lidyl sky dish system

Jul 19, 2005
Visit site
hiyaa all,i would love a little advice,after hurting the old back it looks like i am going to spend a lot of time sitting at the caravan and am looking at the possibility of buying on of the pack away sat systems from the above outlet,can someone advise me are they a good option,and are they easy to set up and use?i live in n,i,were tv signals tend to be not great so hope camping sat system shall give more choice????.

Jun 11, 2012
Visit site
Hi Chrisopher.

I can only presume the Lidl sytem is much the same aa the Aldi one. I have only heard good reports about them .

I have to say I bought mine from Maplins and that was only because Aldi had sold out and I was going away where the TV pictures are crap

A little tricky to set up first but believe me the second time much easier.

Before you go and buy one think about what your needs as regards TV and will this be adequate as at the moment no channel 4 or 5

but they are coming.

Maplins do have an offer on with sat in a case so shop round .

At the moment no channel 4 no Big Brother , got be a bonus .

Good Luck . Sir Roger

Nov 2, 2006
Visit site
Hi Christopher,

We live in NI to and we find at most of the parks we go to the tv never works, so we bought a sat dish and receiver on ebay it arrived yesterday so haven't had a chance to check it out but i'll let you know how we get on with it. Payed

Sep 13, 2006
Visit site
Lidl,Maplin,Aldi and some caravan accesory shops all sell basically the same satellite suitcase system, it is a "Freesat" system and not Sky, although that is not a bad thing as you get some channels that Sky will charge you for for free.

We have had one for a few years now and have no complaints although the EPG could be better.

Easier to set up if you have a sat finder with it.

Apr 26, 2005
Visit site
Hi Christopher,

We've recently purchased a Lidl camping kit and used it twice.

Tt's straightforward to use and emits a tone when signal is picked up (you won't need a satellite finder).

All I do is point it south and then traverse east.(There is also a compass that attaches to the back of the dish)

Dish is only 39cm. but it workes very well - we were in the York area when we tried it.

Good luck,

Ron

Nov 25, 2007
Visit site
Hi

We bought the Aldi kit for our recent trip to france. Hubby tried it out a couple of times at home to get the hang of it and when we were away he got it set up in no time.

Definately worth the money.

Margaret

Sep 8, 2006
Visit site
Also recently purchased the Aldi kit too. Soon set up although last couple of times has been tricky due to trees in way. Good metal dish and audibly sat-finder with earpiece works great. I would recommend a tripod though. Well worth the money.

Good Luck, Dan

Aug 14, 2007
Visit site
Hi Christopher,

We also live in N.I. and found the same as you no tv signal on sites so purchased the kit from Maplins. The first few times my husband was setting it up he found it tricky enough until he purchased a good compass from e bay. Now he can have the dish set up in 2-3 mins without a problem. He has found that if he points the dish to 25 degrees east he picks it up easily. We are delighted with our purchase it's invaluable at 7am if you have kids! Have a few practice runs at home before you go.

Good Luck

Karen

Jan 28, 2008
Visit site
hi there christopher

we have a lidl sat system, works brilliant but no channel 4 or channel 5. we also have the digital aerial with freeview box and that is highly recommended can get channel 4 and 5 on that. and if all else fails we can use the status aerial which will also pick up freeview if you have a freeview box. so we have the choice of three. hope this helps you decide.

Aug 14, 2007
Visit site
Hi Christopher,

Forgot to say earlier we use a sky box so we get channel 4 and 5 and as for a tri pod my husband rescued an old washing line we had painted it black removed the wire and turned it up side down prefect for attaching the dish to.

Karen

Jul 11, 2006
Visit site
A couple of points here.

There is 'Freesat from Sky'

There is 'Freesat' as recently started by the BBC etc

There is Free to Air and Free to View.

There is Freeview.

Freeview is UK terrestrial digital TV or DTTV for short. Need a set top box (STB) or digitally equipped telly. Will work off an aerial if in a suitable signal area but will generally not yet work on site distribution systems until they have been upgraded.

Free to air is any sat signal not encrypted. Currently for the main UK channels this is everything except five and its clones. Will be received by any suitably equipped box - including those bought in France - that will get Astra 28.2E

Freesat from Sky is Free to View - that means you use a Sky box (2nd hand will do)and a Freesat card (once off

Sep 13, 2006
Visit site
FAO anyone not recieving the CH4 channels

Rescan the satellite once you are set up properly and you will get these channels, they have been available for around a month.

CH5 channels are due to be added later this year.

Jan 28, 2008
Visit site
thanks for that info jeremy

i have been unable to get channel 4. i will try next time we are away. i have the lidl suitcase satellite system and it works a treat if there are no trees in the way ha ha.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
thanks for that info jeremy

i have been unable to get channel 4. i will try next time we are away. i have the lidl suitcase satellite system and it works a treat if there are no trees in the way ha ha.
Lidl are now selling the laser level for

Jul 4, 2008
Visit site
Hi Christopher,

We've recently purchased a Lidl camping kit and used it twice.

Tt's straightforward to use and emits a tone when signal is picked up (you won't need a satellite finder).

All I do is point it south and then traverse east.(There is also a compass that attaches to the back of the dish)

Dish is only 39cm. but it workes very well - we were in the York area when we tried it.

Good luck,

Ron
As Astra 2 is the most Easterly satellite so it is best to point East and work towards South.

Jul 25, 2008
Visit site
hi chris,

i bought a satallite dish,all fixings,cables, brackets,for my caravan,i use an old rota washing line turned upsidedown for a tripod,(wich works great).

the only thing you need is your sky box out of the house,and a tv.

when setting up the dish for the first time,the angle of the dish should be 28.2degrees,and pointed between 142-145 degrees on the compass,this will pick up all the same channels you have in your house on sky.....

my dish cost me

Nov 28, 2007
Visit site
For reference the Lidl (what would we do without them) system works well in the midlands but in the Western Isles (Mull) With great difficulty did I get a signal then the next wind lost it and I could not get it back. Obviously too far north.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi all,

Sorry to hijack Chris' thread, but...

I'm off to France for a day trip on the 4th Aug. If I buy a dish with LNB over there, what else do I need.. Or do they come in kits with everything included? And with the euro being strong, is it worth it?

My situation is that I work away from home and use the van, TV reception can be poor on the site I'm on and my freeview box just isn't worth the hassle. I have sky at home, courtesy of my stepson who pays for the sky+ in his room and the normal sky for us in the lounge. The only channels I particularly watch are 'Dave', Living (I like CSI!), BBC, ITV, plus some or any crap that catches my eye. So is the freesat sky or freesat bbc the one for me. AAAAAhhhh! Too many options!!

The sky would be good for the times when the OH joins me or we go away as we could take the card from the lounge with us.

Thanks for any help..

Oh, and does anyone know of a good retailer in Calais, just in case!!

Cheers, Gary.

Jul 7, 2008
Visit site
I bought the Maplins kit. It was real pain to set up first time, as the only preset channels were all foreign. But once I'd found the right satellite (Astra 28 East 2D) and autoscanned the channels in, its was a lot easier. I've compiled a faourites list of my 25 favourite channels and simply select one of them, press the info button; which shows me the signal strength for that channel; a few quick tweaks of the dish and bingo - 100 signal strength and 70% signal quality.

I was at a site on Anglesey at the weekend, where there were lots of fixed site tourers. Most had huge wobbly masts with TV aerials desperately trying to get a good signal. I had my dish mounted on a 1.5 metre high lighting kit tripod from screwfix, and it worked a treat. Money well spent.

John

Nov 5, 2006
Visit site
Hi chris I have a maplin system & it works quite well but no chnl 4&5 if you have sky already simply buy a dish & maybe a sat finder & take your sky box with you A lt cheaper is to buy a sky box & dish s/h & pay

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts