Kia Sportage. Diesel or petrol?

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
We went out yesterday and when we got home the fan on my car was on for well over 5mins +
The fan running after switching off arises for reasons described by the Prof, eg removing residual heat from the cooling system. I doubt your fan had anything to do with the DPF.
Never seen the DPF light on my VW. Most of our driving is long time long haul towing. Perhaps constant short journeys are the real problem. That leads me to horses for courses🤪🤪

Jul 19, 2021
Visit site
The fan running on is well known to be due to the car trying to do a regen. Happened on our Tiguan several times. When it happened I just took the car out down the local dual carriageway for a few miles.
Another sure sign that the car is doing a regen is the stop/start will not work, engine revs at idle are increased and you see a good few mpg drop off the computer

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
The fan running on is well known to be due to the car trying to do a regen. Happened on our Tiguan several times. When it happened I just took the car out down the local dual carriageway for a few miles.
Another sure sign that the car is doing a regen is the stop/start will not work, engine revs at idle are increased and you see a good few mpg drop off the computer
My Skoda 2.0 did just that, and if it was part way through a regen I would take it back out for a run. So much easier if the dash had a local notification of status.

Reactions: Bluetonic
Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
The fan running after switching off arises for reasons described by the Prof, eg removing residual heat from the cooling system. I doubt your fan had anything to do with the DPF.
Never seen the DPF light on my VW. Most of our driving is long time long haul towing. Perhaps constant short journeys are the real problem. That leads me to horses for courses🤪🤪
Under normal circumstances, the fan on my VW is never on once the engine is switched off - but if it was in the middle of a DPF active regeneration, the fan runs at full speed for several minutes after switching off.

The DPF light on my VW doesn't come on during regenerations, it comes on when the DPF is blocked and needs replacing.

Jul 19, 2021
Visit site
My Skoda 2.0 did just that, and if it was part way through a regen I would take it back out for a run. So much easier if the dash had a local notification of status.
I agree, a dash light would have been a great addition.
Not sure why but I have never noticed my Santa Fe do a regen whereas the Tiguan seemed to want to do one every couple of weeks.
I do the same journey with the same driving style.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Whilst the cooling fans running on after the engine has stopped might be an indication a DPF regen is in process, it is not the only occasion when they may continue, so it's not a guaranteed indicator of a regen is being performed.

The cooling fans will run on after the engine has stopped whenever the thermal sensors detect certain parts of the engine or associated equipment is too hot. It often happened to my cars especially after towing, or when the weather has been particularly hot as we have experienced recently.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I must admit that I have never noticed the fan running on after I have switched off the Jeep. Not even sure about the turbo issue

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Whilst the cooling fans running on after the engine has stopped might be an indication a DPF regen is in process, it is not the only occasion when they may continue, so it's not a guaranteed indicator of a regen is being performed.

The cooling fans will run on after the engine has stopped whenever the thermal sensors detect certain parts of the engine or associated equipment is too hot. It often happened to my cars especially after towing, or when the weather has been particularly hot as we have experienced recently.
Some advise to let turbo engines run for a short while before turning them off after hard duty like towing or high speed driving. But the slowing down you do when entering and driving into a M services suffices as your speed has reduced compared to the M way speed.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
I agree, a dash light would have been a great addition.
Not sure why but I have never noticed my Santa Fe do a regen whereas the Tiguan seemed to want to do one every couple of weeks.
I do the same journey with the same driving style.
I am the same Bluetronic, I have never notice a regen happening on our SantaFe or notied the horrible sulpher smell, we use ours for short and long trips. 80k miles now.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I am the same Bluetronic, I have never notice a regen happening on our SantaFe or notied the horrible sulpher smell, we use ours for short and long trips. 80k miles now.
Possibly because Hyundai use a different approach to regeneration. Some over fuel the engine, others inject fuel post the engine.. Ford put a lot of effort into their diesels used in LandRovers and Transits to minimise DPF clogging. One aspect being to position the DPF closer to the exhaust manifold not at the back end of the exhaust system. This meant owners like farmers could expect quicker warm ups on short duration trips hence reducing the quantity of particulates requiring to be burnt. So it is not a “ one size fits all”

Reactions: Hutch
Jul 19, 2021
Visit site

Yes, that is true, but the noise made by the fans when performing a regen is very different to the noise made when the engine is hot.
Sounds like a turbo fan taking off when doing the regen. At least that is the case for VAG cars

Mar 10, 2006
Visit site
I must have stopped my Tiguan around 20 times over the near 4 years of ownership while doing or finishing a DPF burn with fans running, and have never started it up again to take it on a pointless run to waste fuel.

And never had an issue it will just continue trying to complete the burn next time I take it out.

Jul 19, 2021
Visit site
I must have stopped my Tiguan around 20 times over the near 4 years of ownership while doing or finishing a DPF burn with fans running, and have never started it up again to take it on a pointless run to waste fuel.

And never had an issue it will just continue trying to complete the burn next time I take it out.
Well, during lockdown when trips were really short I ignored several warnings that the re-gen was in progress and ended up with a dpf warning light on the dash which took a couple of forced regens to clear. I think it was very close to being a big expensive problem. So I don't see my normal actions of doing a few extra miles as a pointless exercise.

Reactions: otherclive

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts