same power train albeit a bit more power. The real next generation came out around 2010 and was a monocoque body designed more for road use.
Basically, Kia was bankrupt and had no funds to develop new models - they were forced by the Korean government to "merge" with Hyundai under a complex shareholding arrangement which was effectively a takeover.

From 2010, the Kia Sorento used the Hyundai Santa Fe platform, first introduced in 2006 - for road use it was a huge improvement over the previous Sorento but for towing and off-road the new model was a big disappointment as it was lighter and had no low-ratio transmission.

Jul 30, 2007
Visit site
. But he loves the SaNat Fe 7 seater Auto with self levelling.

Must be the same as mine then but obviously much newer.

Its suprising(without overloading),the size of the boot space available with the 2nd. and 3rd. row of seats folded flat.
The one thing on the Sorrento that took me a while to master was the wiper/indicator arms round the other way.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Cant take it with you eh, enjoy while we all can 👍
If only we all knew how long our pension pots had to last - the problem with taking capital out of the pension pot for a major purchase is that you may want to replace that after 10 years, or whatever, so the pension pot keeps getting depleted.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
If only we all knew how long our pension pots had to last - the problem with taking capital out of the pension pot for a major purchase is that you may want to replace that after 10 years, or whatever, so the pension pot keeps getting depleted.
Your comment assumes that all have pension pots to draw upon. A whole raft of people have pensions without a pension pot. But there’s always equity draw down I guess.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
I did not get a choice when i got 36 NHS retired me through ill health so i was offered a pension lump sum not a lot but it brought our payments down on the house at that time my wife was the main bread winner . All i can remember we saved our money to what we have now :)

Reactions: Jcloughie
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Last house before we moved some friends we use to know they own Kia Sorrento auto diesel he love it, it was wash and wax every week, service every year he kept it for six years he got a good price he got a Hyundai Santa fe 2.0 diesel top of the range i have seen it when he came for his lunch and it looks like new saying it five years old ;)

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
That my motto enjoy ;)

I have much agreement with that attitude. But I find I don’t have the same yearning that I used to have. Not sure if that is contentment or lack of drive 😏

We didn’t have pension pots as such but lump sums available. I did the same and bought a new van and a couple of new, (to me) cars since. I have no interest in updating either as they both adequately suit their purpose.

I did open 6 LISA’s for the grandchildren. Enough for them to make a start. Two have bought a house. The other 4 are all building on the small, but not insignificant, pot I started them with. That pleases me very much.

We, have the equity release open to us, she is dead against. Me, not so much. But we have no plans to be extravagant, so all is fine.

Each to their own, I believe 😛. But one always wonders if some of the more elderly people are genuinely wealthy, or blowing their kids inheritance. I would never ask. Not my business. Luckily for us. Both our kids have done well and are financially more secure than us.

I feel lucky that we both have government and LA pensions. I have always argued when you hear civil servants and LA workers moaning about their income. They never bring the pension advantage they have into the picture.

(NHS are an exception to this right now).

John

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
I have much agreement with that attitude. But I find I don’t have the same yearning that I used to have. Not sure if that is contentment or lack of drive 😏

We didn’t have pension pots as such but lump sums available. I did the same and bought a new van and a couple of new, (to me) cars since. I have no interest in updating either as they both adequately suit their purpose.

I did open 6 LISA’s for the grandchildren. Enough for them to make a start. Two have bought a house. The other 4 are all building on the small, but not insignificant, pot I started them with. That pleases me very much.

We, have the equity release open to us, she is dead against. Me, not so much. But we have no plans to be extravagant, so all is fine.

Each to their own, I believe 😛. But one always wonders if some of the more elderly people are genuinely wealthy, or blowing their kids inheritance. I would never ask. Not my business. Luckily for us. Both our kids have done well and are financially more secure than us.

I feel lucky that we both have government and LA pensions. I have always argued when you hear civil servants and LA workers moaning about their income. They never bring the pension advantage they have into the picture.

(NHS are an exception to this right now).

John
Help my son he now owns his house he done me proud he brought a brand new car we have two Granddaughters one is a school teacher the other following in my wife steps wants to be a Nurse my wife finally retired when she was 62 been working since she was 15 . . that was some years ago . Me and wife have NHS pensions . we also have equity release open to us . ;)

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
I did not get a choice when i got 36 NHS retired me through ill health so i was offered a pension lump sum not a lot but it brought our payments down on the house at that time my wife was the main bread winner . All i can remember we saved our money to what we have now :)
I used various redundancy payments to cover large lumps, paying the mortgage off on the third redundancy - I retired early at 52 (without any special deal from my employer) and used the maximum tax-free cash lump sum (25% then) to supplement our ISA Stock & Shares which have provided 4 cars and 2 caravans from their dividends as well as helping our family with cars and other cash needs.

Reactions: Jcloughie
Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Help my son he now owns his house he done me proud he brought a brand new car we have two Granddaughters one is a school teacher the other following in my wife steps wants to be a Nurse my wife finally retired when she was 62 been working since she was 15 . . that was some years ago . Me and wife have NHS pensions . we also have equity release open to us . ;)

We all have to work and plan hard. A little luck along the way is nice though. I once had the opportunity to do a sponsored HNC. It did me well, but I had to work ever weekend for that year as well.

Later, I was paid for to do a CERTed. Those opportunities don’t happen often. I was thankful for mine.

Its a nice feeling if your offspring are succeeding and that you have been able to support them.

When my son bought his first house, he did not quite make the criteria for a mortgage. I went to see the Woolwich manager and offered to use the equity in my house as collateral and stand as a guarantor. He said that that would not work legally, but he would take my word for it and give him a mortgage. He was an ex Gloucester and England rugby player. My daughter later went to work for him. They remain FB friends. So luck can also be engineered.

John

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
I've taken early retirement but have a part time job to top my pension up. Trouble is the part time job feels like full time as they're short staffed!

Reactions: Beachball

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts