Macho Men or Plonkers?

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
O.K. as a person who is forever seeking to further my knowledge I hope a forum member can identify themselves with the question I'm going to ask and can give me some answers.

Now we have all seen the following on site or at various places, seaside resorts etc.

At a site rececently it was sheeting it down with rain when a new arrival pitched opposite us. Out of the car got macho man! shorts, polo shirt and trainers and in spite of the deluge he proceeded to set up. After about 10 minutes something must have dawned on him, he was getting wet, so he then put on a short raincoat which never even covered his aspidestra and a baseball cap to cover his bald pate. He never did the coat up so his rather large paunch was still catching the worse of the rain.

That evening he, his wife and a couple of their friends went for a walk. It now gladly had stopped raining but the temperature was 4c. His wife and friends were dressed accordingly, trousers, boots and anoraks. Macho man? still in his polo shirt, trainers and shorts. It was spot the odd one out, the emphasis being on odd hehheh!

O.K. he isn't the only one, who for some reason when going away throw their common sense away too, theres lots, we have all seen them. They are on holiday so have a need to advertise the fact regardless of our inclement weather.

Can any forum member identify themselves with the kind of person I've just described and enlighten me as to why you do it, please.

I have to add its a man thing, women never do it. YEAH YEAH I can hear Maureen, Wendy, Lisa etc. extolling how women are more sensible than men so :OP

May 21, 2008
Visit site
You call him "macho man" I call him "Neondathol man" let me guess he also pranced around like a gorrilla trying to show mussle under the bulk.

He didn't happen to be towing a cave did he.

I must admit to wearing old jeans when pitching the van but that's being practical. If I knacker them then the nearest bin will do for them.

Mind you, thats after changing into better trousers.

Have seen better though. There used to be a chap at a garage opposite the cricket club in Tenbury who wore a "syrup" to cover the solar panel and then a "compo hat" to keep the "syrup" clean.

"nowt so quere as folk" so they say!!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
And why is it always the fat ugly fellers that strip down to shorts first? Oh, sorry if there are any fat ugly fellers out there! I didn't mean you personally!

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
You call him "macho man" I call him "Neondathol man" let me guess he also pranced around like a gorrilla trying to show mussle under the bulk.

He didn't happen to be towing a cave did he.

I must admit to wearing old jeans when pitching the van but that's being practical. If I knacker them then the nearest bin will do for them.

Mind you, thats after changing into better trousers.

Have seen better though. There used to be a chap at a garage opposite the cricket club in Tenbury who wore a "syrup" to cover the solar panel and then a "compo hat" to keep the "syrup" clean.

"nowt so quere as folk" so they say!!
What muscle Steve? His paunch was so big he couldn't have seen his muscle for years hehheh! and yes, he walked like a Sumo wrestler, legs and arms akimbo as if he was trying to stop others from passing him.

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
And why is it always the fat ugly fellers that strip down to shorts first? Oh, sorry if there are any fat ugly fellers out there! I didn't mean you personally!
lmaaoooooooo emmerson but theres more truth in your words than you realise.

May 12, 2006
Visit site
I am really puzzled as to why you could be bothered to be so observant ???. You must have something missing in your life!!!!You not only describe the bloke but his wife and friends as well. Why not go down the pub with them and ask why he wears shorts etc ??. I know maybe he is macho man and you didn't really want to find out.

Val & Frank -)

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
Duhh! Frank - if you had read the post it would be obvious to even the dumbiest. For your perusal again, only in UPPER CASE so you can understand.

1.IT WAS POURING WITH RAIN SO BEING SENSIBLE I STAYED INSIDE.

2. HE PITCHED RIGHT OPPOSITE.

3. HIS PORTLY FIGURE IN YELLOW POLO SHIRT COULDN'T BE MISSED EVEN BY A CROSS EYED BENGAL CAT.

4. AS I SAID, WHEN WALKING ALONGSIDE THREE OTHERS HE DID RATHER STAND OUT FROM THE CROWD.

Did I strike a chord with you Frank, are you the one to give me the answer to why males wear shorts when on holiday, come rain, snow or shine?

Hehheh!

May 12, 2006
Visit site
Duhh! Frank - if you had read the post it would be obvious to even the dumbiest. For your perusal again, only in UPPER CASE so you can understand.

3. HIS PORTLY FIGURE IN YELLOW POLO SHIRT COULDN'T BE MISSED EVEN BY A CROSS EYED BENGAL CAT.

4. AS I SAID, WHEN WALKING ALONGSIDE THREE OTHERS HE DID RATHER STAND OUT FROM THE CROWD.

Did I strike a chord with you Frank, are you the one to give me the answer to why males wear shorts when on holiday, come rain, snow or shine?

Hehheh!
Heeehhhhhhhhhh

that got you going.

Val & Frank xxxxx

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Lord B it will take all sorts to make the world go round. In the individual's eye there are certainly some plonkers out there in this world. However what might appear rediculous to you may be acceptable to another. Perhaps this chap was happy the way he was dressed, didn't know or think better or thirdly dressed to amuse you. Seriously perhaps he did not have a change of clothes as he might not be able to afford the caravan and holiday and a new wardrobe of clothes. Give the man a break - obviously he did not have a care.

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
Lord B it will take all sorts to make the world go round. In the individual's eye there are certainly some plonkers out there in this world. However what might appear rediculous to you may be acceptable to another. Perhaps this chap was happy the way he was dressed, didn't know or think better or thirdly dressed to amuse you. Seriously perhaps he did not have a change of clothes as he might not be able to afford the caravan and holiday and a new wardrobe of clothes. Give the man a break - obviously he did not have a care.
Thanks Colin but it still doesn't help my quest for knowledge hehheh!

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site

Hehheh!
Noooooooooo Frank it didn't, but now I'm getting frustrated because I thought you might have my answer :O(

Aug 9, 2005
Visit site

Yeah, there's always one, and he stands out like a sore thumb, but that is what is intended in my opinion.

Nov 1, 2005
Visit site
Hi LB. I don't mind setting up in the rain, you can only get wet the once then you're as well to carry on. In 4 drgrees I'd probably be comfortable in trousers and a T-shirt, I don't ever feel the cold. I must admit to not actually owning a pair of shorts, and these shorts that come to just above the ankle seem a bit silly.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I have met him Lord B, a slimmer version, but him just the same. He tried to use second reverse gear to get his van on the pitch because ordinary reverse gear wasn't fast enough. Then used the caravan steadies as legs so that his wheels were of the ground, and was too macho to accept a little friendly advice. His wife and kids remained in the van until he had "set up", unfortunately without electricity because the hook-up lead was too short, and no he wouldn't move the caravan closer. Gone in two days, no doubt complaining that caravanning wasn't for him.

We once knew a young chap that went outside in the pouring rain to clear a blocked drain, shorts, tee shirt and flip flops were all he had on. When asked why, he said, "You can only get so wet", which when thinking about it is "so true".

LMH

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
If he was wearing an England shirt, shaven head and about 6.3ft and built like a shire horse, I could have probably identified him.

Lisa

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
Hi LB. I don't mind setting up in the rain, you can only get wet the once then you're as well to carry on. In 4 drgrees I'd probably be comfortable in trousers and a T-shirt, I don't ever feel the cold. I must admit to not actually owning a pair of shorts, and these shorts that come to just above the ankle seem a bit silly.
craig, the point I was making was the person wearing shorts. Obviously most have set up in the rain but usually wear suitable clothing ;O)

Jul 12, 2005
Visit site
Oi LB

I was going to get changed when we got back from the pub!!!!!

No get back to the serving wenches before I decide to pick up everything off the floor while facing away from you in these loose fitting shorts!!!

You CRACK me up!

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
Oi LB

I was going to get changed when we got back from the pub!!!!!

No get back to the serving wenches before I decide to pick up everything off the floor while facing away from you in these loose fitting shorts!!!

You CRACK me up!
Sheesh, don't do that, I can't even eat a hotdog without it playing up with my homophobia :O(

LMH

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
If he was wearing an England shirt, shaven head and about 6.3ft and built like a shire horse, I could have probably identified him.

Lisa
Well, I don't know him THAT well, I can definately say 'built' but I have noticed his wife's always got a smile on her face, so who knows!

Lisa

TRENDING THREADS