Lunars - damp and leaks. Tru or false?

Sep 13, 2010
Visit site
We're looking at buying a Lunar caravan (prob 2006 onwards) but a friend of mine said that Lunar vans are prone to leaks and damp. Does anyone have experience of this?

Jul 28, 2008
Visit site
Lunars did have a reputation for leaks a number of years ago, hence the nickname, "Leaky Lunar". However, there were also "Soggy Swifts" and "Boggy Baileys".
They have generally the same water ingress warranty as most other manufacturers, which is usually six years. Therefore, as with any caravan, make sure that you have a damp test done.
Having said all that, we had a 2009 Lunar Lexon which had damp (under one of the windows and also in the roof), and to say that that caravan was a disaster is an understatement (not just because of the leaks). That has been swapped for a 2010 Lunar Clubman, and so far so good........... You wouldn't think that they came from the same place.
Bottom line is that if you like the caravan and it suits your purpose, it doesn't matter who the manufacturer is. There are good and bad from them all. Just make sure that it is checked properly before you buy.
Nigel.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Used Lunars are featured in this months Practical Caravan magazine (page 108) and there are tips on what to look out for.
Lunar were the subject of a management buy out in 2007 and returned to UK ownership so models built after the takeover are said to be a better buy. Judge each caravan individually and expect a full dealer service history on any model that you consider buying, floor delamination has been known to be a problem in these later models but by and large they should be no worse than other manufacturers models.

Feb 16, 2009
Visit site
The lunars before the management buy back were bad, the Dutch owners policy was make them and stack them no quality control at all, seems since the management buy out they realised this and have worked hard to retrieve the situation. l have a clubman which up to now has had just 4 faults, 3 of which have been corrected in double quick time, the fourth will need to be corrected by spinflow and lunar, paint coming off the hinges on the sink. Only time will tell if it stays damp free, here's hoping.

Jul 28, 2008
Visit site
Nigel,
Interesting that you too have paint coming off the sink/cooker hinges. Our 2010 Clubman SE is doing the same. Like you, we've had a couple of minor faults (cd player that didn't and a lose shower riser). The problem seems to be component parts again, but those components are fitted to lots of different Manufacturers' 'vans, so they're all probably suffering the same. Other than that, what a difference from the 2009 Lexon SE. That was enough to put me off Lunar for life, but now faith is restored. We generally had Abbeys in the past, and none of them were without fault - the first one (1989) leaked!
Nigel.

Feb 16, 2009
Visit site
Nigel got the hinges from the dealer, also they had to re-screw the side panel on the fixed bed some were missing, l also had a bracket made to strengthen it, the thetford toilet pc board keeps dropping out of its carrier (a known fault with some) that will be sorted when the new front centre blind comes the bottom right hand clip keeps coming off, right pain to get back in position, cause no spacers fitted to the window to clear the rubber seal that's now sorted. The hinges and the Thetford toilet will be sorted as soon as the blind arrives ordered last week, as you say all are components from supplier’s not Lunar them selves, other than that well pleased with Clubman.
Nigel H

Dec 24, 2008
Visit site
Hi all
We have a 2008 Lunar Delta ,when it went in for its service in Sept
30/40% damp was found around the front windows to date we are still waiting to hear from
the dealer/Lunar as to when they are going to get it sorted.
Tom

Aug 28, 2005
Visit site
i have a 2007 Lunar Lexon 640 T/A , we use it all year its been through snow blizzards driving though France , and its still as good as the day i bought it , the only trouble i had was with the sliding door in the middle which i resolved myself

Aug 5, 2010
Visit site
I am on my 4th consecutive lunar and am very happy with them, Currently i have a 2005 Delta 640EW, just been through tempretures down to -7 but have been very comfortable, no problem with damp, use it 12 months a year. Appart from a Van master wouldnt have anything else.

Apr 25, 2008
Visit site
The problems with lunar started well before the Dutch company owned them,I had a lexon ew t/a and a delta 640 some 6yrs later hoping that the build quality had improved,it had'nt they were still rubbish,The first one was gone after three months,the delta lasted six months.And it was all down to design and build quality,Never again.

Feb 16, 2009
Visit site
Think you will find build quality has improved tremendously since the management buy back, hence Clubman SE tourer of the year for couples 2010, just read reveiws of owners on this forum and Caravan talk.
NigelH

Apr 25, 2008
Visit site
That maybe the case for the clubman,But I and many others will disagree,I spent over £30,000 finding out that they were rubbish,I recently looked at the latest delta t/a,and everything was thinned down for the sake of weight,very flimsy.Even though the one I was looking at was a demonstrator it certainly was in a sad state,creaking floor,hinges coming adrift,I dont want to bore you but the list goes on,

TRENDING THREADS