Looking for a gas engineer who can issue a gas safety certificate in Blaby, south leicestershire

Aug 16, 2022
Visit site
We need an LPG gas engineer to issue a gas safety certificate to enable us to hire out our caravan. Been unsuccessful upto now, as they all say they can't sign off caravans.
If anyone knows someone who can do this, would really appreciate their contact details. Thanks

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We need an LPG gas engineer to issue a gas safety certificate to enable us to hire out our caravan. Been unsuccessful upto now, as they all say they can't sign off caravans.
If anyone knows someone who can do this, would really appreciate their contact details. Thanks
You need a caravan LPG certified gas engineer to sign off LPG systems in caravans. Your best bet is to look at the AWS Approved Workshop Scheme members

Who have the correct approvals to work on LPG systems in caravans.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
You need a caravan LPG certified gas engineer to sign off LPG systems in caravans. Your best bet is to look at the AWS Approved Workshop Scheme members

Who have the correct approvals to work on LPG systems in caravans.
Maybe the technician can do it for leisure purposes, but not commercial which is why they don't want to touch it? Not sure if there is a difference?

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Maybe the technician can do it for leisure purposes, but not commercial which is why they don't want to touch it? Not sure if there is a difference?
There are caravans and motor homes hired out by companies so their technicians have to be certified for working on LPG in those vehicles. They are commercial leisure vehicles.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Not certain that gas safety certificates are issued for a caravan. We get an annual one for our daughters house but that’s a conventional domestic system.

For a caravan it’s a bit different. You will have the gas supply system, lounge heater, water heater, cooker, and fridge all connected and working off of the supply system. Normal servicing of a caravan by AWS technicians doesn’t include servicing of the connected items. These are separate chargeable actions, and not many caravan owners have those items serviced in accordance with the respective makers recommendations. They tend to wait until they give a problem.

So what is it you are trying to achieve in order to hire out a caravan and ensure that your obligations in law are fulfilled? There are agencies that hire out private owners motorhomes perhaps such companies exist for caravans. Of course they would take a commission but they also take the legal responsibility for safety too. But beware of middleman agencies who just act as booking portal and still take 10%

Last edited:
Reactions: Buckman
Aug 16, 2022
Visit site
Not certain that gas safety certificates are issued for a caravan. We get an annual one for our daughters house but that’s a conventional domestic system.

For a caravan it’s a bit different. You will have the gas supply system, lounge heater, water heater, cooker, and fridge all connected and working off of the supply system. Normal servicing of a caravan by AWS technicians doesn’t include servicing of the connected items. These are separate chargeable actions, and not many caravan owners have those items serviced in accordance with the respective makers recommendations. They tend to wait until they give a problem.

So what is it you are trying to achieve in order to hire out a caravan and ensure that your obligations in law are fulfilled? There are agencies that hire out private owners motorhomes perhaps such companies exist for caravans. Of course they would take a commission but they also take the legal responsibility for safety too. But beware of middleman agencies who just act as booking portal and still take 10%
Thank you. It is on Camplify, but it's our responsibility to get the gas safety certificate, similar to the responsibility of a Landlord, and we're required by law to have this certificate.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Thank you. It is on Camplify, but it's our responsibility to get the gas safety certificate, similar to the responsibility of a Landlord, and we're required by law to have this certificate.
Okay but does that require all the gas appliances to be serviced as well as the systems supply? If so its not a problem as AWS will service appliances. But I see your dilemma is to find one who is willing to issue a certificate. is there not an owners forum on Camplify where someone in your region has details of technicians who have issued such certificates?

Jan 19, 2002
Visit site
If you use the AWS link there is an option to search Gas Safe Registered engineers but I think the nearest for you are Nottingham (mobile) or Melton Mowbray (fixed) so not especially handy!
Copied from the site regarding registration:
* Note: registration of this type is not a requirement for general servicing of caravans and motorhomes that are owned and used on a private domestic basis unless hired out for reward.
Or you could ring a couple of local ones in case they have qualified and they have not updated the website has yet.

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I think that certificate needs to be renewed annually if similar to LLs legal obligation.
Also LL must have the EIC renewed every five years. There were noises about caravans requiring a EIC but thankfully they were not progressed. But whether a hire leisure vehicle requires such I do not know.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The obvious thing to do with such important questions is to ask the businesses you find in the AWS scheme if they are able to offer the necessary certification? It should not obligate you to ask, and you are getting the information from a source you can chase if its wrong.

But has already been pointed out there are plenty of mobile companies that do service and certify mobile homes and other holiday accommodation.

I believe the Campify organisation will probably have some advice for you if you ask.

Reactions: Dustydog
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
According to HMG caravans used for hire are subject to strict regulations. The complexity arises that depending on the type of hire use and location some regs fall under the HSE whilst others fall within the Local Authority .

I have also seen the NCC have a number of advisories on this subject too.
I will be corrected but it seems to me it is not quite as simple as a job for an AWS. The responsible person issuing the certificate appears to be someone who must be HSE or LA approved.
Prof you are our gas expert. It seems to me certification of gas for commercial gain as opposed to private use is a bit more complicated than it appears?
Perhaps outside our usual knowledge base🤔

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The OP's best course of action is still to contact the Local AWS engineers and ask if they can do it or if they can suggest suitable certifiers.

Jun 6, 2006
Visit site
The best option is to go on the gas safe website, (not looked for a while) you used to be able to put criteria in, as in mobile, lpg, leisure etc and your area, this used to bring up a list in your area. As I said not looks for a long time

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts