legal theft of caravan

Aug 28, 2005
Visit site
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
That is truly appalling, pity they were not insured with the caravan club, they cover both caravans when you purchase another caravan for a short period of time, presuming that is what happend in this case.i feel so very sorry for them, but let it be a lesson to others to make sure your pride and joy is coverd by insurance at all times.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Yet another Alice in Wonderland tale involving the Human Rights legislation where the rights of criminals and those found to be in posession of stolen goods are upheld before the rights of the victim
smiley-yell.gif

I can't help wondering why the couple hadn't insured their caravan though and would you want your caravan back if it had been lived in by travellers since 2011?
I wouldn't!

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Parksy said:
Yet another Alice in Wonderland tale involving the Human Rights legislation where the rights of criminals and those found to be in posession of stolen goods are upheld before the rights of the victim
smiley-yell.gif

I can't help wondering why the couple hadn't insured their caravan though and would you want your caravan back if it had been lived in by travellers since 2011?
I wouldn't!
Parksy carrying on from the thread I started a while back about the stolen caravan where it was known to be on a travellers site and the police refused to recover it, it was subsequently recovered by the tracker company when it was sold and found to be on the road.
The travellers had sold it for £11,000 so the new owners have no van!! Think the van is still in police compound(deciding on who the rightful owner is) but when the rightful owner went to inspect it it was SPOTLESS. cleaner then when it was new!!

May 7, 2012
Visit site
It makes you wonder what this country is coming to. The most senseless piece of information I have heard from the police for a long time. You do wonder what would happen if the owners simply turned up and towed it away, they would probaly be arrested for stealing their own property.

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Ray it's an excuse for them not to enter a travellers site,
If they wont go in what chance have the rightful owners got,?

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
I' d like to know a bit more about " in between insurance at time of theft"
Time for a vigilante grouo perhaps.? Surely you cannot commit a crime recovering your own property?

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Oh yes you can, that is why you committ a criminal offence if you try and force out squatters. You need a court order for an eviction and then the police will assist.

May 27, 2005
Visit site
If you unknowingly buy a car that has been ringed, or a stolen car you can expect to have this repossessed at sometime and no compensation. So why can't POLICE recover this caravan, after all its stolen property.

Sep 2, 2012
Visit site
Another thing about this sad business is the fact that the couple, who own the van, are still paying £250/month finance.
They are paying for the travellers to live in their stolen van!!

Unbelievable.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
tradewinds said:
Another thing about this sad business is the fact that the couple, who own the van, are still paying £250/month finance.
They are paying for the travellers to live in their stolen van!!

Unbelievable.
If they unfortunate couple bought the caravan via a hire purchase agreement or on a credit card there is a glimmer of hope because it will be the resposibility of the finance company to take steps to get the caravan recovered as it is they who are technically the owners.
They should get in touch with the fiance company without delay.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
In today's daily express the couple decided not to insure as they felt the premiums were too expensive.
A shame but they took a calculated decision to carry the risk themselves. Food for thought for all of us.
Can their MP and recently elected Police Commissioner help?

Mar 2, 2010
Visit site
While theyve got my sympathy no insurance is madness and also says they cut through a wheel clamp,that van was fitted when new with Alko locks on both wheels,while they are a real pain they are very difficult to remove,C&CC who I insure with arent bothered about trackers if Alko wheel lock is fitted as they are so effective.I'd bet they weren't fitted and an easier to use clamp fitted instead.

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
joeby said:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2381292/Police-let-gypsy-family-stay-couples-30-000-stolen-caravan-moving-breach-human-rights.html
I just couldnt believe what i was reading , a couple had there caravan stolen , but Police said they cant have it back , because it be against the human rights of the Gypsy family living in it , it does not seem to matter that they commited theft , this will open the doors for a lot more of this crime , click on the link above to read

Quite frankly I think that it is the DM capitalising and then creating sensationalism to sell the paper and we are not seeing the full story. Firstly the police are condoning an offence which would then open the floodgates to criminials if they know they can hide behind the Human Rights Act. Secondly as the caravan has not been recovered, the insurance company are liable. Thirdly the caravan is on HP so a matter for the finance company to resolve. Also who in their right mind would spend £10,000 to upgrade a Bailey Caravan and not insure it? Suspicious? Even if it was insured old for new, the caravan woudl only be worth £20,000 and not £30,000. Lastly if you knew it was being used by another family, would you want it back anyway?

BTW isn't buying stolen goods an offence any more as there is no ways you could buy a late model damp riddled caravan for £300 in any pub unless you knew it was dodgy?

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
Deli Dave_ said:
While theyve got my sympathy no insurance is madness and also says they cut through a wheel clamp,that van was fitted when new with Alko locks on both wheels,while they are a real pain they are very difficult to remove,C&CC who I insure with arent bothered about trackers if Alko wheel lock is fitted as they are so effective.I'd bet they weren't fitted and an easier to use clamp fitted instead.
I could be wrong, but weren't those caravans fitted with trackers as standard in addition to ALKO wheel locks?

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Surfer said:
Deli Dave_ said:
I could be wrong, but weren't those caravans fitted with trackers as standard in addition to ALKO wheel locks?

Hi Surfer.

This stinks.
The DE Today says in its editorial it's the EU fault
They may be right? ?
BUT we are governed by English Law.
Are we British or what?
The owner here seems totally stupid if I believe the papers.

Dave
His louisiana looks like a series 5. I think they were not fitted with the Al-ko wheel locks or tracker.
That said whk wouldn't insure?

Mar 8, 2009
Visit site
Why blame the mail Surfer? I watched the story on South Today (yesterday or day before) no mention of the Mail, who would you believe the story from?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Our series 5 Wyoming did not have a tracker fitted as standard,and it came with 2 Alko wheel locks,which were still in the original packaging when we traded it in.This story seems to me to be a bit strange,the figures of 20k upped to 30k for that particular van don't seem right even allowing for an Isabella awning,and an Ac unit I think you would struggle to get a series 5 up to 30k.When our garage was broken into my stepson lost his mountain bike,police didn't want to know until we told them it was worth 2 grand and that he had every receipt for the parts.Even then it was only when we saw it on e bay, and told the police we intended going and getting it back that they acted. They raided the house at 6 oclock in the morning and recovered the bike,the 'victim' of the raid claimed that he did not know the bike had been stolen and had texts on his mobile phone showing he had asked the person who sold it to him whether it was stolen,on that basis he was never charged with anything,even though the police recovered other stolen items and a quantity of drugs at the same time.It seems from what I have read and heard that the issue in the caravan case is the fact that the family living in the van will be made homeless although I can't see why their rights overide the legitimate owners.

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
Gabsgrandad said:
Why blame the mail Surfer? I watched the story on South Today (yesterday or day before) no mention of the Mail, who would you believe the story from?
For a start they couldn't have used their "life savings" as at £250 over 8 years that works out to about £24000 so the deposit must have been very low. Secondly the caravan was worth £20,000 when bought brand new in 2007 so how can it now be worth £30,000? When it was stolen it was probably only worth about £14000 or less! Thirdly by nor insuring it, they broke the Terms of the HP agreement which spefically states that the caravan should be insured. Fourthly the caravan does not belong to them as the rightful owner is the finance company. DM seems to have missed all these facts.
I find it hard to garner any sympathy for them except the facts reagrding the police condoning "theft" and also the current occupiers" receiving stolen goods"! But as I said before, would you want it back?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Woa, just hang on a minute,

AS so often happens it seems on forums, a spark of a story is started, but then contributors start jumping to conclusions based on guesses or unreliable information.

We don't have all the facts and perhaps the facts we have been given have been chosen to make the story more newsworthy. I suspect we don't have the whole story, so it isn't wise to start laying the blame without proof.

No one deserves to have property stolen, but it seems if we don't protect it we are are seen as being almost as guilty as the thieves.
With so many means of selling secondhand goods these days, we can all easily become innocent victims of purchasing stolen goods.

There are a number of ways of obtaining loans, not all of them use the goods purchased as collateral, so there may not have been a requirement to have the caravan insured, if the loan was secured against something else, or it may even have been an unsecured loan.

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
hi Prof

Trouble is many will jump to conclusions without posting a view and then the story does the rounds as almost being fact..
Surfer is so right on so many pionts with or without all the facts and having read the story and indeed the responces let me make
it clear. we all think that those living in the caravan are guilty of stealing it,right? But the police dont have enough to charge them with
that and not even enough to charge them with recieving either.. As the caravan appears to be their home, then its unlikely any judge without some proper proof would evict them from their home.this is not a straight case of a caravan being stollen and all the reports written make no mention of that fact instead make issues about it being against their human rights! when good old english law would
do exactly the same thing given the lack of proof....
If anything can be taken from this sad story its what we already know dont skimp on insurance and seek legal advice straight way. the story lacks real credence.but should serve as a warning..

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Jonny,

The story does contain a number of inconsistencies, which in my view, leaves more questions than answers. The circumstances do seem quite strange, and consequently makes me suspect there is quite a lot more to this story than meets the eye or we have been given. For these reasons alone I think it is unsafe to jump to the same conclusions the story implies.

Despite the point above I still have sympathy for people who's caravan has been stolen.

Mar 2, 2010
Visit site
[/quote]
Had a S5 Indiana so have still got brochure(I am a saddo) :- Exterior spec includes Alko secure portable wheel lock and jack,security includes IDM_4 infra red security alarm Selectamark electronic tagging Single key operation to all doors and VIN number etched on windows and on chassis number.
Whatever they spent on it its still only worth about £6K imo.

Regards

Dave

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts