Lake Garda

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi,We are going to Lake Garda next June via Austria and are looking for any feedback on the sites that take Camping Cheques by the Lake. We are thinking of stopping for a few days at Nattersee and would appreciate any comments on this site.We are towing a 24.5ft Twin Wheeler. PS Thanks for all your comments and feedback for best route some time ago. Cheers Gareth.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Very nice site. Lovely setting. Quite a climb from motorway but not too long and level at the top. BUT........when we were there, the entrance was very, very tight. With our twin I would NOT go back. I do seem to remember reading that it was going to be changed to make the access better. I would check this first. Happy travels. BarryB

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I have travelled fom the UK to Italy many times, both with a trailer and staying at hotels. I have travelled many routes with this one being the most scenic as well as the cheapest as far as tolls are concerned.

it depends for how long you are going to take for your holiday and I used to give it 4 days going to your final destination (say Florence) two weeks at the resort you want to stay at and 4 days return.

My usual route is basically. Dover to one of the channel ports, autoroute towards Belgium then to the Moselle Valley staying at cochem or at one of the numerous sites along the moselle. then down the rhine valley heading for Stuttgart turning right just before ULM down to kempton then into Austria (be carefull here because there is a steep decline down into the Inn Valley when you reach the motorway turn left and go towards the Brenner Pass which leads you to Italy and Lake Garda. do not take the first turning to Riva del Garda unless you intend staying at this end of the lake. Go on towards Verona (on the same Autostrada) and you will go towards GARDA town and along the lake you will find a lot of campsites and depending on the time of year it will pay to reserve you dates with one of them.

I would advise that you should not take the van over onto the otherside of the lake as most of the time you will meet tunnels and many many bends in the road.

If you want to travel to different parts of the lake use the ferries they are great and run on time.

Happy Holidays.

Jul 20, 2005
Visit site
We are thinking of perhaps trying Italy this year, so your tips are really helpful Shiraz, thanks.

We're going in June with a 4pm crossing by chunnel. Does anyone have any recommendations for a first night's stop? We'd reckon to do a couple of hours from the port first. I'm waiting for the CC's Europe directory vol 2 to arrive.

Mar 16, 2006
Visit site
We towed our Caravan to Italy each year 2002-2004 and now go with a tent in a roof box. With a 4pm crossing plus the time difference would recommend stay first night close to the Channel. We stayed in campsite in Gravelines. Then head Dunkirk, Lille, Mons, Namur, Luxembourg to the Rhine valley in Germany. We then stayed in a place called Dahn. Next day we went Stuttgart, Ulm, Munich, Innsbruck where we stayed at Camping Krannebitten. We they drove through the Brenner Pass into Italy direct to Tuscany. Fill up with fuel in Luxembourg and Austria. There are no motorway tolls until you reach Italy except for the Brenner Pass and a Tax disc for Austrian motorways (around

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts