Long Trips

Dec 7, 2006
Visit site
Hi, Having just retired we've been planning some lengthy trips to the continent. We thought 7 or 8 weeks now (leaving late April). About the same late summer/autumn and then again in the new year. However, this isn't as easy as it sounds. Travel Insurance has to be arranged at £300, still limited to multiple trips of no more than 66 days at a time. Our pet insurance has to be changed as is normally limited to 90 days in any one year. Now I have to consider the house insurance. The policy states that unoccupied premises are not covered for more than 2 weeks. I have to ring them tomorrow to find out exactly what I need to do to get cover. Has anyone else had to overcome these little difficulties?

Mar 14, 2005
jondogoescaravanning.com
The first year we went to the Continent was in 1981 and we've been every year since, gradually staying longer and longer. Now that I'm on my own I go at the end of October and stay until the beginning of March. I agree, insurance is a problem. I have the house insured with the Caravan Club and my absence from the premises is covered provided someone visits each week - which my daughter does, and also that I have water turned off and low heating turned on during cold weather - catered for with a frost stat. Fully comprehensive car insurance is quite difficult to find since many insurers will tell you that foreign travel is covered, whereas when it's looked into all they provide is the minimum cover. I've found that LV give me a policy for driving abroad which is fully comprehensive for very little extra money. For a lot of years I took out the Caravan Clubs Red Pennant annual policy which I extended for 66 days. That was good value since we used it during the summer, again in November/December, then in the following January/February. Now I take the Long Stay policy for 122 days which manages to cover my winter stay in Spain. Were I under the age of 80, I could take the 180 day policy.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
House insurance is the biggest problem. Both the major caravan clubs have long term policies. At least one does a multi trip travel policy, but also single trips up to 122 days or 180 days.
Depending on where you live and hence which ferry route you use there are discounts to be had. For those of us living West and using Brittany Ferries the Travel club gets near to break even in first. Year for two round trips and into savings in subsequent years and/or more than two trips a year.

Pet insurance I cannot help you with but I am sure others will. Don't forget to factor in the savings you will make on fuel at home particularly in winter and with the lower food prices in places like Spain, particularly with the current exchange rates.

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
Regarding house insurance, I'm fortunate in that my son comes to stay in the house for two weekends per month whilst we're away.
Health insurance is a bit of a bind, as we're usually out for at least six weeks, so we pay the extra £65 premium, as ours normally only covers for 31 days. We only discovered this clause after accidently travelling uninsured for 12 years!!!!!!!
Recovery insurance: I use ADAC, which gives me unlimited cover anywhere in the world.
Car insurance is usually 90 days, extended if required.
Dogs I can't help you with; I take ours, but they're too old to insure anyway!

May 15, 2010
Visit site
Good for you to be considering this move. Grab every opportunity for adventure because you never know what's round the corner!
But why worry so much about insurances? Within EU, reciprocal health cover is available for emergency treatment and my experience is that it's often better than in UK. Obviously you need legally required motor cover, but otherwise why worry too much about house/pet/etc cover? When did you last really need it?
Remember that Insurers make a profit, so, logically they pay out less than you pay in.
I know that many people feel uncomfortable without being surrounded by insurance policies but perhaps it's about time that we threw a bit of caution to the wind and started to live the adventure that life presents to us.
What a shame that our adventurous nature, that so much helped to shape our Nation, has become so stifled.

Mar 14, 2005
jondogoescaravanning.com
oldagetraveller1 said:
But why worry so much about insurances? Within EU, reciprocal health cover is available for emergency treatment and my experience is that it's often better than in UK. quote]

]Follow this advice at your peril. In 2011, when we had been in Spain for two months, my wife became ill with a severe back pain. After two nights when neither of us had got much sleep, I took her to Marbella General Hospital for attention. Our EU cards were quickly processed and we were directed into a waiting room. To my dismay there were over a 100 people waiting in a huge hall. We took seats and began our wait. After about an hour I went to ask a nurse when we might be seen. I was told that my wife would be assessed as soon as possible and then treated according to the opinion of the triage nurse.. I didn't imagine that an elderly lady with backache would feature very high on their scale of urgency – so we decided to leave. Later in the day my daughter trying to help from the UK telephoned to say she had found an English doctor working in Marbella and that she had asked him to call on my wife. His opinion when he came was that she be admitted to hospital and asked me if I had health insurance. I told him I had CC Red Pennant. He called an ambulance and my wife was taken to a private hospital in Marbella. Of course the insurance company needed to check that the illness wasn't connected to a pre-existing ailment which they had declined to cover, but when they were satisfied, they said that they would fund the stay in her private room. During the twelve days, she was on a constant I.V drip; had three X-rays and two MRI scans, all of which ran up a huge bill. Unfortunately my wife developed pneumonia from which she didn't recover. My immediate problem was how to get my wife's body home and how to get home myself. But help was at hand. The insurance company arranged the embalming which was necessary before her body could leave the Country; they obtained translations of the death certificate and registered the death at the British Consulate; they dealt with the Spanish and English Customs at the airports and they arranged for the transport of the essential lead-lined coffin. Then they asked me how I intended to get home. They suggested I didn't drive, so they booked me a flight and sent out a driver to collect my vehicle which turned up four days later, just a day before my dear wife arrived at Gatwick Airport. Had it not been for my £250 travel policy, I would have been facing financial ruin. Would I travel without adequate insurance? No way!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts