Knights of the road or

Page 3 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Dec 30, 2009
Visit site
euro, you must be living in the stone henge era if you think stopping trucks in this country wouldnt halt everything. 3 Days should do it, no fresh bread milk or fruit and veg for a start.

Gone are the good old days and I miss them as well but dont kid yourself we could cope as a nation without all those trucks on our roads without a massive amount of investment in rail.

Im not trying to defend all HGV drivers as much as I wouldnt try and defend all caravanners but some of us are professional and proud of it.

Comming down the M5 a few weeks ago 1am 2 trucks from the same company were racing in there artics and everytime the second one would try and overtake the one in front would swerve out to warn him off. I went past both with my hand on horn shaking my head.

Kevin

Aug 10, 2008
Visit site
I would add to what trucker has said that even the railways need trucks! We actually deliver grinding stones to the trains that actually keep the rails smooth and safe!

We collect and deliver pumps big pumps, water pumps for power stations and water treatment plants! and everything associated with these vital systems. they all need regular maintenance.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Cutting the chase there is sufficient evidence from these posts that we do have two types of HGVS the Knights , who flash to let me in and the Nuts as seen by Kevin on the M5.

Seems to me Sadie saw all the Nuts in one go, hardly her fault.

The difference at 1mph over 100 miles is barely 3 minutes!!

Happy Christmas

Cheers

Alan

Aug 10, 2008
Visit site
"The difference at 1mph over 100 miles is barely 3 minutes!!"

Its actually very difficult to prove what the difference in time is, as there are so many other variants that cannot be taken in without doing a singular journey, but I guarantee that the answer is not 3 minutes, unless the road has no other traffic on it at all.

simple things like a slight hold up, means you can arrive at junction with a slip road and slower vehicles pulling out in front of you will lead to possibly longer delays,more vehicles to actually pass and the time taken to find the now extra gaps in the traffic to pass these extra take overs,all add up,and for lorries its not seconds,but extra minutes. Arriving at traffic lights as they go onto a sequence change that means before your hold ups you could possible have passed through all of them,now you are delayed at every set!

Of course this applies to all road users too,but an HGV driver has the added impediment of extra driving laws.

So to say 1 mph only adds up to a 3 minute delay over 100 miles would only be accurate if you were the only vehicle on that road.

Mar 4, 2006
Visit site
"The difference at 1mph over 100 miles is barely 3 minutes!"

I agree, and is there an unloading dock ready immediately the truck arrives?

Aug 10, 2008
Visit site
"The difference at 1mph over 100 miles is barely 3 minutes!"

I agree, and is there an unloading dock ready immediately the truck arrives?
What makes you think that most or all cargo's end up at a loading dock?

The same applies here as I responded to in the "only 3 minutes" bit. delays lead to extra delays!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jul 15, 2008
Visit site
Shady sadie attempted a 500 mile trip in one day whilst towing with a car and trailer combination.

This type of driving is very draining and tiring because of the restrictions and characteristics of the vehicle............

Could she have become a little ratty????????

The legal and speed restrictions on vehicles towing caravans and LGVs, are bound to put them into conflict on a motorway, especially if they are being observed!

There are obviously good and bad LGV drivers.

A technique that I employed as a truck driver and as a car driver whilst towing a caravan, is to loose 5mph if being overtaken slowly.

This gets rid of the conflict as soon as possible and maintains safety with little effect on journey times.

Truck drivers who probably drive their car to work, have to adjust mentally to the change of vehicle.

In my opinion, many car drivers fail to adjust mentally to the fact they are towing and try to keep to an unrealistic schedule.

Life is more important than time..............

Dec 30, 2009
Visit site

Could be the difference of me getting home from a long shift or having to stay out in the truck for the night 20 miles from home.

9 hours max driving or 10 hours 3 times a week thats it not a minuite over.

Dec 30, 2009
Visit site
In fact could be up to 500 miles in 9 hours so whats that........

15 minuites, times that by the amount of drivers a big firm has

as you can see alot of hours could be lost in a day.

Tesco and morisons had their trucks set well below 56mph for a long while to save fuel but they are now back up to the 56mph!!!

Kevin

Nov 29, 2007
Visit site
I've been waiting for someone to comment about Sadie's day. Well done Gafferbill. I too wondered about the wisdom of a trip of at least 522 miles towing a trailer, especially after going to a meeting first. Sadie must have spent a long time behind the wheel that day. Legal I know, but safe?

Jul 15, 2008
Visit site

Could be the difference of me getting home from a long shift or having to stay out in the truck for the night 20 miles from home.

9 hours max driving or 10 hours 3 times a week thats it not a minuite over.
Trucker ...... It has ever been thus.

The ofice will tell you that Ron etc. does that run quicker than you.

It's very easy to chase your tail being a trucker.... I used to know people who died doing just that.

Mar 26, 2008
Visit site
I think the real issue here is that a woman has had the nerve to question the "untouchables" and the MCP virus has obviously not been eradicated on this forum.

Of course I have a few years of driving experience, my license category has me listed for the following

A

B

BE

B1

C1

C1E

D1

D1E

So I do have a little more experience of driving than "little wifey and her runabout" and know a bit about Trucks.

The issue I brought up mainly concerned two HGV drivers and a few others, nothing to do with my temperament or where I was going or the distance I had to cover.

I've covered far greater distances with a caravan in tow solo, and always break up the journey with stops.

No one bothers to really read here it seems, rather than address the far to frequent issue I brought up g and others have jumped on the woman beating band wagon.

First post, I said "It didn't help me, the other trucks queued behind or many other motorists" where I was going had nothing to do with the bad driving of some truckers and trucks that ended up following to close together is dangerous and illegal. Just making an example is then turned in to a war by g who only wants to make his own fantasy world interpretation of another's posts for what I assume can only be for some demented pleasure rather than take on board another drivers experience and concern.

According to g the post was only about me, well it was not!

My further post also mentions my companion on the journey! I didn't realise that I had to give a full travel itinerary including number of toilet stops, drink and meal breaks or the distance my son's girlfriend drove.

I'm just glad we are away early in the morning for Christmas as there is not a lot of Christmas spirit around here!

A report on the BBC earlier today was about a car driver who was killed on a motorway and the first reports were that the car had gone under a lorry. No doubt some family is in mourning now.

Obviously I have no idea who was at fault. If a similar thing had happened on Thursday due to any of the truckers who would not give way to another of their colleagues thus assisting all road users could those drivers live with that and sleep easy at night?

I know I could not, but it seems that g and others don't really care they would rather try and pick on me.

We all make mistakes on the roads and pick up bad habits. Someone put that HGV's are mass destruction weapons compared to most other vehicles on our roads, how true!

All travel safely this Christmas.

Sadie

Jul 15, 2008
Visit site
Shady sadie......

It does not matter what type of license category you have or how far you can tow in one day.

The fact is you are expecting a Motorway utopia and you will not find it.

The "untouchables" are already one of the most highly regulated group of people on the planet, and some of them are still

pratts.

Even then you still completed 500 miles + deliveries in one day, so you could not have been balked that much.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
What started out as a valid topic containing broad agreement is now starting to degenerate into some sort of personal battle and a few insulting comments are starting to creep in.I'm not blaming any individual for this but it's got to stop.

Everyone is allowed to express an opinion on this forum and differing opinions form the basis of debate.

This is fine as long as the debate is constructive but if further personal attacks from any direction are submitted then I'm sorry to say that the debate will end.

Slanging matches only bring the entire forum into disrepute which is why they are no longer tolerated by the administrators of the forum.

Thank you for your co operation on this matter.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Happy Christmas Sadie.

Raise a pint or two in the pub, and for get life for a bit, but don't drive afterwards.

I can understand your anger at what apparently happened, and I guess most of us would also feel frustrated if we had been in the same situation, but I don't think the HGV drivers were actually breaking any laws.

I hope you have now used the forum to vent your anger, and are now as serene and mild mannered as you usually are.

Sad to say that this forum is not likely to change the world and magically remove all HGV from your path, so the next time it happens, how about pulling off the road and resting for about half an hour, by which time the duelling hgvs will have travelled a good few miles further on and probably completed their par-de-duo, (excuse my French) and the road will be clear and all will be sweetness and light and you may wend your merry way without hindrance, whistling a happy tune, - and they all lived happily ever after.

Well it seemed like a good fairy story to me.

Aug 10, 2008
Visit site
Sadie, it is clear that one should not disagree with you.!

Maybe you could also show the same consideration to others,with out trying to justify your opinion!and sticking to just facts

I noticed your licence entitlements!I do not know what the purpose of that was, They look like the same entitlements anybody else would have without any further training bar passing a car driving test prior to 1997! as B1 is not used any more on photo licence, and now A is for full bike, rather than a car as on the old licence.!!!!!

Aug 10, 2008
Visit site
"A report on the BBC earlier today was about a car driver who was killed on a motorway and the first reports were that the car had gone under a lorry. No doubt some family is in mourning now.

Obviously I have no idea who was at fault. If a similar thing had happened on Thursday due to any of the truckers who would not give way to another of their colleagues thus assisting all road users could those drivers live with that and sleep easy at night?

I know I could not, but it seems that g and others don't really care they would rather try and pick on me."

I find this statement absolutely disgusting! Some poor soul lost their life crashing and going under the back of a lorry!

From this and with no other facts, you would try to use this saddening event, that at present lays absolutely no blame what so ever on any HGV vehicle to some how back up some of your earlier claims!against HGV drivers!

That is so disgusting and clearly shows what lengths you will go to,to try justifying any statement you make and others disagree with.

Lets also hope that no members of that person immediate family use this site and read your quite frankly uncaring remarks at what must be a very painful time especially with xmas around the corner. Do you have no morality at all.

Its bad enough you play the female trump card,when it suits you! even though everyone on here knows you are more than capable of holding your own, but this time there are a few more who disagree with your opinion,so you play the weak female card!!!!

You have no real experience of HGV vehicles, although again somehow you show your licence entitlement,as if this would prove you did, yet it clearly shows you do not

I would suggest before you disagree with the vast majority of hard working,and safe driving HGV persons, you actually pass your test and see what REAL idiots you have to be on the look out for when you actually drive one of these vehicles, because you have no idea what so ever!!!!!!!!

And lastly my sympathies go out to that unfortunate person on the M1 and his family......

Mar 25, 2008
Visit site
G might be wearing a bit thin, but their argument is valid regardless. Why was Shadie Sadie in such a hurry that the loss of 4 mph was such a loss to her, I should think of a round trip of over 500 miles took a fair bit of time why worry if it took a little longer. It is men in suits that cause the aggro on roads by applying different speed limits not the actual motorist.

I will also agree with G that Shadie Sadie get's her HGV and see what it's like from the other side.

Andrew.

Mar 4, 2006
Visit site
I'm with Sadie.

Although the HGV drivers are acting legally, it does cause frustration to the following vehicles, and frustration becomes aggro, and aggro becomes bad driving and bad driving can cause accidents, probably later and miles from where the HGV drivers were driving side by side,

Frustration and aggro seem to be part of modern day life, and if we (HGV drivers included) can prevent it starting, so much the better.

Jan 12, 2007
Visit site
ok all of you lot moaning about hgvs

1.complain to the department of transport

2complain to you local mp

.......hang on a minute isnt that why speed limiters were brought out in the first place? when there was complaints about hgvs speeding?

would you please make your mind up because if hgvs do not have limiters we get seen as speeding homicidal idiots and now we have speed limiters fitted we are being told that we hold up traffic all the time

now for crying out loud make your mind up what you want if not stop moaning!

dont you think its a job hard enough as it is ?

sorry for that last comment as most of the people who moan about hgvs have no idea what a hgv driver has to put up with every day

sorry for the rant but this subject really ticks me off when as a hgv driver there is sod all i can do about it and im not excusing my driving when im sure i do more miles in reverse than what most car drivers do in a year

hgv dave

May 21, 2008
Visit site
I can fully understand Dave's annoyance as more often than not it is an inappropriatly driven vehicle (lorry or car) that causes most bottle necks.

Although I don't do more than 200 miles a day in the week, I'm a regular driver on the M5 at the weekend taking my daughter to and from uni.

I have both car and Hgv experience and tow trailers on a weekly basis. By having such a mix of driving I have to adapt my driving and attitude to suit. This seems to be the main ability missing these days.

People cannot drive appropriately so as not to be a hinderance to others yet be progressive at the same time.

A little thought and consideration goes a long way to reducing the boiling point of one's blood.

I invariably have people belt past me and then what do you know, I catch them up 3 miles down the motorway. So what is the point of hammering to the limit if "progress" isn't there either.

It's a good job I'm not a copper. I could fill a book of tickets in 10 minits dishing them out for inappropriate use of the lanes on a motorway. It would be more lucrative than any speed camera or tax disc camera!!

Steve L.

Dec 22, 2008
Visit site
when driving an hgv, the vehicle is allso affected by wind and turbulence caused by other large vehicles. for one hgv to be alongside another, shows that the outside vehicle has a slight speed advantage over the other. often once you pull along side the slower vehicle you are buffeted by his turulence or you are holding the wind off him, which then gives him a slight speed increase making it difficult to pass him. as for drivers slowing to let others in or pass, it takes a lot of effort to get 40 tons rolling. its not like taking you foot off the throttle in your car, when you can just accelrate back to the speed you were doing, hgv have 16 or 18 gears and to take your foot of the throttle would involve dropping down 2 or 3 gears to get your 40 ton back up to speed. if the hgv is only doing 56 mph, so what. if you are towing a trailer you can only do 60. as for holding other lorries up, they should also have limiters fitted. they must have been foreign, so good job. they are under cutting our drivers. they dont have to pay our road tax, which runs into thousands of pounds for our drivers. most of them dont stick to driving hours and dont have to maintain thier vehicles like uk drivers.

Jul 15, 2008
Visit site
when driving an hgv, the vehicle is allso affected by wind and turbulence caused by other large vehicles. for one hgv to be alongside another, shows that the outside vehicle has a slight speed advantage over the other. often once you pull along side the slower vehicle you are buffeted by his turulence or you are holding the wind off him, which then gives him a slight speed increase making it difficult to pass him. as for drivers slowing to let others in or pass, it takes a lot of effort to get 40 tons rolling. its not like taking you foot off the throttle in your car, when you can just accelrate back to the speed you were doing, hgv have 16 or 18 gears and to take your foot of the throttle would involve dropping down 2 or 3 gears to get your 40 ton back up to speed. if the hgv is only doing 56 mph, so what. if you are towing a trailer you can only do 60. as for holding other lorries up, they should also have limiters fitted. they must have been foreign, so good job. they are under cutting our drivers. they dont have to pay our road tax, which runs into thousands of pounds for our drivers. most of them dont stick to driving hours and dont have to maintain thier vehicles like uk drivers.
Raymond......

The fact that the overtaking LGV is along side, shows that it is going faster than you.

It may have run out of a speed advantage momentarily, and if you are negotiating a hill, it may falter and pull in behind you.

You would not drop the engine revs in this situation.

However prolonged running side by side by 90kph speed limited LGV's should be avoided if at all possible.

This is for safety reasons and the benefit of others on the motorway.

The best way to do this is for the overtaken LGV to drop it's speed slightly.

Invariably the overtaking truck soon regains his previous speed advantage and pulls away.

Do you really want to drive with a LGV along side you for mile after mile.... could be foreign registered!!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts