Mallau bridge

Nov 2, 2005
Visit site
Has anyone been down that area and stayed near the bridge, Were not looking to camp directly under it you understand. but within about a 30 miles radius.

Looking for info on campsites and the area.

Thanks

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
There are lots of fantastic sites around. In Millau itself (not under the bridge I hasten to add, which is a few kilometres up the valley) Les Rivages is good - nice grassy pitches, good restaurant, nice pool, clean facilities - and you can use ACSI after 1st September, which brings the cost down to 14 euros per night. There are loads of sites along the Tarn Gorge - from ultra small upwards. We stayed at Les Peupliers at Riviere sur Tarn (lovely bread, friendly site, quiet entertainment (quizzes, etc) and a medium sized site. Our friends stayed also at Les Peupliers (breakdown in communication) further up the Tarn in Peyrelade!!! That was lovely, too - smaller and quiet, but nicely shaded.

Mar 29, 2006
Visit site
Hi,

About 3 years ago we stayed at the municipal site about 5 miles from Millau at a little town called Aquasac. It was right on the river and the kids loved it as it was safe to swim and paddle in, it was nice and clean and cheap, there was a small bar on site and also one in the village as well as the bakers,butchers and cake shop if you want the name I will try to find it for you as I can't remenber it of the top of my head.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi, We're trying a site on the Lac de Pareloup this year (in between Millau and Rodez). It's called Le Caussanel and is a Sunelia site. We would have liked to be on the Tarn but most sites which back on the river have their entrances on the main tourist road which I felt uneasy about as we like to cycle from the site with the little one on the back of the bike!

Jun 11, 2005
Visit site
Hi, we hav ejuts returned from a stay at Val de Cantobre which is 20 miles from Millau. It's a fantastic site with bread deliverd to your van each day as ordered! To see the bridge take tha Albi road out of Millau and just after the village of Cressials there is a stretch of two lane road with the carriage ways separated. You will seea sign pointing to the left 'Aire de Observation' and the single track road ( route dangereuse!) has plenty of passsing places. At the top there is a little cafe and a viewing point that juts out over the valley. On returning to the Albi road turn left and continue towards the bridge itself. Under the bridge is an offical visitor centre witha really good dislay and video (in English.

Other Clive

Nov 2, 2005
Visit site
Hi Clive

This road to the observation point it would be a windy road with snake bends and hanging off the end of the cliff would it?

Did that sort of a road in the pyrenees last year. We had to stop so I could get out, it was worse being the passenger when we continued.

I have never known so much fear could exist. Absolutely terrified there are no words that can discribe the fear. Couldn't so that again...

Feb 18, 2006
Visit site
Are there any restrictions on caravans using the bridge? If not does anyone know the toll charges for car + caravan?

Steve W
hi,, last august we paid 7 euro to cross the brige no restrictions on the bridge. if its really windy they put the barriers down... its a fantastic bridge well worth the money to cross.happy travelling

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
hi,, last august we paid 7 euro to cross the brige no restrictions on the bridge. if its really windy they put the barriers down... its a fantastic bridge well worth the money to cross.happy travelling
Thanks for the info, can't wait to fly across with the van,must be breath taking. Don't think the better half will be as keen.

Steve W

Feb 18, 2006
Visit site
Thanks for the info, can't wait to fly across with the van,must be breath taking. Don't think the better half will be as keen.

Steve W
its certainly breathtaking i was nervous coming up to the bridge you can see it for miles before you actually get to it,well worth it though have a good trip.

Jun 11, 2005
Visit site
Hi Clive

This road to the observation point it would be a windy road with snake bends and hanging off the end of the cliff would it?

Did that sort of a road in the pyrenees last year. We had to stop so I could get out, it was worse being the passenger when we continued.

I have never known so much fear could exist. Absolutely terrified there are no words that can discribe the fear. Couldn't so that again...
Hi,

the road is okay. We have a Sorento and there was ample room, with good visibilty of oncoming cars, although on the sharp bends I did sound the horn. I have had a similar experience to you dropping down into the Jonte Gorge near to Le Truel. The front end of our Mondeo was out in space and my wife told me to take the road signs more seroiusly next time. I have never done it again.

Other Clive

Jan 1, 2006
Visit site
Other Clive

Re Val de Cantobre

I can only agree 100%. we like the wild life IE Birds etc and had 3 walks with Paul they were not to be missed at any costs. I had never seen a European Beaver but have now what a site to feast on. one down side Her who wants to be obayed did not see a Hoopoe. That means we will have to go back again all 770 miles,am I complaining yes I will have to wait till next year.

Re costs I used camping cheques when you see the rubbish you get from UK "top sites" you can see what good value you get when you visit this site.

PS forgot to mention the romantic dinner. to much about that and the hole thing will be edited.

David from Suffolk

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We've just had a super two weeks at the Val de Cantobre site, which we can certainly recommend. The Viaduct at Millau is a wonderful piece of engineering and also beautiful in its own right. If you are in the area, it is hard to avoid seeing it -we kept coming across stunning views around every other corner! The visitor centre is interesting, although much of the imformation provided is only in French.

As first timers to this area, we had definitely underestimated travelling times on roads that were usually mountainous and twisting. The 26 km from the site into Millau usually took us about 40 minutes and other 'nearby' attractions required similar lengths of time. As a consequence, we had to revise some of our plans for the time we spent there, since many of the places we had thought we could easily reach in an hour or so effectively took at least twice as long to get to. On the other hand, we found lots of lovely and interesting villages and national park areas to visit in the immediate area, which more than compensated for the places we decided to leave for another year!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts