map finding

Jul 15, 2005
Visit site
William,

I agree with JimF, both his recommendations are good - but my preference is for www.viamichelin.com because you can configure the car (family hatchback, executive saloon, 4x4, etc.), the fuel and typical price, and if you are towing a caravan.

The planned route then gives you an idea of the fuel costs, toll costs, etc., and you can change the route to prefer motorways or whatever.

But if you want assistance whilst you are driving, you could consider a GPS system like TomTom ONE EUROPE or the Garmin equivalent - TomTom and Garmin are the top rated manufacturers - and give you door-to-door routing for the whole of Western Europe.

There's lots of forum discussions on these GPS systems. But even if you decide on a GPS, use viamichelin to plan the route beforehand (especially if you have the type of mind that can visualise and remember a route, or even if you don't), and take a cheap paper map with you - you might drop the GPS and it's wise to have a fall-back.

Robert

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
William - I'd get yourself a good French map, like the Michelin book (you can get them, usually, from those 'discount-type' bookshops). Then use mappy.com to work out your route to your chosen site, and then highlight it on the paper map(s)pages in highlight pen. This will give even the worst map reader a big help in working out where you are and where you are going. Also, once you've done this, look at the paper map yourself and make yourself familiar with the towns you go through, or the motorway junctions you need, and you'll be well-equipped. It sounds as if it may be your first time in France - well don't worry about the roads - there's much less traffic, and generally they are well-signposted. Just be aware that signs are usually situated right on the junction, and point in the direction you should be going. All the best - have a good holiday.

Nov 6, 2006
Visit site
William,

I agree with JimF, both his recommendations are good - but my preference is for www.viamichelin.com because you can configure the car (family hatchback, executive saloon, 4x4, etc.), the fuel and typical price, and if you are towing a caravan.

The planned route then gives you an idea of the fuel costs, toll costs, etc., and you can change the route to prefer motorways or whatever.

But if you want assistance whilst you are driving, you could consider a GPS system like TomTom ONE EUROPE or the Garmin equivalent - TomTom and Garmin are the top rated manufacturers - and give you door-to-door routing for the whole of Western Europe.

There's lots of forum discussions on these GPS systems. But even if you decide on a GPS, use viamichelin to plan the route beforehand (especially if you have the type of mind that can visualise and remember a route, or even if you don't), and take a cheap paper map with you - you might drop the GPS and it's wise to have a fall-back.

Robert
thanks for that advice it will come very handy no need for wife to come now

Nov 6, 2006
Visit site
William - I'd get yourself a good French map, like the Michelin book (you can get them, usually, from those 'discount-type' bookshops). Then use mappy.com to work out your route to your chosen site, and then highlight it on the paper map(s)pages in highlight pen. This will give even the worst map reader a big help in working out where you are and where you are going. Also, once you've done this, look at the paper map yourself and make yourself familiar with the towns you go through, or the motorway junctions you need, and you'll be well-equipped. It sounds as if it may be your first time in France - well don't worry about the roads - there's much less traffic, and generally they are well-signposted. Just be aware that signs are usually situated right on the junction, and point in the direction you should be going. All the best - have a good holiday.
well thankyou for your advice no we went to serigan plage this year but went round lyon for a hour got lost never again without a map so next year we are goin fully aquiped only goin down to biarritz on the gascony coast thanks again.hatfield mob

TRENDING THREADS