Les Peupliers

Sep 22, 2006
Visit site
Hi All

Have been looking at sites in the Gorges du Tarn,and liked the look of "Camping Les Peupliers",and wondered if anyone had used this site, or any other in the region, and could give me any advice. Thanks in advance for any help.

Clive jw

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Clive, we were there in May/June this year, for the second time. It's a very pleasant site, right on the River Tarn (lovely for canoeing, straight from the site). The pitches are a very good size, although some are quite difficult to access. The riverside pitches are lovely - watch kingfishers right outside your pitch! The toilet blocks are kept very clean (check out the two-storey block). There is a smallish pool with slide, a smallish restaurant, with limited menu (have to say we weren't impressed but others were). There's a small bar (friendly and very pleasant - with quiz nights which are great fun). The owner/managers are lovely friendly people (she remembered us last year from only a two night stop a couple of years before). Bread on site is the best we've eaten (if you like it well done and crunchy) - the taste is superb. The patisserie in Meyrueis and in Riviere sur Tarn do the best fruit tarts and quiches in France (and I've sampled a few!!!!).

Vultures fly overhead in the thermals, and lots to see and do in the area - highly recommended. Would go again.

Jul 2, 2006
Visit site
Clive, we were there in May/June this year, for the second time. It's a very pleasant site, right on the River Tarn (lovely for canoeing, straight from the site). The pitches are a very good size, although some are quite difficult to access. The riverside pitches are lovely - watch kingfishers right outside your pitch! The toilet blocks are kept very clean (check out the two-storey block). There is a smallish pool with slide, a smallish restaurant, with limited menu (have to say we weren't impressed but others were). There's a small bar (friendly and very pleasant - with quiz nights which are great fun). The owner/managers are lovely friendly people (she remembered us last year from only a two night stop a couple of years before). Bread on site is the best we've eaten (if you like it well done and crunchy) - the taste is superb. The patisserie in Meyrueis and in Riviere sur Tarn do the best fruit tarts and quiches in France (and I've sampled a few!!!!).

Vultures fly overhead in the thermals, and lots to see and do in the area - highly recommended. Would go again.
please can you tell me if the pitches are seperated by hedges ,and are they big enough to accomadate a twin wheel with awning.we are looking for a site in this area and we like sites that have the pools etc to keep the kids happy but not to big and commercial we also have a large twin wheel and like a large hedged pitch and clean sanitry facilitys.we also take a kayak with us so the river would be good ,is it a fast flowing river,any more info appreciated

Jul 2, 2006
Visit site
any more comments on les peupliers in the gorge du tarn we are looking to book in that area for summer hols we have a twin wheel caravan so we would like large pitch preferably hedged

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
There are some very large pitches, and most, if not all, are hedged between, giving a fair amount of privacy. The riverside pitches are particularly nice. I can't remember our pitch number but we were on the riverside both times and each time had a pitch big enough for van, awning, pergola, and car!!!

If there's a map of the site, then I think the best pitches are to the right of the reception area, looking towards the river, on the riverbank. Because there's no-one opposite you it's also easier to manoeuvre on to the pitches. I should contact the site owners and book if you're going in high season. We were there in late August and there were plenty of free pitches.

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
Just read the remainder of your 'comment' - the river is excellent for kayaking, with different 'flows' of water at different spots. Downstream from the siteis more gentle, but if you go upstream then there are areas of real 'white water' - and indeed there are organised white-water rafting excursions from further upstream. There are also loads of canoes in high season (when we were there one day we were the only people on the river - heaven). Even by the site itself there are some 'interesting' rocks and rapids which are exhilarating to go through. The scenery is spectacular - I'm sure you'll love it.

Sep 22, 2006
Visit site
Hi Val. Its me again ,have booked "Les Peupliers" for May thanks again for your help. Have you any suggestions for the journey down,All the the route finders I have tried send you around Paris, but that seems to busy for me, anyway thanks again, and have a happy Christmas and a healthy New Year.And the same to all forum users

Clive JW

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
I'll get back to you with the route we normally use (its around Paris, but even further out than then M25 is from London) - and it's easy. There is another route, via Rouen, which we used last year, which was very pleasant. If you use Mappy.com and put in 'Rouen' as a 'via' or stop, then it may come up with the goods - otherwise I'll get back to you in the New Year.

In the meantime, have a Happy Christmas and New Year - same to everyone reading this forum, and think on, now we're on 22nd December the days will start growing longer again soon!!! Can't wait.

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
James - the route we'd normally use is Calais to Senlis on the A1 autoroute (gets the first bit out of the way quickly - and we stay overnight on an aire - but if you don't want to do this then Chateau de Gandspette is a good overnight stop just off the autoroute at Eperleques), then off the autoroute cross-country to Ermenonville, then back towards Paris on the (was) N2 - then skirt around south-east of Paris on the Francilienne (was the E/N104) - lovely route. At the Evry junction we take a short hop on the A6 down to Nemours, then the N7/A77 through Nevers/Moulins, and the N9 down towards Vichy, where we head to Gannat, and on to the A75. We have an overnight stop just around Clermont Ferrand. This free autoroute is spectacular and takes us right down to just north of Millau where we come off at Aguessac, then over the bridge and left to Le Peupliers! A lot of this route is toll-free - and we've done it so many times we even know where the best patisseries are on the way down - how sad is that!

When I mentioned the Rouen route I forgot we were heading towards the Dordogne to see friends, so much further 'east' - however you can do that way - Boulogne/Rouen/Evreux/Chartes/Orleans/Clermont Ferrand/ - if you don't mind more tolls.

Sep 22, 2006
Visit site
James - the route we'd normally use is Calais to Senlis on the A1 autoroute (gets the first bit out of the way quickly - and we stay overnight on an aire - but if you don't want to do this then Chateau de Gandspette is a good overnight stop just off the autoroute at Eperleques), then off the autoroute cross-country to Ermenonville, then back towards Paris on the (was) N2 - then skirt around south-east of Paris on the Francilienne (was the E/N104) - lovely route. At the Evry junction we take a short hop on the A6 down to Nemours, then the N7/A77 through Nevers/Moulins, and the N9 down towards Vichy, where we head to Gannat, and on to the A75. We have an overnight stop just around Clermont Ferrand. This free autoroute is spectacular and takes us right down to just north of Millau where we come off at Aguessac, then over the bridge and left to Le Peupliers! A lot of this route is toll-free - and we've done it so many times we even know where the best patisseries are on the way down - how sad is that!

When I mentioned the Rouen route I forgot we were heading towards the Dordogne to see friends, so much further 'east' - however you can do that way - Boulogne/Rouen/Evreux/Chartes/Orleans/Clermont Ferrand/ - if you don't mind more tolls.
Hi Val

Have just read the route you posted for James, it looks just what I was looking for to keep us off the Paris peripherique. Thanks again for your help.

Clive J

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
James - have a lovely holiday in Les Peupliers - we'll be thinking about you - or may even be back there ourselves! We're the couple who look too old to canoe (we had someone offer to help us carry ours to the river last year) - but who can still be seen frolicking around in the river like 15 year olds!!!!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts