Kids in bunk beds

Jan 7, 2006
Visit site
Hi everyone - we are just back from a great Easter week away in caravan. Have four berth caravan and two kids. The older one, who is eight and big for her age, slept in the bottom bunk. My youngest, who is just turning four, slept in the top bunk and loved it.

Everything great on first night until the youngest fell out of the top bunk in the middle of the night and scared the life out of us! Thankfully he was still in his sleeping bag and was not hurt - infact he was still fast asleep!!

Problem now is that I couldn't sleep the rest of the trip and kept jumping out of bed at every noise incase he fell again.

Have thought about putting additional side rail on his bunk but he seems to sit up in his sleep and dont know if this will keep him in anyway.

Has anyone else had this problem?

Your advice/comments would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks - Janet

Oct 27, 2005
Visit site
Hi Janet, We have been away in our van for the first time this Easter. We have three children a 4 yr old and 20 month old twins. Lucy who's 4 slept in the top bunk with no problems, there is quite a good rail on this bunk with just a space in the middle to climb in. One of the boys slept in the bottom with a bed guard and the other on the single bed with a bed guard. This was fine once they were asleep, but they did keep standing up trying to climb out as it was a novelty as they are still in cots at home. Hopefully things should get easier as they get older. Denise

Jan 7, 2006
Visit site
Hi Denise - thanks for your comments. Our top bunk is about the same with just a space in the middle to climb in. I will try a bed guard as well.

Hopefully this will do the trick and as you say it should get easier when he gets older!!

Janet

Apr 11, 2005
Visit site
Hi Janet

it was the same for our little boy on the first couple of trips though he was in the lower bed,after a few outings the brain seems to recognise the diferent bed! but in the mean time try a travelrail(tomy) or make your own temporary guard to fill the space!

Isnt that "THUD" horrendous! lol lol, but as you say they dont even seem to wake up!!

the next few trips will be better !

Tina x

Jan 7, 2006
Visit site
Hi Tina - Glad to hear that someone else has had the same problem! As you say he will probably get used to the different bed after a few trips and hopefully I can get a good nights sleep again!

Thanks - Janet

Apr 11, 2005
Visit site
Janet

we got a bit of wood other the space on ower top bunk to stop kids form fall out.

The fist time we went in the caravan we did not make the double bed up in the front I fell off there now we make it in to a double bed now but to be on the safe side the wife sleeps next to the end.

Mark

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts