Lunar Clubman Si

May 20, 2007
Visit site
Hi all

Thinking of changing Bailey champagne (06 model) and really fancy the look layout of the Lunar.

Anyone got one? what are your thoughts, comments etc, honest opinions good and bad please.

Thanks in advance,

Trev.

jca

Jun 6, 2009
Visit site
Hi Trev

We just got one, and very impressed. Seems to have everything you could want, from security to luxury. Bed very comfortable and easy to make!! Side wardrobes roomier than they look. Shower great/ domestic style loo also great. Would possible fit a splashback to washbasin and side of cooker - but that just personal choice.

Lounge seating very comfy, overall ample storage for us - and my wife carries everything!! (She loves the lighted cocktail cabinet!!) Wet locker useful, but not as much room as in normal external locker. Build quality excellent, and drives well. Kitchen not only looks good but very practical - worktop a little high but not uncomfortable. Wheeled loo cassette is an improvement. All round we are thrilled, it is just what we wanted from our "forever 'van". We swapped from a Compass Corona 534 dealer special. Oh did you know it has a "clever" fridge - if power fails and fridge starts to warm, it automatically switches to gas - usefull if it happens whilst away from the 'van for the day. We found the tracker not pre-connected, but Phantom came out to us the next day and fixed it - excellent service. First year's subscription for the tracker is free.

We have only been away in it once - off again next week. So these are our very first impressions. We will let you know if we find any down-sides, but can't think of any yet.

John & Carol

Jul 28, 2008
Visit site
I would be very wary of any of Lunar's products to be honest. We took delivery of a 2009 Lexon SE two weeks ago, after I initially rejected it for numerous build quality faults. We haven't used the thing yet, but already things are going wrong. For instance, the edging on both the front table and kitchen units is peeling off. One of the pelmets is coming adrift. We have previously owned Swift products, and whilst being far from perfect, at least they've lasted well for the five years or so that we kept them (and looked after them!). This thing will be lucky to last a year. We chose the Lunar over the Swift and Bailey Senator rivals on the grounds that the Swift was too heavy for our tow car at the time, and the Bailey (to us) didn't look quite right (not wishing to offend Bailey owners!). The Lunar initially ticked the boxes, and promises were made by Lunar themselves at the NEC which we were assured would make the production models, but haven't. If this is the best that Lunar can do, then the sooner they're history the better. I will certainly not be looking at another. Whilst it will cost me a lot of money, (our intention was to keep the 'van for five years) I am looking to swap as soon as possible.

Good luck!

Apr 25, 2008
Visit site
have had two Lunars a Lexon EW T/A new got rid after 3 months in 2003 and a Delta 640 had that 6 months and got rid in 2007,

I cannot recommend Lunar to anyone.

Apr 25, 2008
Visit site
The lexon ew was bought prior to the selling of lunar to the foriegn company who owned Chateux and I believe a Dutch company which build KIP caravans.We all thought that build quality would improve in my case it didnt as the 2006 delta 640 which was not as bad as the Lexon ew was still a load of rubbish for a

May 20, 2007
Visit site
Thanks for all your comments.

It would appear that some love other's loathe.

I have had and am still having numerous problems with the Bailey that we bought brand new in 2006, and because of the ongoing probs have lost faith in Bailey Vans, the Lunar looked good but with others having so many different probs with them they now seem out of the frame as do Swift because of weight issues, so the search continues..................

Thanks all,

Trev

Dec 23, 2006
Visit site
Missedagain1,

Most posts from people on this forum are from members who have a problem and wish to find a solution to their problem.

All makes of caravans are mentioned on the forum as having problems. What you have to remember is that these are a very small number of caravanners.

The majority of caravanners are highly satisfied with their caravans.You will find people make generalised comments. If they have had problems with a particular make of caravan, other people with the same make of caravan who have had problems jump on the band wagon and claim that make are rubbish.

As you have seen on this thread some have stated how pleased they are with lunars.

If you like a particular make and model of caravan and can go to a recommended dealer go ahead.When you are on sites you will hear far more good reports than bad irrespective of the make and model of caravan.

Hamer

Jul 5, 2009
Visit site
Well said Hamer

People generally see a bad comment and then everyone who's ever had a problem with them and has since bought a different make joins in and try's to put the manufacturer down. Most caravans are assembled with pretty standard parts, and in the same way, i.e Built by workers who get paid by the amount they push through the workshop. There are going to be lemons that go out the factory with every manufacturer. Some may be better than others, but I have spoke to many people with all different makes and models, all reporting faults with them. Best bet is to buy from a good dealer with a decent warranty and you don't have to worry so much. Nothing is perfect these days!

Mar 11, 2004
Visit site
All caravans are shockling poorly made. Their construction techniques have not changed since the 1940's! Even the materials are incredibly old fashioned. What makes matters worse is that caravans are never really designed to be taken apart in any shape or form once they are produced. They are produced by unskilled/semi skilled people who really don't pay much attention to detail/quality either. I had a new side put on mine due to a very small crease in the rear section. Side panels have to be stuck back on over the existing panel and the creases I now have along it just make the van look terrible.

I for one have had a huge number of problems with my '05 Clubman for which most of them are niggles but due to the sheer number of niggles I would actually class them to be more significant issues. One problem I had that was major was water ingress when the van is just over 3 years old. This is totally unacceptable and where was I left with the warrenty? nowehere! With most manufacturers you get a pathetic 3 year warrenty which is nowhere near sufficient.....do you get a 3 year anti rust warrenty with a car??????

So yet again, I, the customer has had to foot the bill for the repair, depreciation and disappointment whilst the manufacturers blisfully carry on making their profit and concentrating what colour decor to change for next years model.

Parts availability is just a complete joke too with vitually no parts available in stock and you have to wait anything up to 6 months for them to be produced in batches!

I have had 2 caravans now over 10 years and before that my parents who I used to holiday with had caravans all their lives and the whole industry is stuck in a time warp. You get the same problems with all vans as someone else said, they all tend to share the same parts. We have had Elddis, Compass, Lunar.

I think in this instance though Lunars from 2004 onwards have a bad repuation. In the 10 years I have had a Lunar I met many other Lunar owners on my travels and I have been shocked at how dissatisfied they too are with their vans. Many also complaining of water ingress and a number with lockers coming away from the roof/walls etc.

Caravans are getting rediculously heavy too and all that weight sitting over the outer edge of the chassis means the floor keeps flexing and causing things like the axle bolts that bolt into the floor poping out. I can't see the caravan industry surviving much longer unless they desperatly change their attitudes and construction techniques and design.

What we need in the industry is for someone to revolutionise the way caravans are designed, put together and ability to repair if we able to have a sustainable past time/hobby.

Building caravans which don't leak when they are new and ones which don't have bits falling off on the A1 each time its taken out would be a start at least.

Come on guys....sort it out will you before its too late!

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Toby

There are alternatives but they sem to cost a hell of a lot more. Probably because they are genuine Coach builts. But is their design that much different, eg Airstreams?

If they got too well engineered I bet the price would rocket too.

Strange that the manufacturers and the PC Mag never answer these types of question. Ah well mustn't upset the advertisers must we.

Cheers

Dustydog

May 2, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for all your comments.

It would appear that some love other's loathe.

I have had and am still having numerous problems with the Bailey that we bought brand new in 2006, and because of the ongoing probs have lost faith in Bailey Vans, the Lunar looked good but with others having so many different probs with them they now seem out of the frame as do Swift because of weight issues, so the search continues..................

Thanks all,

Trev
Trust me.. Please, I took deliver of a Lunar Delta TL 19k worth... and 17 shoddy faults from new.... Stay clear

May 2, 2009
Visit site
Just do not buy a Lunar.......... I have had read so many bad things in this forum about Lunar, and I am normally warey of forums, but I have had identical experiences..... NO TO LUNAR

Oct 21, 2008
Visit site
We bought a new Lunar Quasar last year and I have to say that compared to my previous Bailey, the snagging list with the Lunar was extensive and it even had a damp problem after only six months light use - the dealers service department was also pretty poor and several faults never got sorted out despite at least two return visits - since changed again for another Bailey and no defects with this one - but I suppose like anything, there are lemons produced by every manufacturer - its a pity they dont get better inspections both at the factory and at the dealers PDI

Jul 28, 2008
Visit site
My wife and I have just returned from our first weekend away with our "new" caravan, a 2009 Lunar Lexon SE. We went to collect the van on 6th June, but rejected it for numerous defects (including a pathetically thrown together wood/MDF bedframe, instead of the aluminium one they boast about!). It apparently went back to the factory to have the correct bed frame fitted, and to have the other defect rectified.

Our weekend away has been a disaster and a total diappointment. The following are a list of the faults that have developed so far!

1. The "Lunar" badge on the front locker is 9mm higher on the left than the right.

2. Although the car's tow ball was clean when we set off, the hitch creaked and groaned right from the start, and at end of the journey the tow ball was covered in black stuff?

3. Despite being an Al-Ko hitch lock (that fitted perfectly on our previous van with the same hitch), it's a real struggle to get it to fit on this one.

4. Neither drain covers remain shut.

5. The radio keeps coming out of its housing after every journey.

6. The edging to both parts of the front table and the kitchen worktop are peeling off.

7. The fixed bed matress feels like it's already spent ten years in a Travel Lodge as it's lumpy and we both felt like we were rolling into the middle of the bed.

8. Despite being level on site, there were some awful wooden creaks and cracks when we walked anywhere to the rear of the axle.

9. The shower tray doesn't drain because the drain pipe goes uphill from under the shower tray to the waste outlet on the offside of the van.

10. After the bed base had been replaced, there was minor damage caused to the bed head.

11. All of the curtain tie backs are loose, whereas in iour previous van they were secured and held the curtains in place. The curtains at the side of the bed were a damned nuisance.

12. The corner steadies are far too short. Unless the ground is perfectly level, blocks are needed.

13. Even one of the keys fell apart!

14. Lunar suggest that the uphostery is sprung. Not with springs it isn't. Just cheap nasty foam.

15. There's no data in the handbook for the Lexon SE.

16. Is Lunar speak "Lightweight" everyone else's speak for "flimsy"? If you open two of the overhead lockers, you should see how much the frame flexes.

What a pile of rubbish!

I am seriously considering cancelling our three week trip to France next month because I can't stand being in the thing.

Has anyone else had such problems?

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site
As someone has already mentioned you are by the very nature of the forum going to hear a lot of negatives - after all in relation to the number of vans on the roads this is an incredibly small cross section.

We took delivery of a new Lunar in March - have been away three times so far and the only fault that I can lay at the door of Lunar is that the nose gas locker hinge failed (came away from the actual panel - only glued on), however Lunar delivered a complete new locker door to my home within five days and allowed me to fit it myself (6 x nuts - 20mins tops) rather than drag the van back to the dealer!

I admit there are a few other minor issues - but these are nothing to do with the build quality but ancillary equipment suppliers (Thetford loo & the Microwave unit), and could happen no matter what make of van you buy!

We actually bought the Lunar because of the quality of finish (compared with one or two other makes) and I wouldn't hesitate to buy another - "you pays your money, yous takes your choice" just like a car.

Cheers

Jon

May 20, 2007
Visit site
Thanks all for your messages.

Some comments have been really what I expected, only the worst being mentioned, thats why I asked for comments, good and bad, to try to get a good cross section of reaction.

I have had some really bad experiences with my bailey and would never buy another, if people are happy with them they will let most people know of their pleasure with owning a particular van just as someone who is unhappy will let you know how they feel.

If someone asked me I would give an accurate account of my vans faults, but back that up with facts that I do like about the van, to try to give a balanced opinion that may help someone else.

Thanks to all again,

Trev.

Mar 30, 2007
Visit site
We took delivery of our Lunar Quasar 626 in Feb. The van is great and a perfect layout for us. We have had a couple of minor issues which I contacted Lunar about. They stated that they would resolve the issues and they did exactly that. Yes it took a little while, but they did as they said and resolved them all. I cannnot ask for anything else and we are very very pleased with the van. I would recomend Lunar not only for the product but for their service. Go to the NEC show and speak to them in person.

Jul 28, 2008
Visit site
JohnnyV

I paid my money (the Lunar being the most expensive of the trio that we were looking at) and I expected to get what I was paying for. Clearly that is not the case.

I agree that you do tend to get mainly negative feedback on forums, but I for one will also give praise where it's deserved. The faults that we have on the Lunar are totally unacceptable, and you can only comment upon what you know. Therefore, as far as I'm concerned, I wouldn't touch Lunar again with your barge-pole, let alone mine.

I accept that there might be minor issues with something that contains so many components, but they should be that, minor, and there should only be one or two.

I know how caravans are built (I've visited enough factories to see for myself) and it is such an antiquated system, but that's no excuse for an appalling sub-standard product.

We swapped a perfectly good, and well built Abbey GTS for the Lunar. Yes, initially that had some very minor faults, but overall gave good service, something that I fear the Lunar won't.

Russell, we did visit the NEC, and did speak to Lunar representatives (not dealers or sales people) and were seemingly fed a load of bovine effluence! They made all kinds of promises, including a delivery date of April! That turned out to be June. We were promised that "production models will have this, that, and the other", none of which materialised.

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site
Nigel,

I do take your point - if my van had the list of faults yours had I would probably be threatning to set fire to it outside the factory gates !

I guess you are relying on the dealer to sort out, just a thought why not phone Lunar direct (what can you loose), if they are serious about customer satisfaction then they should take action (if only to avoid the negative publicity) - as I said when I had a problem it was resolved via the dealer with Lunar inside a week with Lunar sending the part direct.

I guess that you cant invest in an automatic assembly line that results in a uniform standard (like cars) because of the low volumes - also don't forget people pay fortunes for 'handbuilt' but I guess the downside is the problems that can and in your case obviously have cropped up.

Hope you get a resolution and that my Lunar doesn't fall apart.

Regards

Jon

Jul 28, 2008
Visit site
JohnnyV

I hope your Lunar stays in one piece. You're right, I have thought about an insurance claim (stone gate posts etc), but I'm afraid I'm too honest and would likely get caught.

Lunar are involved in the saga, from one of the Directors downwards. I'm sure they will try to resolve things, but alas many shouldn't be there in the first place. As I've said before, I know how caravans are "built", but that shouldn't stop a good and consistent quality product leaving the line. There's clearly a lack of quality control there (and probably at most other Manufacturers too, with one exception. Begins with C and ends in n).

The problem is, the whols episode has left a bad taste, and I'm afraid no matter what is done will now take that away because I know what has gone before. It's like buying a brand new car that breaks down the minute you leave the showroom. It go's back for repair, and breaks down again. After being repaired again, a door falls off. You get the picture.

Good luck with yours.

Nigel.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Hi Nigel

Sorry to hear your tale of woe. What a shame. A new caravan should be a pleasure not a disaster!.

Let's hope Lunar resolve all the issues swiftly (sic).

Just remember your contract is with the dealer not Lunar.

Thus any rejection of the van must be addressed to the dealer.

Keep us posted and let's hope common sense comes quickly from the Lunar camp.

Cheers

Dustydog

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts