Levelling a twin axle

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
At the moment we use the yellow levelling ramps, but as we have the ALKO lock it can be a PITA. A few people have mentioned that they use wooden planks as they can raise the caravan plus you can move the caravan to the correct position so that you can line up the receiver. The drawback with wooden planks is their weight plus they get dirty easily.
However as you can now buy plastic planks which are normally used for outside decking, I thought that this may be a better proposition as they should be lighter with flexibility. They come in three sizes;
  • 18mm x 140mm x 3m/3.6m black and brown: very flexible
  • 24mm x 140mm x 3m brown: quite a high degree of flexibility
  • 38mm x 140mm x 3m / 3.6m brown with a rough surface: less flexible
I am wondering if this would be a practical route to follow?

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Looks a good proposion to me.
I still carry and use the wooden plank.
Do you remember Steve In Leo's method using the standard milenco type ramps?

Feb 9, 2009
Visit site
Our caravan storage site is on grass which get a bit muddy in the winter. I use Milenco grip mats to get the caravan to the car as I have to use the mover due to restricted space.
I take the mats with me and use them as a leveller and it seems to work. I have eight mats, more than enough to level the caravan. I only ever need to use a max of 3 on one side which leaves 2 available if I need to use them to get off a site.

Jun 11, 2012
Visit site
Surfer.Steve in Leos method to level a T/A was this and I still use it today.I use two of the large yellow Levelling blocks but first of all measure the distance between the centre of the hub on axle one and axle two (Keep this safe).Try a practice run by placing the levelling blocks back to back and space them out to the measurement you took between axles if you now drive on or reverse on so that the rear wheel is going down the levelling block and the front wheel is now going up the levelling ramp once you have an equal level on the blocks check for level .You should find your van very close to being level. Forgot to say place the levelling blocks under the side that needs levelling. I hope this helps.
Sir Roger

Jun 24, 2005
Visit site
SirRogerFFS said:
....Try a practice run by placing the levelling blocks back to back and space them out to the measurement you took between axles if you now drive on or reverse on so that the rear wheel is going down the levelling block and the front wheel is now going up the levelling ramp once you have an equal level on the blocks check for level ....
Sir Roger

Not quite sure I understand this - do you run the back wheel up the front block, over the top and then continue down? Also, how do people use planks to level the van? I can see how a plank can be used to run the wheels on so that the lock receiver is in the right position but that doesn't make the van level - or should I use a number of planks to get the level right? At present, I use one levelling block on a T/A caravan - is this not ok?

Apr 15, 2011
Visit site
I have made a smaller wooden levelling block which slides in between both wheels. If, as the wheel runs up this, I need more length, I then run onto a block. Both wheels need lifting to the same height.

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
SirRogerFFS said:
Surfer.Steve in Leos method to level a T/A was this and I still use it today.I use two of the large yellow Levelling blocks but first of all measure the distance between the centre of the hub on axle one and axle two (Keep this safe).Try a practice run by placing the levelling blocks back to back and space them out to the measurement you took between axles if you now drive on or reverse on so that the rear wheel is going down the levelling block and the front wheel is now going up the levelling ramp once you have an equal level on the blocks check for level .You should find your van very close to being level. Forgot to say place the levelling blocks under the side that needs levelling. I hope this helps.
Sir Roger

The issue is not actually the levelling, but is being able to line up the receiver for the ALKO Secure lock. Once you get it to the correct height you probably will need to move the caravan either ofrwards or backwards to line up the receiver. This is easier if the top surface was flat like being on a raised flat plank allowing this to happen. We would be interested in the plastic planks as they would be easier to wipe clean and can be cut limke wood to specified lengths, however I am finding it difficult to compare the weight of the plastic plank against the weight of a similar wooden plank. Size is 25mm x 136mm x 6000mm.
Update; the weight of the plank is 23kgs so now need to compare that
against a similar size wooden deck plank

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
I have tried various ways - I prefer using a Kojack, raise the caravan, spin the wheels and fit the Alko wheel locks, then lower the wheels onto a plank ( or 2 )
I carry a small piece of wood to stand the jack on in case of soft ground

This always works for me - I have to do this each time in storage anyway ( only takes a few mins )

Andy

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
andy p said:
I have tried various ways - I prefer using a Kojack, raise the caravan, spin the wheels and fit the Alko wheel locks, then lower the wheels onto a plank ( or 2 ) I carry a small piece of wood to stand the jack on in case of soft ground
This always works for me - I have to do this each time in storage anyway ( only takes a few mins )
Andy

Unfortunately neither of us can use a jack hence the plastic wood question.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts