Languedoc and Roussillon

Feb 17, 2008
Visit site
Thinking of going to Languedoc and Roussillon in May to June. I have read that it can be windy. Has anyone been there during this period and what type of weather can I expect? Is there any particular time of the year when it gets windy?

Jul 19, 2008
Visit site
The local wind called the tramontane appears spring and autumn - it is least windy July/August. We go there May/June for the wind as my dearest is a keen windsurfer. Did you want the wind?

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
It tends to be more windy along the coast, and the further south into Roussillon you go - from Narbonne south to the Spanish border. The Languedoc is a huge area with large parts inland, and inland areas are no more windy than anywhere else in France. We've been LOADS of times - and almost always in May and June - but usually we're in the Camargue area, or further inland in the 'department' of the Gard, and we've never been bothered by the wind especially. However further south we've known friends have to secure their tent down because of the wind.

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
You can find actual data about windspeed on this site: http://www.windfinder.com/wind-cgi/top_surfspots.pl?mode=statistic&country=fr - but honestly it's not that bad - I think most areas actually have less wind than we do in this country!!

Where exactly were you thinking of? I wouldn't let the thought of the wind put me off - it's so warm even in May and June, usually, that a bit of wind can be quite welcome to cool you down! As I said, we've been lots of times - and the only area where wind has ever been a problem is around Port Leucate and that area where it was a bit of a pain on the beach because the sand was blowing - but that was only for a day or two out of the fortnight. I really don't think you have any need to worry.

Feb 17, 2008
Visit site
Val thanks for the information. Will certainly check out the website. Thinking about going to Valras Plage near Beziers. Looks handy for visiting Carcassonne, Narbonne, Montpelier and inland to Tarn Gorge and Milau. Last year we stayed at Frejus (May to June) and experienced the Mistral. Had one or two nights with little sleep worrying about the awning. Heard one caravan behind us lost theirs.

Jan 2, 2006
Visit site
We have been to Perpignan a couple of times and never thought the wind an issue except on the autoroute between Narbonne and Perpignan when speed was down at times to around 20 mph to keep the outfit on the road.

Feb 26, 2007
Visit site
We have spent the past 3 summers on a campsite at Canet Plage, in July and each year it's been different!The first year was quite breezy with one or two scary moments, second year we had 1 windy day and it was really hot, last year it was windy almost all the time, and chilly with it sometimes!My advice would be go prepared with strong pegs to hold down the awning, also a strap to go over it and you should be ok - look at others camped near you and if they have straps etc on their awnings do likewise because the wind can blow up quickly when your away from the site, also remember to secure chairs, tables,parasols etc within the awning when you leave the site!

May 18, 2006
Visit site
Can anyone advise if these winds affect the Millau area, as we are going there in August. Last year it rained most of the holiday so I hope that this year strong winds will not spoil things!

Graeme.

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
I think it rained over most of France in August last year, but that was not typical weather. Millau is no more windy than anywhere else in France, but you may just be unlucky and get strong winds there - just as you might in any other part of France.

It's a lovely area, and there's loads to do and see - we've been in that area many times, and it's one of our favourite parts of France. Where are you staying - which site I mean?

Mar 15, 2007
Visit site
This area from Narbonne/Grissan to the Bay of Roses just over the Spanish border is popular with windsurfers like me because of the wind; Leucate/ Le Franqui often host windsurfing championshops including the Mondiale du Vent.The Tramontane blows offshore from the Pyrennees, it is gusty and can easily reach force 7 - I measured force 9 one day last May - and blows for up to a week. It can occur at any time of year but is less prevalent in the Summer months. The other wind is an onshore summer thermal breeze, the Marin, which seldom goes above a force 4 but which is still sailable with large kit. Rather than sit around on the beach why not take or hire some windsurfing kit and give it a go; there are plenty of spots for all levels of ability.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts