Last School Report?

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Nothing to do with caravanning. Today we were discussing our long forgotten youth.
My final year Primary School teacher ,Miss Mac Creish in 1964 told my parents on my report” I must choose my friends more carefully”!

🤪🤪🤪🤪🤪

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
My last one wasn’t issued as I left three weeks into the term. The first term that is, so there want sufficient to write about. Although the staffs only comments were likely to have been along the lines of “ thank heavens”

May 24, 2014
Visit site
Mine said, this child should go far, and the sooner he sets off, the better.

Seriously, one said "Ian seems to think he knows more than his teachers".
Looking back as a parent at those same teachers, I damn well know I did. Whilst there clearly are some excellent teachers about, there are some real nutcases amongst them too.

Reactions: Dustydog
May 24, 2014
Visit site
Some of the best:

• Would be lazy but for absence.
  • Since my last report, your child has reached rock bottom and has started to dig.
  • Your son sets low personal standards and then consistently fails to achieve them.
  • Works well when under constant supervision and cornered like a rat in a trap.
  • This student should go far, and the sooner he starts, the better.
  • This young lady has delusions of adequacy.
  • He has lots of good ideas but needs to learn that others do too.
  • It would seem that he thinks he is running the school and not me. If this attitude persists one of us will have to leave.
  • This student is depriving a village somewhere of an idiot.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
At least they gave an opinion. My grandsons school at one point gave almost every one a report suggesting the were average at everything so as to not run anyone down, or to make them seem better than the others. After the protests they have gone back to the truth, or near it, but will still not place children in order of ability.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
At least they gave an opinion. My grandsons school at one point gave almost every one a report suggesting the were average at everything so as to not run anyone down, or to make them seem better than the others. After the protests they have gone back to the truth, or near it, but will still not place children in order of ability.
Order of ability is not really required as how do you score someone very good at maths but no so hot in other areas against someone with excellent ability in art or geography. Most schools these days set the students on tracks and assess them against progress on the tracks. Our granddaughter schools extensively use tracks, but still give out awards at the end of year.

May 24, 2014
Visit site

Believe it or not, I was a grammar school boy, expected to go to Oxford, not Aldershot, or at the very least Sandhurst. But the school I went to was extremely hot on sports, and incredibly competitive. It didnt do us any harm to compete and rather than cause the weaker ones a problem, they tended to do better in their careers and career choices.

When my girls were at school, competitive sport was frowned on and they brought out that ten step rubbish, where you compete against yourself. I always said to their teachers that the very nature of life is competitive and this isnt preparing them for it. They tended to agree but of course their hands were tied by the lentil munching tree hugging brigade that seem to wheedle their way in everywhere.

And that period of spell it how you say it used to drive me crazy. I always told the girls to get the grammar, punctuation and spelling right, as it shines out on an application form. They used to tell me everyone of their generation does it that way. I used to tell them their application forms were probably being scrutinised by my generation.

Recently too, we acquired a book written by one of my contemporaries, but a year before mine, and my wife, who had heard my tales of the brutality inflicted on us by the priests, realised I hadnt been exagerating, rather understating the period, and was stunned and upset by what she read concerning the visciousness of the punishments meted out. Nowadays, they would get a prison sentence for what they did to us. It was just pure physical brutality with canes and straps, including the whalebone strap and one even had a strap with two tails that he had made. Six on each hand for untidy writing was one of theirs and this was in the seventies. My mates that went to comprehensive schools never believed what we went through. My hatred of priests knows no bounds. I left school at 16 and joined the army at 17, which in turn led me to never return to my home area, and was perhaps for the best as I never met any of them again.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts