knocking noise inside behind water pump inlet

Aug 19, 2020
Visit site
Hello, not sure of the correct terminology here but I'll try to explain. Where the water pump comes into the caravan, on the inside there is a housing/box that takes in the pipe/water from the aquaroll outside. This little box vibrates when the pump/taps are used and gives off a knocking sound, not the clicking sound of the water pump working. Water is coming through all taps perfectly. Just drawing water either hot or cold and the housing 'knocks/vibrates', placing the tap inbetween both hot and cold, no knocking? is this an air lock or pressure problem? Our handbook tells us we have an 'ic' system with a little yellow box at the front of the other box for calibration but it most definitely does not, we think a change has been made somewhere. Caravan is a 2018 Elddis Xplore 554.IMG_20200904_1822094~2 (2).jpg

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
My first thought from the description suggests your caravan may have an internal pump. These are usually diaphragm pumps which do vibrate.

If that is so then the description in your hand book is wrong. Did you buy the caravan brand new or is it second hand?

Perhaps a previous owner has changed the pump for some reason.

Without seeing the installation we are not really able to identify if there is a real problem, or if its just been changed.

You might do well to consult teh caravan dealer you bought it from.

Aug 19, 2020
Visit site
My first thought from the description suggests your caravan may have an internal pump. These are usually diaphragm pumps which do vibrate.

If that is so then the description in your hand book is wrong. Did you buy the caravan brand new or is it second hand?

Perhaps a previous owner has changed the pump for some reason.

Without seeing the installation we are not really able to identify if there is a real problem, or if its just been changed.

You might do well to consult teh caravan dealer you bought it from.

Many thanks for replying. The caravan is new to us, one previous owner. I believe the pump is in the aquaroll outside, or is there also an electrical pump inside which activates the outside pump? the noise/vibration is inside. We are not using the caravan again till September, when I will attempt to post a photo of connection to better aid assistance. It seems noisy water pumps are a considerable problem to many caravan owners! Thanks again.

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
If the pump goes in the aquaroll then you do not have an internal pump as well.
The inlet sounds like a Whale unit which has a pressure switch in the "box" as you describe, which probably needs adjusting , there is a small screw inside the van on the "box" .
Try adjusting that one way or another until the water flows with no vibration, but does cut off as soon as the cold water tap is closed, and the pump keeps running for a short time when the Hot tap is closed.

Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
Ours -whale in the tub makes a groan type noise-works a treat though-not an issue for us-if it's working leave well alone!

Jul 3, 2020
Visit site
We have the same pump on our Affinity...

Have you checked that the recalibration isn't flashing a green light, the light should be solid green, but you can recalibrate it, instructions in the handbook.

But not noticed any other vibration noise/knocks coming from my whale pump, well not nay more noise to what I'd expect to hear when I turn any of the taps on....

Reactions: JezzerB
Aug 19, 2020
Visit site
constant clicking when drawing water, why? I have posted about this previously but then didn't have photo, plus i don't know how to add it to my original post!! any suggestions gratefully received. it's not the model that came with 2018 Elldis Xplore 554. suspect calibration with the white button is needed?

Aug 19, 2020
Visit site
everyone is being so helpful, thank you, though i have to say all the information is very confusing.... mainly because i have no idea what to call these components or that I am even describing the prolem accurately?

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
I surmise you have a "pressure switch" based system because of the described noise and mention of a "white button"?

With such systems drawing water drops the pressure in the supply pipe. This results in the pressure switch starting the pump, but only for a moment as the pump increases the pressure, so the pressure switch stops it again, and so on,
It is probably best just to accept it happens, but the activity can be reduced by adding an accumulator to damp its sensitivity. Fiddling with the white knob is unlikely to yield a long term solution.
An accumulator is just a device to hold an air bubble. This gives the system some compliance as the air compresses, whereas water can't, and that eases the sensitivity of the whole system.

I will see if I can find a link to one of these devices,

EDIT:
Accumulator

This device as supplied is fitted in a a pipe run after the pump, and be vertical. It can also with a bit of playing about be teed off the supply pipe and be physically located where it fits best, but should be vertical

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2012
Visit site
Sorry just had to come back in here . Our Van is a Sterling Elite Searcher and I had loads of trouble with water hammer.After several attempts to sort this out our onboard water tank ( Pump) failed.It was suggested I change it for a Sureflo pump which I did I still had water hammer but as suggested this pump is adjustable from the bottom of it This mad. quite a lot of difference but to cure it the problem and this may or may not be your problem we had to bleed the water system and this has cured the problem.
I hope this helps .Sir Roger .

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts