Lexus U250H Hybrid SUV

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
My neighbours friend lost control of his Lexus and from 15 feet away applied full throttle in error and hit her house. £20k damage to the building and rather surprisingly the Lexus has been written off £37k. Allegedly repairing moderately damaged EVs is not a preferred option . No details why.
May be all modern day cars are not easily repairable??3C8D6D1C1-C107-4B4D-8D8C-30CFCC996C7D.jpeg

• Wow
Reactions: Hutch
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
My neighbours friend lost control of his Lexus and from 15 feet away applied full throttle in error and hit her house. £20k damage to the building and rather surprisingly the Lexus has been written off £37k. Allegedly repairing moderately damaged EVs is not a preferred option . No details why.
May be all modern day cars are not easily repairable??3View attachment 3909
Ouch, I think hybrid or not that would have been a policy write off. Whether it may come into a repairable write off category would be interesting. Two lots of increased premiums to look forward to. ☹️

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I was very surprised the car was written off. The following gives some ideas why , may be??

https://uk.ppgrefinish.com/en/news/2020/06/electric-car-repair-6-things-you-need-to-know/
Wonder where the hybrid system battery lives. The car had an oblique front impact which can skew the other load absorbing members. My wife’s Saab 9000 had similar. Did not even lead to airbag inflation but was written off by the insurers. Albeit not as high value as the Lexus. The other thing possibly influencing the insurer would be the costs of repairs affected by uncertain parts availability combined with storage charges and hire car for the policyholder. With new cars being on 6-12 month delivery obtaining parts fora Lexus could be very uncertain.

We ordered a new recliner in January 2022, delivered July 2022, mechanical failure on day 1, replacement parts 6-10 weeks, now told that the company are concentrating on new deliveries and not supplying spares, so a replacement chair is scheduled for end December 2022. So if that is the situation for something relatively unsophisticated I can only imagine what it would be like for a complex car.

Last edited:
Reactions: Buckman
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Some of you will remember the Churchill jigs and pullers used to straighten cars out in the 70s. Maybe todays steels and crush zones can’t be straightened? Plus seems the paint booth ovens are too hot for the batteries? If it took two weeks and £1200 to fix my small dent this Lexus might take months. What a throw away society we live in🤪🤪

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Some of you will remember the Churchill jigs and pullers used to straighten cars out in the 70s. Maybe todays steels and crush zones can’t be straightened? Plus seems the paint booth ovens are too hot for the batteries? If it took two weeks and £1200 to fix my small dent this Lexus might take months. What a throw away society we live in🤪🤪
Ive just updated my earlier post but you have hit the nail on the head.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
All impacts on the environment as what do they do with the batteries which are probably still A1?

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Modern cars are designed to collapse slowly on impact to reduce the G force on the occupants and cause less injury. Unfortunately this means far more damage than is apparent can happen and therefore cars that do not look too bad are in fact write offs. The insurer will have had an engineer examine the car and cost the repairs to see if it was repairable.

Reactions: Dustydog
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
All impacts on the environment as what do they do with the batteries which are probably still A1?
If the batteries are still serviceable, and as the car has been retailed the batteries cannot be classed as brand new and should not therefore be reused for new production.

They will almost certainly be reworked and used either for other repairs, or possibly repurposed for a different job, such as static energy storage systems.

If the batteries are not serviceable they should be recycled to recover the materials which can then be re-used.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts