Lake Garda Italy - Best route?

Jul 2, 2006
Visit site
It looks like the 3 main routes south from Calais to Garda are via: Lyon, Munich or Basle.

Do any forum members have experience of any of the above or comments which is the best route.

All comments appreciated.

Brian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
There isn't really a best route!

Came back last year over the Brenner, Lake Konstanz and Strasbourg which is easier as most.

The Basle route over the San Bernardino is better now than it used to be judging by 'Top Gear' programme.

And I've not done the Lyon route

I'm thinking of that one for the future but more for Tuscany rather than Garda.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
There isn't really a best route!

Came back last year over the Brenner, Lake Konstanz and Strasbourg which is easier as most.

The Basle route over the San Bernardino is better now than it used to be judging by 'Top Gear' programme.

And I've not done the Lyon route

I'm thinking of that one for the future but more for Tuscany rather than Garda.
"is easier as most."

should be 'is easier than most.'

Mar 21, 2007
sites.google.com
Hi Vera and Brian.

I have been that way a couple of times and would choose a route through Belgium (free motorways) a stoppover in Luxembourg then through Germany and Austria via the Brenner Pass. An alternative return I can recomend is through Bolzano , Merrano then use the Resia pass down to Nauders and maybe stop at Imst, its easier this way than North to south as its downhill all the way. From there you could either return to Ulm via the easy Fern Pass or go towards St Anton and use the Arlberg tunnel en route to Lake Constance.

Regards

Dave

Apr 16, 2007
Visit site
Hi Vera and Brian

We went to Lake Garda last year and travelled via Basle and the San Bernadino pass. The pass is easy. We stopped in Cochem in the Moselle valley for a few days, then Basle and Lake Como before we arrived at Garda. Interestingly, Autoroute gives this route as the shortest, not that that is important on holiday! A lot of people complain about the vignettes required for the motorway in Switzerland, but it is only

Apr 16, 2007
Visit site
Vera and Brian

Re my post above - oooooooooooooops, I meant to say we went via the San Gothard tunnel, not the San Bernadio pass. I have travelled the San Bernadino pass on my motor cycle, and would not recommend it for a caravan - either way. Sorry for the confusion!

Lawrence

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts