LPG

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Mar 28, 2005
Visit site
In some of the comments above some of you have bought LPG abroad. I have read somewhere that there is not a common standard across Europe of filler and therefore it is necessary to have adaptors for the filler nossel for different countries. Has anyone experienced this problem and how has it been resolved? Also has anyone obtained a grant to convert a vehicle?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Morning James - No to getting the Powershift grant (my car was more than 3 years old when I had it converted) but you can get a lot of info on it on the LPGA website and also from a car dealership that offers dual fuel cars. As I said earlier Subaru is especially helpful here I understand but I think Vauxhaul is good on LPG as well.

As regards the filling abroad I understood that the UK is now in line with the rest of the EU in that I had to get a new adaptor several years ago. The original UK spec one was a screw type and now it is a bayonet type.

I have filled up in Spain and France without any problem at all, tho' at one filling station in Spain we had a slight problem in that my tank was circa 1/4 full (one green light showing)and the last filling was done in the UK. The filling pump kept saying we were full.

This hapens because the pressure used to fill the tank in Spain is lower and cannot overcome the pressure in your tank. Spain does seem to run a lower pressure. You can either manualy vent of some gas which was done to our vehicle by the garage owner on the first occaision - MOST DEFINATELY NOT RECOMENDED as he did this by poking a screwdriver in the filler to let some gas out!!

Firstly this is wasteful and secondly bl**dy dangerous.

We overcome the problem now by simply running the vehicle on LPG until it is gasping on its last breath. This means that the tank pressure is reduced as much as possible and a fill up via a lower pressure filling pump is possible.

Spain is difficult for LPG as it is not taxed at all and is supossed to be used by Municipal vehicles only. However you can get a map of Spanish LPG stations off the web and all will let you fill up.

Hope this helps

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello CliveV

I'm not familiar with LPG installations in cars for motive power, but I am slightly surprised that you reckon Spain uses a lower pressure system.

The pressure in the tank is derived from the evapouration of the liquified gas back into is gasseous state, and that is directly dependant on temperature.

I do wonder if Spain is using a Butane derived fuel, where as the UK and I assume most of nortehrn Europe will use Propane.

Propane has a much higher vapour pressure than Butane, and that would certainly be evident by the pressure in the tank.

Can you throw any light on this?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Havn't got a clue. All I know is that in the UK my 60litre LPG tank can be filled up to about 55 litres (- their is always the gas "layer" that cannot be compressed) whereas in Spain the filler pump stopped at an indicated 49 to 52litres depending upon filling station.

Back in the UK and 55litres again was possible. I spoke to the firm that installed my LPG conversion and they said it was due to differing pump pressure.

Other people have reported the same. Interestingly I do not have the same problem in France. We regularly go Poole Cherbourg on booze cruises and fill up when we are there.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Havn't got a clue. All I know is that in the UK my 60litre LPG tank can be filled up to about 55 litres (- their is always the gas "layer" that cannot be compressed) whereas in Spain the filler pump stopped at an indicated 49 to 52litres depending upon filling station.

Back in the UK and 55litres again was possible. I spoke to the firm that installed my LPG conversion and they said it was due to differing pump pressure.

Other people have reported the same. Interestingly I do not have the same problem in France. We regularly go Poole Cherbourg on booze cruises and fill up when we are there.
OK, looks like I'll have to dig further. I'll post to let you all know when I have a reasonable answer.

May 4, 2005
Visit site
Kanga, Ive read your sexist,ageist ,sizeist,raceist,animalist,spellingist,4x4ist,and canabalist remarks on this forum before, but this time you have gone to far.....welcome back ,your holiday has certainly mellowed you.....Brian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Trouble is Brian - he delights in it!!

This type of bully only gets the satisfaction and attention they grave when they can pick on a few individuals and shout them down.

You are right this is well over the top - but it does prove the point made by Chris elswhere that they get more desperate the more they themselves are challenged. To use Chris's words - "they don't like it up-em".

Hence the almost DESPERATE need to say something outrageous or use rude words. You only have to listen to teenagers to see the problem. Most teenagers grow out of it - sadly this does not happen in all cases

Its both sad and laughable.

Apr 13, 2005
Visit site

This type of bully only gets the satisfaction and attention they grave when they can pick on a few individuals and shout them down.

You are right this is well over the top - but it does prove the point made by Chris elswhere that they get more desperate the more they themselves are challenged. To use Chris's words - "they don't like it up-em".

Hence the almost DESPERATE need to say something outrageous or use rude words. You only have to listen to teenagers to see the problem. Most teenagers grow out of it - sadly this does not happen in all cases

Your analogy about bullies is excellent.

However, it is commonly agreed that the best response to bullies is to ignore them. If you rise to the bait, it encourages them to continue.

You always rise to the bait Clive!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site

I know - Definately a flaw in my character. I think it stems from my being Milk Monitor at school

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts