Leisure battery

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
It all depends on how you plan to use the caravan. Will you be looking to spend time off of grid, or always on sites with electric hook up. Do you plan to have a solar panel with you? If you have a motor mover then I would recommend as large a battery as you can fit as the mover can draw down battery especially if you have to manoeuvre the caravan of off a muddy pitch using mover. Last week I was in Shropshire and the outfit next to us had to be rescued from a narrow lane that they had gone down in error. The mover had been used lot getting off their storage site and their journey wasnt very long. So trying to turn the van in a farm entrance and extricate the caravan from this single lane they used the auto facility to wind on the mover, but it hadn't enough battery power to use it to move the caravan. But the auto withdraw facility then wouldn't work. so they were well and truly stuck. Hadn't realised the mover had an emergency manual winder. But it was dark, no lights, foggy etc and only the second trip with the caravan.

My recommendation would be a 110 amp hr lead acid leisure battery, not a car starter battery. I once bought a battery on line and it developed a fault. The supplier a large online one, agreed eventually to accept it back for exchange. But there are very few recognised national carriers who would accept a used lead acid battery for carriage. So after a long debate the supplier arranged to have their delivery company collect it as long as I had packaged and SEALED the package to the carriers satisfaction. So no more on line ones for me. And I then realised that my local caravan outlet sold good quality leisure batteries at not much more than the online supplier. Such is the power of competition. I use Numax, or Yuosa or Bosch. But others such as Exide, Lucas etc will be fine. I wouldn't go for brands you've never heard of. There is a large range of prices for what ostensibly seem similar products. But if looked after properly I've never had a battery fail on me, except for one brand which is no longer available; Elecsol. They generally leave me when the caravan moves on, and I then tend to start again with a new one. Below is the Camping and Caravan data sheet 33 link.

https://www.campingandcaravanningclub.co.uk/helpandadvice/technicalhelp/datasheets/guide-leisure-batteries/

May 25, 2008
Visit site
Hi sorry if I didn't explain,no my friend will tow it down to site near Aberdarron then once it's sited that's it other than storage near site it will not be towed anywhere.We don't have solar panels electric is part of the site fees hope this helps and thanks antater

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
antater said:
Hi sorry if I didn't explain,no my friend will tow it down to site near Aberdarron then once it's sited that's it other than storage near site it will not be towed anywhere.We don't have solar panels electric is part of the site fees hope this helps and thanks antater

Well a 75amp hr would be more than enough and get you through in the event that the site power drops out at any time.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Basically I would buy the cheapest leisure battery you can find, as if it is connected to the mains all the time it is only there to regulate the current flow.

Jun 11, 2012
Visit site
Check the battery prices at Tayna batteries. I t may be as cheap to buy a 110 amp battery as a smaller amp one . Tayna a very reputable dealership. I believe they deal in nothing else but batteries so able to keep prices down .That way should there be problems on site you have a good battery back up . Just my thoughts and there is nothing wrong with posters above this one .
Sir Roger.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
SirRogerFFS said:
Check the battery prices at Tayna batteries. I t may be as cheap to buy a 110 amp battery as a smaller amp one . Tayna a very reputable dealership. I believe they deal in nothing else but batteries so able to keep prices down .That way should there be problems on site you have a good battery back up . Just my thoughts and there is nothing wrong with posters above this one .
Sir Roger.

I bought an Elecsol battery from Tanya and one of its handles broke. Devil of a job getting seller to accept their responsibility. Then devil of job to return a used lead acid battery. I’ve detailed this in my earlier post and others a good while back. Since then I’ve used local outlets who are a bit more expensive than online but still competitive and far easier to deal with if, or when, things go wrong.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
otherclive said:
SirRogerFFS said:
Sir Roger.

I bought an Elecsol battery from Tanya and one of its handles broke. Devil of a job getting seller to accept their responsibility. Then devil of job to return a used lead acid battery. I’ve detailed this in my earlier post and others a good while back. Since then I’ve used local outlets who are a bit more expensive than online but still competitive and far easier to deal with if, or when, things go wrong.

My “historical” posts are under Battery Company Gone Bust.

Jun 11, 2012
Visit site
Other Clive sorry to hear your problem over Tayna batteries but I would just like to add that there are several of us on the Forum bought from Tayna so I would hope the OP wont be put off by one bad incident (.Gel batteries also available at Tayna)
Sir Roger

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
SirRogerFFS said:
Other Clive sorry to hear your problem over Tayna batteries but I would just like to add that there are several of us on the Forum bought from Tayna so I would hope the OP wont be put off by one bad incident (.Gel batteries also available at Tayna)
Sir Roger

But have you ever had to return a used battery to an online supplier even if they accept a return?

Jun 11, 2012
Visit site
Other Clive No I havnt had to send a battery back via online shopping but the point Im making nobody else on here thats bought from Tayna have had problems. Like many things you come across thats mass produced you always find one bad one .
Sir Roger

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Batteries are notoriously hard to get a refund/replacement,I deal with car batteries,and suppliers want the battery back fully charged ready to check,guess what,it checks ok,no warranty.
Having said the above its extremely rare to get a duff battery.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
SirRogerFFS said:
Other Clive No I havnt had to send a battery back via online shopping but the point Im making nobody else on here thats bought from Tayna have had problems. Like many things you come across thats mass produced you always find one bad one .
Sir Roger

Irrespective of where I bought it from after having finally got the online Seller to accept their responsibility for the item it needs to be realised that a used lead acid battery isn’t transported by your normal companies cuz DPD, Royal Mail etc as it’s classed as hazardous waste. As such you have to use a licenced waste carrier, but these tend to be local companies specialing in taking the batteries to a recycling Center. Even when you can get transport back to the seller the sealing and packaging isn’t a trivial exercise.

I’ve had a number of Car Caravan batteries from online sellers so I can appreciate the benefits. But my experience as coloured my view of future purchases.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts