Lunar Ultima EW "v" Bailey Indiana

Jan 7, 2007
Visit site
We are just about to change our caravan for a New Bailey Indiana when we decided to have a final look to ensure that we are buying the correct one for our needs. Two adults, 1 teenager and friend. The caravan will be used occasionally by my parents on their own (in their 70's). Having the fixed bed means they do not have to make beds up each night. However we came across a Lunar Ultima which is 1 year old and is an exclusive model to the dealer. The caravan is based on a Lunar Lexon twin axle end wash room but is light enought to be towed by our vehicle. Does anyone have any knowledge about the Lunar range or the Ultima range so we can look at a comparison of the two vans. We have a week to decide. There isn't much difference in the prices.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Julia, I know the dealer special that you're talking about. We were at one time considering a similar option, Bailey Senator Wyoming V the Ultima. In the end the Bailey won out, and very pleased with it we were. A couple of things you may wish to consider.

Warranty, will the one on the Ultima be as good as that of a new caravan?

Price, we were offered the Ultima at the same price as a Wyoming, even though the Ultima had a much higher list price, make sure you are getting a good deal here. If they can't shift the Lexon, they should be flexible with costs. Remember resale values here too.

We found the Bailey to be a better caravan, better built and speced, but if it's the space you desire, the Lunar would be the better option. Please be aware that running costs for a large twin axle are considerably more than a single axle. Consider awning costs, insurance and servicing too. You may want to invest in a motor mover (more expensive on a twin).

I don't want to sound like I'm against the idea of the Lunar, horses for courses I say, but last minute decisions tend by their very nature to be hasty. Be sure it's what you want before you sign on the dotted line.

Jan 7, 2007
Visit site
Hi Julia, I know the dealer special that you're talking about. We were at one time considering a similar option, Bailey Senator Wyoming V the Ultima. In the end the Bailey won out, and very pleased with it we were. A couple of things you may wish to consider.

Warranty, will the one on the Ultima be as good as that of a new caravan?

Price, we were offered the Ultima at the same price as a Wyoming, even though the Ultima had a much higher list price, make sure you are getting a good deal here. If they can't shift the Lexon, they should be flexible with costs. Remember resale values here too.

We found the Bailey to be a better caravan, better built and speced, but if it's the space you desire, the Lunar would be the better option. Please be aware that running costs for a large twin axle are considerably more than a single axle. Consider awning costs, insurance and servicing too. You may want to invest in a motor mover (more expensive on a twin).

I don't want to sound like I'm against the idea of the Lunar, horses for courses I say, but last minute decisions tend by their very nature to be hasty. Be sure it's what you want before you sign on the dotted line.
Thank you for this. However the small amount of cost between the new Bailey and the 1 year old Lunar is minimal. This cost has been based on a five year plan and includes a motor moover which is already fitted to the Lunar and the fitting of one to the Bailey. The seats in the Lunar are longer whilst the space in the Indiana is more. This cost also includes an additional/extended warranty on the Lunar to match the duration of the warranty of the Bailey. I just wondered if anyone can give me any feed back on structure and quality of both of these caravans or an alternative. This is a tough decision as the family is split between the two.

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
I expect to get lynched by some Lunar lovers that have had faultless Lunars, there are sure to be some ;-)

If you want it straight and unless you're a gambler.

I still wouldn't buy the Lunar if it were half the price of the Bailey. I've never owned one. But have friends who have and would never touch again. In general Bailey's resale values tell the story I'm afraid.

Dec 23, 2006
Visit site
Julia,

I have owned 3 Bailey Senators, all from new ,and 1 Lunar Delta from new in recent years. From my experience there is no comparison, the Bailey is by far the better built caravan. The after sales service from Lunar was poor. From Bailey it was excellent.

I would expect the Senator to have more kit on it.

With a Bailey you get a 6 year water ingress and delamination warranty plus 3 years parts and labour cover for everything else,which can be extended for a further 3 years giving 6 years complete peace of mind. The Bailey warranty is factory backed.

Hamer

Hamer

Jan 7, 2006
Visit site
Hi Julia - we have just ordered another Bailey caravan and would not look at any other make now.

We have always been very happy with the Bailey build and quality.

Have a look at the Oklahoma which has longer front seats than the Indiana. We were stuck between the two vans but want to use the front seats as single beds for our two kids, so we have ordered a new Oklahoma. The Indiana seats would probably be too short for your teenager and would more than likely need to be made up as a double bed each night. The Oklahoma has more storage room as well.

Good luck with your choice.

Janet

Apr 11, 2005
Visit site
Hi Julia

just to say the warranty on A Lunar is NON -Tranferable, which i found out to my cost when I bought a six month old one, however I do believe the Bailey warrantys are transferable, I wouldnt buy another Lunar based on this, although I have never had any trouble with my van, I think in the year 2007 a warranty shoud be upheld for its full term regardless of who owns it in that period .

Tina x

May 4, 2005
Visit site
Hi Julia

just to say the warranty on A Lunar is NON -Tranferable, which i found out to my cost when I bought a six month old one, however I do believe the Bailey warrantys are transferable, I wouldnt buy another Lunar based on this, although I have never had any trouble with my van, I think in the year 2007 a warranty shoud be upheld for its full term regardless of who owns it in that period .

Tina x
Hi Tina ,long time no see. Happy new year to you and yours .

Brian, Bina, Kean and Joel.

Apr 11, 2005
Visit site
Hi Julia

Tina x
Hi Brian, thankyou,and a happy new year to all of you, hope you had a lovely christmas,Tina xxx

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts