Losing weight!

Page 3 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
The O.P. wasn't about downplating anyway, he was worried about a weight increase due to the use of a memory foam mattress.

Slight correction. LOL! Almost right. :ROFLMAO:

We already have a memory foam mattress which is uncomfortable and are looking at a pocket sprung mattress which is firmer however not cheap.
The memory foam tends to sag towards the edges and you feel as if you are going to roll out of bed. It was okay for the first 18 months, but now it sags in the middle by your hip plus the sides and result is terrible backache. OH disagrees that a bottle of Glenfiddich will sort out my woes. LOL! :D
Just to reiterate as said in my OP difference in weight is 20kg which will take us conservatively 8kg over our MTPLM if MIRO is spot on. Pity payload is so small on the majority of UK caravans. My question about part of load being transfrred to car was answered almost straight away and put to rest.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Before you buy a poket sprung mattress, we had a Blue Cool memory mattress made by custom Beds, 9 inch thick, to fit our side bed in our coachman at about £600.
As yours was, fine for a couple of years, but the edges started to sag, and as it was a zip together in the middle, you would have a void. Mrs H had serious back peoblems with it in rhe end, And an increase of about 10 kg over the original mattress.
We put the original mattress back in and We bought a down pocket Topper from Dunelms, for abot £30 and that has been really good. No back problems and probably only weighs about 2.5 kg.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Before you buy a poket sprung mattress, we had a Blue Cool memory mattress made by custom Beds, 9 inch thick, to fit our side bed in our coachman at about £600.
As yours was, fine for a couple of years, but the edges started to sag, and as it was a zip together in the middle, you would have a void. Mrs H had serious back peoblems with it in rhe end, And an increase of about 10 kg over the original mattress.
We put the original mattress back in and We bought a down pocket Topper from Dunelms, for abot £30 and that has been really good. No back problems and probably only weighs about 2.5 kg.
Strangely it is the Cool Blue foam memory that is giving us hassles and they are not interested. :mad: The original mattress had been exchanged with weeks of buying the caravan and replacement put in the garage, but in the meantime we bought the Cool Blue.

Recently we did put the original mattress back in which was brand new and never used, but had hassles within weeks. We tried a Jonic topper that we had from a previous caravan and was almost brand new, but it follows the contours of the original mattress and you still feel as if you are rolling off.

We had a pocket sprung mattress in our Lunar 640 and never had issues with it although we lived in the caravan permanently for 2 1/2 years! :D

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
I certainly would not even consider FB marketplace as do not trust it. Don't like selling on eBay using classifieds, but a better option.
it might be but I sold three porch awning in three days got money now in for the new one when it comes from the camping shop :rolleyes:

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
As we mainly use serviced pitches we are removing one of the aquarolls from the caravan saving us 4.8kg. Putting the 5 - 6 DVDs into a packet and storing them in spare wheel recess in car saves another 2.5kg. This should bring us back within the MTPLM based on payload plus MIRO. However there are couple of other small things that can be removed i.e. all the little .5 and 1kgs items all add up and some of them are unnecessary and are "in case" items. :D

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Only take the minimum of food and drink for the journey or until you can shop locally.

Consider using a kindle instead of taking books.

Leave your slippers at home. take less make up or toiletries.

Its the little things that will make the difference.

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
But all of this few kgs argument is based as you said in the OP "assuming that the MIRO is correct"
In my direct experience a massive assumption, ours on delivery was 62 kgs over the stated MIRO.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Only take the minimum of food and drink for the journey or until you can shop locally.

Thanks for heads up. We have never ever carried food, drink, clothes or shoes in any of our caravans. Always used a kindle which is carried in vehicle anyway. Slippers weigh less than .5kg and remain in caravan as required. Toileteries are a bare minimum however we do keep cleaning fluids in caravan i.e. toilet and washroom cleaners. Neither of us use makeup except roll on deodorant. LOL! :D

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site

Hi Prof out of that list wife cannot do with out are her books but they go in the car

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Not sure I would worry about the slippers as they will make no noticeable difference. My feeling is to ask the maker if you can upgrade the MTPLM, on ours you can clearly see the chassis limit which is 30 kg more than the MTPLM. There is a school of thought on here that the chassis limit is the maximum weight as shown as it is normally available without any change as the upgraded MTPLM, so this is the legal limit

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
But all of this few kgs argument is based as you said in the OP "assuming that the MIRO is correct"
In my direct experience a massive assumption, ours on delivery was 62 kgs over the stated MIRO.
This MIRO is almost a mythical figure. My van MIRO is 1115kg, If the van has a tolerance of + or - 3% (if they still quote that) and If it's plus 3 % my van already weighs 33kg over MIRO so if the weigh bridge is plus 3% that would read 66kg over.
I basically do what the OP says and take the MIRO as stated, then weigh and spread the load between car and van, the biggest items in the car.
Van has 230kg personal effects, car has 500kg load (350kg) when me and the boss are seated. Plus or minus 3%

Reactions: Hutch
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
........the OP has told us in the past that he has fitted an air conditioning unit, an automatic leveling system and a mover to his caravan.

Does this explain why he struggles with his legal remaining pay load ?
Yes it does however no longer an issue as hopefully we have managed to resolve the weight issue and given us a couple of kgs to be on the safe side.

Reactions: DaveA1
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Not sure I would worry about the slippers as they will make no noticeable difference. My feeling is to ask the maker if you can upgrade the MTPLM, on ours you can clearly see the chassis limit which is 30 kg more than the MTPLM. There is a school of thought on here that the chassis limit is the maximum weight as shown as it is normally available without any change as the upgraded MTPLM, so this is the legal limit
Slippers at 0.5kg a pair - but multiply that by the number of people using the caravan and suddenly its 3kg!. It the addition of all these small amounts that can ultimately make a significant difference.

Regarding uprating of MTPLM's. If the axle limit on an assembled trailer is greater than the manufactures stated MTPLM for the whole trailer, you cannot assume the MTPLM can be upgraded. The MTPLM limit may be based on the structural strength of other element of the trailer, not just the axle strength.

Mar 29, 2021
Visit site
Ah.
Get this for technology, says the man thats spent 10 minutes arguing with online banking about an hour ago😒🤪
Anyway we cast our mobiles to the telly 😀

Mar 29, 2021
Visit site
Slippers at 0.5kg a pair - but multiply that by the number of people using the caravan and suddenly its 3kg!. It the addition of all these small amounts that can ultimately make a significant difference.

Regarding uprating of MTPLM's. If the axle limit on an assembled trailer is greater than the manufactures stated MTPLM for the whole trailer, you cannot assume the MTPLM can be upgraded. The MTPLM limit may be based on the structural strength of other element of the trailer, not just the axle strength.
Some manufacturers after placing the individual limit to that particular caravan, bung lower load rated tyres on, presumably to save a bob or two!
Up-plate, check the tyres dont need replacing.
Oh hang on, have I just broken my self imposed silence.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts