Kia Sorrento v Santa Fe

Nov 14, 2007
Visit site
Desperately need help to decide between these two. Currently towing Choachman Amara 520/4 with Volvo S60 D5 which tows very well. Thinking of changing van to twin axle weighing 1700kgs and consequently need to change car. Don't want to spend more than about 24K. I like the write-ups on Sorrento but appears there is an economy issue and auto would put it in top tax bracket. Santa Fe appears more economical and has better on road manners, but would it be up to the job ?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Huw

I drove both before deciding. I have no doubt the Sorento deserves its praise for towing but I did not like it at all solo. Very choppy harsh ride and thats before you hook a van on it! Also a bit dated looking now in my opinion.

Santa Fe was an altogether different story. OK it is not fulltime 4wd but you don't need it 95% of time and that is part of reason for the poor mpg on Sorento. Santa Fe drives like a car so I went for that. I got the CDX7 as it has the self levelling rear suspension. 5 year warranty is a clincher. I am extremely pleased with it and would definitely recommend over the Sorento. I get between 36 & 38 mpg solo & 28 to 32 tugging. I run a pastiche 520/4 so you will know they are not a light van. No trouble maintaining 68 mph in france.

Two niggles and they are not complaints. Gearing is perhaps marginally high so you have to use 4th on long uphill drags. But I had a Frontera before that went uphill and down dale in 5th. Also the radio is a cheap naff thing with no RDS or TP.

hope this helps.

DavidC

Nov 14, 2007
Visit site
Huw

I drove both before deciding. I have no doubt the Sorento deserves its praise for towing but I did not like it at all solo. Very choppy harsh ride and thats before you hook a van on it! Also a bit dated looking now in my opinion.

Santa Fe was an altogether different story. OK it is not fulltime 4wd but you don't need it 95% of time and that is part of reason for the poor mpg on Sorento. Santa Fe drives like a car so I went for that. I got the CDX7 as it has the self levelling rear suspension. 5 year warranty is a clincher. I am extremely pleased with it and would definitely recommend over the Sorento. I get between 36 & 38 mpg solo & 28 to 32 tugging. I run a pastiche 520/4 so you will know they are not a light van. No trouble maintaining 68 mph in france.

Two niggles and they are not complaints. Gearing is perhaps marginally high so you have to use 4th on long uphill drags. But I had a Frontera before that went uphill and down dale in 5th. Also the radio is a cheap naff thing with no RDS or TP.

hope this helps.

DavidC
Thanks Dave - you told me what I wanted to hear. Any issues with the nose weight?

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Hi Huw,

Have a look at "uksorento.com" There are over 1500 Sorie owners who contribute to this forum. Yes the mpg seems to vary. My own mpg on an 05 manual 2.5crdi gives 32 solo, and 28 towing on motorway at a constant 55-60mph. On single twisty roads it has dropped to 23mpg. My model has the self levelling rear suspension which is great for towing. I guess its all down to personal choice. For overall towing ability it has to be the Sorie for me.

Cheers

Alan

Mar 1, 2007
Visit site
Huw,

I have a 2007 facelift Sorento full time four wheel drive,it pulls Swift challenger 540 1400 kg whith no fuss.

Fuel consumption is awful 17 mpg towing and not a great deal better solo. Mine is ebbony black and is not good to keep klean and the paint is sothin every scratch shows up.

Apart from that it's a great tow car. Hope this helps.

Baz

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts