Loss of caravan wheels!

Page 3 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I was taught to start with the nuts all on finger tight and then tighten opposite ones. With five nuts now I do wonder if many just go round clockwise as opposites are no longer possible.
I still do opposites out of habit as remembered when trying out my new torque wrench very recently. :D

Jul 15, 2008
Visit site
In my situation, on a straight French D road at about 50mph. My first indication of a detachment was seeing the angle of the van change in the mirror. It was still under control and towed nicely onto the verge.

John

Out of Interest......

How long before the detachment had you checked the wheel nuts?
Had the wheel recently been removed and if so how many miles had the caravan travelled since then?

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
The actual sequence of torqueing up of the bolts of the wheel to the hub, could also be part of the problem.
Some one fitting the hub and just doing up the bolts tight staight away, without tightening in a sequence of either opossite bolts or triangular sequence to 1/2 TORQUE and then again to full torque.
If that were the real and only cause, then it would just as much be an issue with every type of vehicle or are the guys who assemble and service caravans inherently less diligent than those who work on cars?

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Out of Interest......

How long before the detachment had you checked the wheel nuts?
Had the wheel recently been removed and if so how many miles had the caravan travelled since then?

The van was recently serviced and wheel torque was checked before leaving UK 2 days before.

John

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
I was taught to start with the nuts all on finger tight and then tighten opposite ones. With five nuts now I do wonder if many just go round clockwise as opposites are no longer possible.
Thats why on 5 bolts you would, do triangular, ie, miss out evey next bolt.

Reactions: Dustydog

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts