Maniac Drivers !!

Apr 11, 2005
Visit site
On the way back from yorkshire via the a59 we were travelling in the blubberhouses area, doing perfectly fine, in a few steep places where we had to slow it down we found passing places and pulled in to be courteous to any traffic building up behind ! everyone was friendly and waved or gave us a nod of thanks!

So why when we get on a straight with a limit of 60,and we are doing 60(wouldnt go any faster without van in tow)did this tosser feel the need to pull out and drive at a car coming the other way head on? I actually though this is it , he is dead and hes going to kill the poor family coming the other way who looked absoulutely petrified, to pass us he had to be doing at least 70 and made it clear he thought it was us holding him up,judging by the fact we could see him in the mirror about a foot away peeping in and out,if all these people had of died I would probably have given up caravanning through guilt even though we had done nothing wrong!!!!!It was an extremely narrow escape that made my stomach lurch, Why are people so anti caravan when as I stated earlier we where doing the limit speed of the road anyway ?

Mar 16, 2005
Visit site
Hi Tina,

Just a point so that you don't get foul of plod! The speed limit for towing a caravan is 50 mph unless on dual carriageway or motorway when it's 60 mph.

Apr 11, 2005
Visit site
Hi Tina,

Just a point so that you don't get foul of plod! The speed limit for towing a caravan is 50 mph unless on dual carriageway or motorway when it's 60 mph.
I know but it was just to emphasise the point that we where hardly holding this w***er up !! as we were going faster than we really should of ( albeit flat, safe and stable) this guy really did nearly wipe out a whole family!mr plod would of been to busy picking body parts up!!

Apr 11, 2005
Visit site
Hi Mac

just to clarify, the section of the road we were on was a long straight stretch with a solid white line on our side, the other side was a dual lane , the poor guy was in this outer lane when the idiot I mentioned decided to break all safety rules,I dont know if this type of road is classed as a dual carriage way or not so yes possibly we were going 10mph over but this was bieng aware no-one could pass us and deciding to keep with the flow(perfectly safely and well within our driving limits)of the traffic,what is the limit of a road of this type?? anyone??

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Mac

just to clarify, the section of the road we were on was a long straight stretch with a solid white line on our side, the other side was a dual lane , the poor guy was in this outer lane when the idiot I mentioned decided to break all safety rules,I dont know if this type of road is classed as a dual carriage way or not so yes possibly we were going 10mph over but this was bieng aware no-one could pass us and deciding to keep with the flow(perfectly safely and well within our driving limits)of the traffic,what is the limit of a road of this type?? anyone??
Tina its 50 mph I'm afraid. If you were travelling at an indicated 60 mph on your speedo you are more likely to be travelling at a true speed of nearer 56 mph.

Apr 11, 2005
Visit site
Tina its 50 mph I'm afraid. If you were travelling at an indicated 60 mph on your speedo you are more likely to be travelling at a true speed of nearer 56 mph.
thanks dusty,so do you think the copper would be busy doing me for going 6mph too fast or the wally who whizzed past at god knows what speed over a solid white line head on into a family on a day out ?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The A303 near Ilminster in Somerseet has two lanes in one direction, and one in the other, with with two solid lines between. The two lane / one lane changes direction every mile or so. There has been total confusion over the 60 mph speed limit which was being enforced. It has been challenged in court at 60mph as it has been claimed that it is a virtual dual carriageway. The Highway authority are refusing to put speed limit signs up and the Police have announced they will not prosecute at less that 70mph. The speed camera that used to cover the road in one direction has been removed. If the Police can't agree on the correct limit for this type of road what hope is there for the rest of us. Further info on this can be found on the ABD ( Asociation of British Drivers) website under local issues Somerset.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The A303 near Ilminster in Somerseet has two lanes in one direction, and one in the other, with with two solid lines between. The two lane / one lane changes direction every mile or so. There has been total confusion over the 60 mph speed limit which was being enforced. It has been challenged in court at 60mph as it has been claimed that it is a virtual dual carriageway. The Highway authority are refusing to put speed limit signs up and the Police have announced they will not prosecute at less that 70mph. The speed camera that used to cover the road in one direction has been removed. If the Police can't agree on the correct limit for this type of road what hope is there for the rest of us. Further info on this can be found on the ABD ( Asociation of British Drivers) website under local issues Somerset.
If your towing on single track roads it's enevitable you can't corner at the same speeds as solo. Consequently traffic builds up and can't get past if the road is full of bends. If you slow to let traffic past it can sometimes makes the situation even worse as the following driver isn't always fully aware of your intentions if you signal left turn to try letting them know it's OK to pass.They might brake thus slowing everything down. That's why when you get a long straight stretch that is the time to let traffic pass rather than you trying to show every one how fast you can tow with a van on the back.The exception of course is when you have been held up by a slow moving vehicle, and what solo drivers often don't appreciate is how long it takes to pass another vehicle when you have a van on the back !

Apr 11, 2005
Visit site
Dave I didnt "slow" to let traffic pass as I said I pulled into a parking layby and waited till clear!was not trying to show everyone how "fast I could tow"! if you read my post you would see that the road I was on had a solid white line,I would of had to stop or slow to 10mph for anyone to pass me legally, something i'm sure they would be extremly pleased about,I was doing 60 comfortably not pressurising myself to keep up,I also said the road was straight so no I wasnt holding this wally

up by going slow round corners,I would not of gone any faster in my car on its own, this was a chunk who decided he hates caravans and is prepared to die to prove it.

Apr 4, 2005
Visit site
Hi Tina

We had a similar experience when towing the caravan a couple of weeks ago. We were on a small twisty road when suddenly a car overtook us and the large vehicle in front of us. We too felt sick and literally waited for the bang as the car was on the wrong side of the road on a completely blind left-hand bend. It was driven by a young boy-racer and if the approaching car had been literally seconds sooner they would both probably have been killed and us involved in a very nasty situation.

The standard of driving generally these days is terrible with many young drivers, and not just males, cutting in front at roundabouts, driving too fast for the conditions and many times we have seen people trying to beat red lights.

Recently my friend saw two young male drivers overtake on the right hand side, a car which was waiting to turn right!! Never any police around at such times but it means the rest of us have to be even more aware and consequently driving is not as enjoyable as it should be.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The police were about on one occasion when I was travelling up the M1 on my way to Beverly to collect a caravan. Three lane motroway, approaching a an HGV in the nearside lane, pulled out into the middle lane to overtake, when a "Prat" in a BMW passed me on the near side and then procedded to pull out in front of me with only 25ft between me and the lorry, My brakes went on. and the BMW's hand came up with a salute that would have made Churhill proud if he was going backwards.

All this happened just as we passed a stationary patrol car, and guess what, Blue lights and sirens caught up with the accident on wheels. Result YES!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Tina, if you strung up your "very nice knickers" in the back window of the van I bet no fella would ever overtake you again ................. can you let me know your holiday route this year and times you will be travelling? I will know to avoid those times due to traffic congestion

May 4, 2005
Visit site
It always amazes me how many cars can get out of junction/roundabout as you approuch, how fast someone can accelerate on a slip road to get out in front of you,how people overtake and then slow down in front of you and how you can never find a kangaroo to run over when you want one.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
It always amazes me how many cars can get out of junction/roundabout as you approuch, how fast someone can accelerate on a slip road to get out in front of you,how people overtake and then slow down in front of you and how you can never find a kangaroo to run over when you want one.
There's a kangaroo on this site now!!

May 4, 2005
Visit site
Tina, if you strung up your "very nice knickers" in the back window of the van I bet no fella would ever overtake you again ................. can you let me know your holiday route this year and times you will be travelling? I will know to avoid those times due to traffic congestion
Tina ,keep heavy objects over the axle!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I'm sure you are correct in that the camera partnership will not automatically give you money back. They don't normally even when they know they have made a mistake, it is up to each driver to apply seperately.

If you have concerns why not write to the Avon & Somerset Chief Constable and ask him what the speed limit is at the point you were booked?

As I said the Police wanted the Highways authority to put signs up indicating the speed limit and they refused. The Police say they will not prosecute below 70mph and the camera has been removed. Time does go on though and who knows what todays interpretation is. I will try to obtain up to date information and post it if I get anything new.

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
Tina

I drive about 50,000 miles per yr. Believe me, you dont need a caravan on the back to be overtaken by complete d**ks, wether you are doing 60, 70 or 80. Just keep driving safely.

Chris P

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Tina, after witnessing an inconsiderate caravanner travelling in the middle lane of the M6 north bound yesterday, for mile upon mile, with no vehicles in the inside lane, is it any wonder some motorists are anti-caravan.

Mar 21, 2005
Visit site
Tina, after witnessing an inconsiderate caravanner travelling in the middle lane of the M6 north bound yesterday, for mile upon mile, with no vehicles in the inside lane, is it any wonder some motorists are anti-caravan.
Geordie,

I'm sure you will agree that it's not only caravanners who are guilty of this irritating practice. I've witnessed this thousands of times; cars and vans being the most prolific offenders.

If you want to overtake them and you are in lane 1, you have to enter lane 2 and then lane 3 and then go back into lane 1 whereupon they look at you like you're some kind of maniac.

There are clueless drivers in all kinds of vehicles, not just caravanners.

Apr 11, 2005
Visit site
Geordie

Like Jane says its not just caravans that do this !

Its unfortunate that there are a few minority caravanners that give the rest of us a bad name !!!

Apr 3, 2005
Visit site
Do you all not agree that a lot of other drivers have to get past "THAT CARAVAN" in front at any cost!!! I have cut up or forced to slow down on more than once. We all travel at a safe speed it just takes us a bit longer to get there. Look at it this way we are enjoy our hobby the prat is on this way to work and hopefully late as well, so just relax and let them get on with it.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts