Lightweight Awning

May 4, 2009
Visit site
Hi....thinking of buying a lightweight awning for weekend use that's easy to put up,but also quite sturdy,been looking at the Sunncamp Ultima 260 with good and bad reviews....any recommendations?

Thanks,

Dave.

Jan 28, 2007
Visit site
we have a 260 as well, what you have to remember is that its for the weekend, its easy to put up, never going to be as rugged as a full or "proper" porch awning, but i think ive found the trick with these awnings, please make sure you use every peg oppertunity their is , its easy to bang half a dozen in to let people see how quick you put your awning up,but if you take an extra 20 mins while the kettles boilingto peg every last detail down it really does make them quite strong and well worth their while.....sound awnings we like ours cheers

Sep 7, 2009
Visit site
we have a 260 as well, what you have to remember is that its for the weekend, its easy to put up, never going to be as rugged as a full or "proper" porch awning, but i think ive found the trick with these awnings, please make sure you use every peg oppertunity their is , its easy to bang half a dozen in to let people see how quick you put your awning up,but if you take an extra 20 mins while the kettles boilingto peg every last detail down it really does make them quite strong and well worth their while.....sound awnings we like ours cheers
I have had a 260 for 3 years, we use it for a week or so in May on the North coast of Cornwall. it has stood up well to some fairly extreme weather conditions albeit with some improvised storm poles made from salvaged poles from a wrecked gazebo. The worst problem has been vibration of the awning edges adjacent to the caravan. My MK3 solution to this was some pipe insulation from Jewsons slipped over the awning edge and held in place with a little gaffer tape, problem solved and no more vibration. for what they cost I think they are excellent.

Aug 23, 2009
Visit site
Much easier to dry if it rains and to transport wet, we're actually selling our proper awning as find the 390 fine in all weather, and it's taken a battering!!

Dec 23, 2006
Visit site
Martin24,

You say you find this lightweight awning fine in all weather.

Can you please tell me how it performs in medium or heavy snow?

The reason i ask is because i saw two lightweigjht awnings on a site cave in with mediun amount of snow. However i cannot remember the make of them.

For us to use one it would have to support quite a bit of snow in freezing conditions.

At present i use an Isabella Minor, with no problems except it is heavy,especially for me with my spinal problem.

Also due to the materials used in these lightweight awnings, do you get any condensation in really cold damp weather?

Hamer

Feb 11, 2007
Visit site
Hi

I have the Royal version of this awning and it is great for a weekend. However the roof has stretched slightly and creates a slight dip where water can pool, this of course makes the situation worse as this causes further stretching of the fabric. My solution was to slip a rolled up newspaper between the nylon canopy and the top transverse pole. I can also confirm that you will wake up in the morning with the roof dripping if it is cold outside.

Sandy

Aug 23, 2009
Visit site
Martin24,

You say you find this lightweight awning fine in all weather.

Can you please tell me how it performs in medium or heavy snow?

The reason i ask is because i saw two lightweigjht awnings on a site cave in with mediun amount of snow. However i cannot remember the make of them.

For us to use one it would have to support quite a bit of snow in freezing conditions.

At present i use an Isabella Minor, with no problems except it is heavy,especially for me with my spinal problem.

Also due to the materials used in these lightweight awnings, do you get any condensation in really cold damp weather?

Hamer
must admit not used in snow and a "proper" porch would be much better in those conditions, would not think the lightweights would take the weight very well at all. Do get some condensation but nothing too bad or that's any worse than you get on any other windows, especially without back poles as you do get a bit of air through which helps

Aug 23, 2009
Visit site
Can anyone confirm if the Sunncamp Ultima 360 will fit the Bailey Pageant 6 berth van ? New to caravanning

Thanks
you just need to measure the length of where you want to place it, clear of lockers and windows etc on my 6 berth Coachman (3.9 mtres for the 390, 2.6mtrs for the 260)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts