Feb 1, 2009
Visit site
Hi we are travelling to Cornwall from Scotland this summer. Could anyone suggest a site close to the M6 around Lancaster, Garstang or just a bit further south. With preferably a pub or resturant/take away close by.

Thanks very much Alison

Mar 2, 2008
Visit site
Alison

Low Park Wood is a few minutes from J36, which is a couple up from Lancaster/Garstang.

Had a great time there last year. No pubs nearby, but a short drive will see you down the Grange-over-Sands road, where there are a few at the roadside, or Kendal is within a 10-15 minutes drive.

There are a couple of villages nearer, but I'm not sure of their facilities (pubs etc.)

Feb 1, 2009
Visit site
Thank you all for taking the time to reply. I've been looking at the Bridgehouse Marina in Garstang, close to m6 and a walk along the canal back into Garstang.

Thanks again and best wishes Alison

Aug 30, 2006
Visit site
Hello Alison.

How about this then.?

Leave the M6 at Shap ( J 38 ) and join the A6. Enjoy the lovely drive over Shap Fells to Kendal and thence to the Caravan Club Site at Low Wood ( as suggested by John ). The following morning, you will be about half a mile from the A591 ( a dual-carriageway ) which in another three and a half miles will put you back on the M6 at junction 36. Apart from the short approach to Low Wood, this diversion will add just one mile to your journey compared to staying on the motorway.

In addition, by arriving earlier than you would at Garstang, you can enjoy the pleasant drive along the edge of Morecombe Bay to the lovely little village of Arnside where you can sit and watch the sun set over the bay with the Lakeland hills in the distance. Where to sit.? Simple, at the tables outside the Albion pub on the seafront. What to eat.? Simple again, the Albion does food but better than that, a short walk back along the front is one of the best chip shops for miles around.

If you don't fancy that, then there's the Wardens Secret which they didn't tell John about because they want to keep it to themselves. Leave the caravan site, take the first right into Nannypie Lane and in less than a mile you will come to the Strickland Arms a refurbished pub where the food is good and reasonably priced.

Hope this helps,

Olly.

PS - If you want to look at the suggested pubs, take a look at .

http://www.storth.com/pubs.htm

Feb 3, 2006
Visit site
Alison, what you don't say is where in Scotland you are going to. It's all a long way from Cornwall !

Personally I would aim for Tebay. It might be attached to the services but you would never guess. It's used as a holiday base as well as a stop over and it has many advantages.

1)It's on the motorway so you waste no time trying to find it.

2) It's incredibly quiet, you are more likely to be disturbed by birds than traffic.

3)All the pitches are pretty flat. I would pre book but ask for a slot in the late arrivals area where you won't even need to unhook the van.

4)The toilet block is immaculate and although we always prefer to use our own shower this is a place I make an exception on an overnight stop.

5)Although it's a service area the food is reasonable and even if you arrive pretty late you can still get something to eat.

6) Depending how far you are going in Scotland, Tebay gives you a better chance of setting up in good time when you get there.

Oct 21, 2008
Visit site
Can I suggest Waters Edge Caravan Park at Crooklands, near Kendal - its just off junction 36 of the M6 - small pub on site plus another pub-restaurant five minute walk away - quite small site but very pleasant and reasonably priced - Kendal is quite near and can recommend the local fish and chip shop in Milnthorpe about ten minutes by car

www.watersedgecaravanpark.co.uk

Aug 4, 2005
Visit site
Alison,

I used two of the sites already mentioned by others on my way south from Scotland.

The Tebay site is very handy for an overnight stop. Although located adjacent to the North bound services you would be able to access it via the service road from the south bound area. We use it as an overnight stop at least twice a year.

We have also stayed at the Low Wood CC site, approx 15 minutes drive from the motorway. Good site also.

What time of day are you expecting to stop? Low Wood being a CC site probably wont accept arrivals after 8pm but you can get on Tebay at any time.

Although a lot further south than you are asking about we used to break our journey to Cornwall at the CC site in Tewkesbury, again handy for access to and from the motorway.

Robert

Mar 2, 2008
Visit site
Hello Alison.

How about this then.?

Leave the M6 at Shap ( J 38 ) and join the A6. Enjoy the lovely drive over Shap Fells to Kendal and thence to the Caravan Club Site at Low Wood ( as suggested by John ). The following morning, you will be about half a mile from the A591 ( a dual-carriageway ) which in another three and a half miles will put you back on the M6 at junction 36. Apart from the short approach to Low Wood, this diversion will add just one mile to your journey compared to staying on the motorway.

In addition, by arriving earlier than you would at Garstang, you can enjoy the pleasant drive along the edge of Morecombe Bay to the lovely little village of Arnside where you can sit and watch the sun set over the bay with the Lakeland hills in the distance. Where to sit.? Simple, at the tables outside the Albion pub on the seafront. What to eat.? Simple again, the Albion does food but better than that, a short walk back along the front is one of the best chip shops for miles around.

If you don't fancy that, then there's the Wardens Secret which they didn't tell John about because they want to keep it to themselves. Leave the caravan site, take the first right into Nannypie Lane and in less than a mile you will come to the Strickland Arms a refurbished pub where the food is good and reasonably priced.

Hope this helps,

Olly.

PS - If you want to look at the suggested pubs, take a look at .

http://www.storth.com/pubs.htm
Olly

They must be a sneaky bunch those wardens! I'll do a quality check when I'm next there!!

Thanks for the tip

John

Feb 6, 2009
Visit site
Alison,

I used two of the sites already mentioned by others on my way south from Scotland.

The Tebay site is very handy for an overnight stop. Although located adjacent to the North bound services you would be able to access it via the service road from the south bound area. We use it as an overnight stop at least twice a year.

We have also stayed at the Low Wood CC site, approx 15 minutes drive from the motorway. Good site also.

What time of day are you expecting to stop? Low Wood being a CC site probably wont accept arrivals after 8pm but you can get on Tebay at any time.

Although a lot further south than you are asking about we used to break our journey to Cornwall at the CC site in Tewkesbury, again handy for access to and from the motorway.

Robert
Hi Alison

I agree that the service station at Tebay is one of the best - the farmshop is amazing! But if you are travelling to Cornwall then I would suggest stopping off a little later than Tebay. There are some great caravan parks off the M6 past Lancaster/Morecambe.

We always stop off at Whitecross Bay in Ambelside - slightly off the M6 but worth it if you want to relax and break the journey up properly.

You can visit the website - www.slholidays.co.uk

Probably one of the best I can suggest, it is part of South Lakeland Parks who have a few different sites across the North West.

If you have any questions about Whitecross or any of the other parks please post them and I will try my best to answer!

Thanks

Kate

Feb 1, 2009
Visit site
Thank you all for taking the time to reply.

Rioja, thanks for your info, and yes it is a long way to St Ives, we used to live in Plymouth and are used to the M6/M5/A38 route. As we are travelling south to Cornwall and now live 85 miles north west of Glasgow we thought after a five - six hour drive to lancashire, it would be time for us and our children to stop for the night.

We are then planning to stop at Yeovil for the next couple of nights as the children want to go to Yeovilton Air Day. Booked the Southfork Site close to Martock.

Kate, the Ambleside site sounds good and I am going to look into that for the journey back up - maybe stop off for a couple of days. Last visited Ambleside 15 years ago so it would be nice to see it again. Or perhaps the Waters Edge site, thanks Jon.

But the first stop on the return journey I have already booked is the CC site at Tewkesbury, thanks Robert, sounds like you do this journey from Scotland as well.

Olly, what can I say you info was most appretiated and thanks for the pub link.

Thanks again for everyone who replied and I very much appretiate the time you have taken to do so.

Best wishes Alison

Feb 3, 2006
Visit site
You have made a good choice Alison.

My info was duff in as much as I didn't read your post correctly thinking you were travelling to Scotland for your holiday.

For anyone going in that direction Tebay is highly recommended if you want a quick overnight stop !

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts