Manual or Automatic ?

Page 3 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
It wasn’t inefficient, just patently unreliable. There’s a difference.
It was definitely not efficient. Being efficient means achieving maximum productivity with minimum wasted effort or expense or also working in a well organised and competent way. Both of which it did not.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Why on earth shouldn't the Powershift qualify? My comment was not about reliability, or product failure issues it was about the efficiency of the transmission of power.

Power touch is a gearbox, and in a very similar manner to the VAG DSG, it uses clutch plates to connect the power through the system, so the in use losses will be virtually the same as a manual gearbox.
It is well documented, as previously mentioned, Powershift was and is a dismal failure and currently costing Ford substantial monies in compensation. It was so inefficient it didn’t do what it was supposed to.

I’ll let you off the typo🙀😉

Seriously Prof the Ford used dry clutch plates, the majority of the VAG units are wet clutches, a bit like our old motorcycles.

There is a lot of VAG engineers who believe the Aisin type auto box with fluid flywheel is actually more efficient than a manual for some circumstances.
Most are 8 or9 speed.
Most allow the torque converter to totally lock up once warmed up, not long.
The software ensures the engine rpm and gear is correct that instant.

VAG DSG is also an excellent piece of kit.

So is a manual or automatic more efficient? All drivers are different, roads are different, who knows.

Reactions: Buckman
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
It is well documented, as previously mentioned, Powershift was and is a dismal failure and currently costing Ford substantial monies in compensation. It was so inefficient it didn’t do what it was supposed to.

I’ll let you off the typo🙀😉

Seriously Prof the Ford used dry clutch plates, the majority of the VAG units are wet clutches, a bit like our old motorcycles.

There is a lot of VAG engineers who believe the Aisin type auto box with fluid flywheel is actually more efficient than a manual for some circumstances.
Most are 8 or9 speed.
Most allow the torque converter to totally lock up once warmed up, not long.
The software ensures the engine rpm and gear is correct that instant.

VAG DSG is also an excellent piece of kit.

So is a manual or automatic more efficient? All drivers are different, roads are different, who knows.
At the time Powershift demonstrated problems some VAG DSG were also having problems, Particularly the unlubricated ones. My Skoda diesel being high torque had an oil lubricated DSG.
Torque converter lock up isn’t that new my 2 litre petrol Mondeo had it. My mk1 Mondeo auto had switchable overdrive for improved economy. Nice car ahead of its time.

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I think for cars gearboxes we are talking mechanical efficiency IE energy in versus energy out.
Exactly and the Powershift was always dubious about energy in and energy out as on many occasions it forgot about the energy out. You probably will not understand until you have driven one. As said I am not sure about models after 2016 as gave up following the Ford forum.

Our 2004 Volvo S80 had the same issue with the lag and I am fairly sure it had the Ford gearbox? So although several years had passed with numerous complaints about the Powershift, it was never resolved.

Reactions: Dustydog
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
The Swedish national police went from manual Saabs to automatics on account of the high repair costs associated with manuals. Lots of cries of pain from the drivers. But fleet repair costs went down and when checked many driver acceleration time reduced and in fact the majority thought it was a positive change.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Exactly and the Powershift was always dubious about energy in and energy out as on many occasions it forgot about the energy out. You probably will not understand until you have driven one. As said I am not sure about models after 2016 as gave up following the Ford forum.

Our 2004 Volvo S80 had the same issue with the lag and I am fairly sure it had the Ford gearbox? So although several years had passed with numerous complaints about the Powershift, it was never resolved.
No need to be condescending, I have driven one, my daughter had a 1. 6 litre Focus 2016 MY. When working it was a good drive but she had two full rebuilds and Ford gave her a “ private” warranty extension. In 2022 she changed to a Corolla hybrid. Nuff said.
WRT to your Volvo I we’ve discussed that it was designed and developed before Ford acquired Volvo so that was a Volvo glitch.

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Oh come on, we’ve only had the car for 2 years, haven’t got round to trying that yet! 😜😂 Thanks, I’ll give it a go!
I am not a mind reader, so I was only trying to offer helpful advice based on my experience towing with various autos in a wide variety of areas. If it did not work just say so.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
No need to be condescending, I have driven one, my daughter had a 1. 6 litre Focus 2016 MY. When working it was a good drive but she had two full rebuilds and Ford gave her a “ private” warranty extension. In 2022 she changed to a Corolla hybrid. Nuff said.
WRT to your Volvo I we’ve discussed that it was designed and developed before Ford acquired Volvo so that was a Volvo glitch.
No idea, but Ford took over Volvo in 1999 maybe transmission was a carry over from Volvo. The transmission lag was the main reason why we got rid of the S80 after only 18 months. Otherwise it was a very nice comfortable car to drive.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
No idea, but Ford took over Volvo in 1999 maybe transmission was a carry over from Volvo. The transmission lag was the main reason why we got rid of the S80 after only 18 months. Otherwise it was a very nice comfortable car to drive.
Your model year S80 was a full Volvo product and so Ford cannot be blamed unless of course they tweaked the control software 😂

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
Interesting to read these posts which all seem to write about different issues with auto gearboxes. Inefficiency; lag; no power and so on.

No one has brought up any issues with manual gearboxes.

Possibly the only mention was that there could be a possible heating problem with the clutch when pulling away. Something that may occur but not often and can depend on a number of factors such as driving ability, terrain and what you're towing. I don't think its going to be a regular problem in my opinion.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Your model year S80 was a full Volvo product and so Ford cannot be blamed unless of course they tweaked the control software 😂
I never blamed Ford for the poor gearbox in the Volvo, but what I did indicate is that they have may used the Volvo gearbox in later Fords as they shared the same platform as the Volvo.

I am not a mind reader, so I was only trying to offer helpful advice based on my experience towing with various autos in a wide variety of areas. If it did not work just say so.
Ford suggested to us to use the vehicle in Sport mode to overcome the lag, but it was still present however not as bad. Unfortunately there was a slight increase in fuel consumption, but that was the least of our worries.

Aug 18, 2024
Visit site
Interesting to read these posts which all seem to write about different issues with auto gearboxes. Inefficiency; lag; no power and so on.

No one has brought up any issues with manual gearboxes.

Possibly the only mention was that there could be a possible heating problem with the clutch when pulling away. Something that may occur but not often and can depend on a number of factors such as driving ability, terrain and what you're towing. I don't think it’s going to be a regular problem in my opinion.
I could bring up loads Sam. When a lad I did “Motor Vehicle Technology” then worked in the private sector, then over to a utility looking after their fleet, They moved to predominantly auto transmission vehicles purely because they were more reliable and as tough as nails…..They had to be!

From a personal viewpoint, and it is fairly well informed, I have now had five Auto cars, and have had not one issue with the gearboxes. I also have a manual Ford Ranger pick up truck, a bit of a must where I live, I have had it for nine years, I have had to fit two new clutch slave cylinders, one clutch master, and a clutch assembly including flywheel.

Please don’t thing manual gearboxes are without fault…….Far from it. 👍

But it still does not get away from the fact that a modern auto is a far superior choice for the tower than a manual. But not just towing, off road as well, and off road towing. Having been in the motor trade, albeit a long time ago, and had dozens of cars and received numerous training sessions in driving, give me a modern auto any day.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
I remember coming back from the river beach at Onnie in Port Harcourt, in our 2 1/4 litre, Petrol , series 2 land rover, with a laser dinghy on the roof, climbing over sandunes,the sound of that gearbox working away, was NOT music to an engineers ears.

Aug 14, 2019
Visit site
Noo, what I’m saying is that being the dunce I am, I never thought about trying Sport mode but now you’ve mentioned it, I’ll try it.

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
I could bring up loads Sam. When a lad I did “Motor Vehicle Technology” then worked in the private sector, then over to a utility looking after their fleet, They moved to predominantly auto transmission vehicles purely because they were more reliable and as tough as nails…..They had to be!

From a personal viewpoint, and it is fairly well informed, I have now had five Auto cars, and have had not one issue with the gearboxes. I also have a manual Ford Ranger pick up truck, a bit of a must where I live, I have had it for nine years, I have had to fit two new clutch slave cylinders, one clutch master, and a clutch assembly including flywheel.

Please don’t thing manual gearboxes are without fault…….Far from it. 👍

But it still does not get away from the fact that a modern auto is a far superior choice for the tower than a manual. But not just towing, off road as well, and off road towing. Having been in the motor trade, albeit a long time ago, and had dozens of cars and received numerous training sessions in driving, give me a modern auto any day.
You've mentioned before that you believe auto is better than manual, and I accept you may be correct, but you've not provided any evidence of why you think so.

Could you please give some facts about what my experience as a driver will be using auto vs manual - apart from no stick to waggle. I've used both auto and manual and petrol and diesel for towing and not towing and all have got me from A to B and I've never had an experience in which any of them couldn't cope.

That includes a Toyota Yaris that had an hybrid electronic shift into a manual gear box - no clutch.

Unlike you my own personal experiences are different. I've had numerous auto and manual cars and never had an issue with either type of gear boxes not clutch. Well excluding my very first 1960 Triumph Herald where the clutch slave cylinder seals needed replacing.

Aug 18, 2024
Visit site
You've mentioned before that you believe auto is better than manual, and I accept you may be correct, but you've not provided any evidence of why you think so.

Could you please give some facts about what my experience as a driver will be using auto vs manual - apart from no stick to waggle. I've used both auto and manual and petrol and diesel for towing and not towing and all have got me from A to B and I've never had an experience in which any of them couldn't cope.

That includes a Toyota Yaris that had an hybrid electronic shift into a manual gear box - no clutch.

Unlike you my own personal experiences are different. I've had numerous auto and manual cars and never had an issue with either type of gear boxes not clutch. Well excluding my very first 1960 Triumph Herald where the clutch slave cylinder seals needed replacing.
Sam, you are not wrong, we all like different things, and yes, my personal view of manual gearboxes compared to the modern auto is that they are a pointless waste of time, literally pointless.

Even F1 knew that years ago, and in fact, F1 is responsible for the modern Automatic gearbox, or at least a lot of tech is employed.

Once you have driven a modern auto for a while, you will not go back to a manual ever again. Driving, with the van down to near Agen, auto box, Active Cruise Control and Lane Departure Warning on the Auto Route is a dream. 👍

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Sam, you are not wrong, we all like different things, and yes, my personal view of manual gearboxes compared to the modern auto is that they are a pointless waste of time, literally pointless.

Even F1 knew that years ago, and in fact, F1 is responsible for the modern Automatic gearbox, or at least a lot of tech is employed.

Once you have driven a modern auto for a while, you will not go back to a manual ever again. Driving, with the van down to near Agen, auto box, Active Cruise Control and Lane Departure Warning on the Auto Route is a dream. 👍
How about Birmingham to Preston on the M6? 😱

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts