lake district ( cumbria ) caravan club sites

LMH

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The Lake District is beautiful Jo.

I've stopped at the CCC site at Penrith and it's lovely, spectacular views, very friendly wardens, immaculate shower room, good access.

Opps, you're not in the CCC club are you? LOL! I've stopped at Wild Rose in Appleby but it's quite expensive, they have an outdoor pool (well, they did), a play area, shop, it's got a barrier etc. But don't go the first week in June.

I've heard the CC Troutbeck Head site is excellent too.

I'm not sure if there's much for children to do in the area though, good walking and scenery I have to say.

Lisa

May 25, 2008
Visit site
Englethwaite Hall CC very nice site, but no toilet block. Tesco's at Penrith have a lovely nice warm toilet block though !!!!!

Apr 6, 2008
Visit site
Hi, We stayed at Troutbeck Head last summer for a week and it was excellent. We have 2 young children and easily filled a week. There are so many places to visit! There is Rheghed nearby which can fill a whole day - great when it rains (we went twice due to the weather which was pretty appalling!)as it includes soft play, child friendly shops and an AMAZING Sunday lunch!! I'd go back to this site in a flash (and probably will this year!)

Angel

Mar 13, 2006
Visit site
Hi Jo-anne, I agree with others on Troutbeck head, this is a lovely set out site set in a valley with lovely scenary and views.The site is set in between Penrith and Keswick and the access roads around are all good.We generally go back to Penrith to a lovely store called Cranstons for all our meat for barbecues and they do lovely cooked meat and cream cakes etc.The site itself is set on two layers and pitches are of a good size, most are hard standing. We usually like the pitches down near the stream.We have also been to meathop Fell but this site was quite hilly and pitches,toilet blocks etc werent as good. Everything about Troutbeck is ideal and we have booked to go back again, hope you book and enjoy this lovely site.

Feb 15, 2006
Visit site
hi thanks everyone keep them coming. ive booked a week in july on troutbeck head then up to scotland bunree site for 9 nights then edinburgh for 9 nights is 7 nights a troutbeck enough or will i need more?.

where do i go on the way back from edinburgh

jo

Jul 21, 2005
Visit site
Hi jo-anne

Another vote for Troutbeck which is a very nice site.

Also for south Lakes try Coniston (Park Coppice)CC site or a bit further south there is Meathop CC site (near Grange over Sands) which has the advantage of being open all year (no site inside the LDNP is allowed to open between November and end of March). Both sites are very different but both very nice with usual CC facilities.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Jo - anne

On your way home you could try a few nights at CC Low Moor Whitby. Lovely site but no toilet block, but the price reflects that. Plenty of CLs in that area too.

Troutbeck Head is beautiful but don't expect Alton Towers entertainment. Lovely Forestry Commission woodland walks right next door.

Cheers

Alan

Oct 21, 2008
Visit site
Braithwaite Fold CC Site in Bowness is worth a visit - its handy for the town and the lake is on the doorstep and the toilet block was refurbd a year or two back - but make sure you book in advance its always busy - Low Park Wood near Kendal is another nice site - its in the woods and has two toilet blocks and plenty of handy walks into the woods or down to the river - Meathop Fell is another we use near Grange over Sands and has different pitching areas mainly hardstandings and a central toilet block

Feb 15, 2006
Visit site
jon and everyone thanks. booked troutbeck but will me kids be bored. whats around?. were not huge walkers but we do like walking but kids cant walk far. we like beaches, castles sight seeing etc.

help

jo

Jul 21, 2007
Visit site

I've stopped at the CCC site at Penrith and it's lovely, spectacular views, very friendly wardens, immaculate shower room, good access.

Opps, you're not in the CCC club are you? LOL! I've stopped at Wild Rose in Appleby but it's quite expensive, they have an outdoor pool (well, they did), a play area, shop, it's got a barrier etc. But don't go the first week in June.

I'm not sure if there's much for children to do in the area though, good walking and scenery I have to say.

Lisa
Hello Lisa, we love the Penrith area and would love to stay at this cc&c site. Can you please give directions.

Kind regards - Linda

Mar 13, 2006
Visit site
jon and everyone thanks. booked troutbeck but will me kids be bored. whats around?. were not huge walkers but we do like walking but kids cant walk far. we like beaches, castles sight seeing etc.

help

jo
Hi Jo-anne there is lots to do around Troutbeck area, there is rookin house farm next door with loads of activities,fishing,quad bikes, pony riding etc. You can go out on a lake in a boat, you can visit Keswick, windermere, theres loads to do all within 20 miles of the site.

hope you enjoy, ps we are a family of four, kids aged 6 and 8 and we are going for our fourth time in april, its our favourite site and its only an hour or so from where we live.

cheers mike.

Jul 15, 2005
Visit site
The only thing I would add to the excellent reviews on this area is that parking on a sunny day (if you get one) in the principal

towns/vilages is horrendous. Keswick on market day is a lock-out and so is Ambleside. You have got to get out of the tourist traps to avoid congestion. brian.f

LMH

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site

Lisa
Hi Linda - please see separate posted I've made for you 'FAO Linda and emmerson'

Regards

Lisa

LMH

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Brian is perfectly correct about the congestion. I can't believe it hasn't been mentioned before. LOL!

Also worth mentioning is the parking disc scheme (don't get caught out with a parking fine like I did a few years agao):

Copied from the Eden website:

-------------

The Disc Parking Scheme in operation throughout Cumbria, gives drivers a greater opportunity to locate a short-stay, parking space closest to shops and town centre facilities, while encouraging the rapid turnover of available parking spaces.

Disc Zones offer free, time-limited parking on-street in Penrith and Appleby. Similar schemes are in operation in many areas of the country.

Obtain a free, clock disc (as illustrated) from shops in the town centre, displaying a parking poster. (Discs can be posted to you, prior to your visit from the Penrith Tourist Information Centres tel: 01768 867466 or e-mail parking@eden.gov.uk)

Display the disc clearly on the vehicle windscreen showing the correct time of arrival.

------

Lisa

Apr 6, 2008
Visit site
I'd agree with the above re parking, but having holidayed in the Lakes for the last 10 years or so we nearly always manage to park by getting to the towns etc reasonably early in the morning. We also use the parking disc as mentioned above. Any shop should be able to give you one. Other family friendly touristy ideas:

-Rheghed (I mentioned above in my earlier reply)

-Pencil museum Keswick

-The car ferry across Windermere (kids loved it!)

-Lake District Visitor Centre (think it's called Brockhole or something!)Windermere. Great adventure playground and nice lunches.

- Steamers on Ullswater

- Aira Force waterfall near Ullswater (has a tea room.. I sense a theme here..maybe I'm food obsessed!)

- Grasmere gingerbread shop (mmm)

There are hundreds of easyish walks suitable for kids too. We use the 'Lap map' which we got from a tourist info place which has easy walks in and the 'all terrain pushchair walks' books (don't know how old your kids are tho!)

I think you'll have a fab time, we always have!

Actually, I think sometimes the kids are happy anywhere if you give them ice cream!!

Happy hols

Angel

Feb 17, 2007
Visit site
I always think it is worthwhile having a disc in the car just in case you get into a disk parking zone whilst travelling without the blue badge holder. If they are free - some places charge - get a spare to offer to anyone without a disc themselves. That is a sort of catch 22 situation - do you run to get a disc meanwhile hoping you don't get booked for failure to display or go and find a pay and display park ?

Jul 21, 2007
Visit site

Lisa
Hi Lisa - read your message and have posted. Many thanks. Linda

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts