Maplin's Camping Satellite Kit

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Jun 25, 2007
Visit site
Thanks for your replies Sir Roger and JTS.

We're a little confused too! We've looked back on previous forum postings regarding aerials and satellite dishes and the general opinion seems to be don't bother with aerials and just go for a dish. We've got a status aerial (think it's a 530 but not sure) and on all bar one of our holidays so far we've had very little watchable TV. Rob gets a bit twitchy when he can't keep up to date with his football news on teletext and kids TV is always a good distraction when the weather isn't so good so we'd like to stand more chance of decent reception.

Where the aerial lead plugs into the caravan aerial wall socket, we have another socket at the side (marked 'SAT') which is the screw type you get on the back of Sky boxes so we're assuming that we'd connect the satellite dish cable there and the TV signal would route itself through the status and back out through the aerial lead into the TV.

It's really hard to experiment where the van is stored at Rob's parents house because we've very close to a TV transmitter so the picture on the drive is just about perfect with the Status anyway.

Really sorry if we sound a bit thick but don't want to get this wrong. Thinking of buying a dish on the internet as they're so much cheaper but this will mean it won't be as easy to return if we get it wrong.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Cheers, Claire & Rob

Jun 25, 2007
Visit site
Just thought of something else! We could take our Sky digibox on the road with us if this makes things easier. Our son has a standard box in his room that we pay multiroom for and we've got a Sky+ box downstairs so either would be an option :)

Aug 4, 2005
Visit site
Claire & Rob,

Re multiroom set up and taking one of those boxes. Somewhere in your contract it will state that to qualify for the reduced rate both boxes must be connected to your home phoneline at all times. This is apparently to prevent neighbours getting together and getting cheap SKY. I have multiroom and when my grandson (who lives full time with us) was "re-rganising" his room he disconnected his box from the phone and didn't bother to reconnect. First I knew of this was when a polite but firm letter from SKY arrived reminding me that I needed to have both boxes permanently connected to home phoneline. I don't know if they would bother about it if it was only for a short time and only occasionally. Worth bearing in mind though.

I have a t.v. with freeview but did upgrade to sat dish and digibox. Rather than take one of the home boxes away I got hold of a second hand one and bought a card from SKY. This card cost

Jun 25, 2007
Visit site
Yes thinking about it we had one of those letters from Sky too, Robert. When we had the multiroom installed, there wasn't a phone socket in our son's room and the engineer just left us some telephone wire to sort it out ourselves. We didn't think any more about it until the letter from Sky arrived so we then installed a DIY socket. Think we'd probably be ok taking the box with us as we'd only ever be away for 2 weeks at a time maximum and we could just play dumb (not difficult!). Might only get away with it once though.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Jan 22, 2008
Visit site
Yes thinking about it we had one of those letters from Sky too, Robert. When we had the multiroom installed, there wasn't a phone socket in our son's room and the engineer just left us some telephone wire to sort it out ourselves. We didn't think any more about it until the letter from Sky arrived so we then installed a DIY socket. Think we'd probably be ok taking the box with us as we'd only ever be away for 2 weeks at a time maximum and we could just play dumb (not difficult!). Might only get away with it once though.

Thanks for your suggestions.
worth noting, you are only contractualy obliged to have a phone line connected for the first year of your subscrption.

Aug 4, 2005
Visit site
Robin,

Not for multi room you're not. You can only get the reduced subscription cost if you stick to the terms and conditions,otherwise full subscription for both digi boxes.

What you say is correct for single box subscription fees

JTS

Jan 16, 2007
Visit site
Claire & Rob.

Connecting a cable to your sat socket will get you nothing. As I said before you need a sat receiver with a dish. I have recently kicked Sky into touch and the house and caravan are on FREESAT and we are so pleased with it. No subcription and all freeview programmes plus some others also free HD on BBC and ITV. This is what I would go for if I were you. Check out Argos, you can get a FREESAT box for under fifty quid or more if you would like a HD box. You can also get a 60cm dish and tripod on Ebay for less than

Jun 10, 2008
Visit site
claire&rob re sky sat the plug next to your areal is no good you should have sat dish outside van, cable from LNB to whatever de-coder you are using (you can use your Sky plus one from the house)cable goes into No2 inlet then you will need a Scart lead from Decoder to your TV but you willnot get to record anything unless you use a double cable LNB you must have 2 cables going into your Decoder to allow you to record anything (P.S.) remember to take your Sky card with you as they are decoder specific(will not work in any other box)or anyones card will not work in your Decoder

hope this clears up everything

cheers Duggie

JTS

Jan 16, 2007
Visit site
Claire & Rob.

I forgot to ask you about your digital connecter in your caravan. I can not see why the manufacturer would have put it there, I can only assume that you have a further digital connecter somewhere on the outside of your van. If you have an outdide locker check in there, or the battery box, in fact have a good look all around your van. If you have, this is where you would connect your dish and the inside one is where you would connect your digibox. If you have multiroom from sky at home you must leave your Sky boxes connected at all times, even after 12 months. They are very quick to detect a disconnected box and can impose further charges on you. Also, the alternative to buying a "FREESAT" box you could buy a Sky+ box and receive "Freesat+ from Sky" at

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Woah!!!! That kind of reply from Sophie is one which I would find highly insulting as a member of the forum, and even more so if I were a new member.

Whilst I uderstand that the same questions are asked time and time again, and the more long term users have the answers, we all have to start somewhere and helpful replies are all that are needed.

Yes there is a lot previously written, but the search system is not good, not easy to use and if you do not pick the part of the forum where they are posted you get no results.

In direct reply to John, yes the Maplin and Lidl systems are good value for money and relatively easy to use, once you master finding the satellite!!!

There is a very good work through at the web site satelliteforcaravans, and I also believe that there is a good one somewhere in the forum, but I cannot find it off hand.
Hi Damian

It was acid comments like Sophies' that made me ask the Archives question. I really don't think members on this forum appreciate the problems you guys have with the archives and hence the need for all to be patient and repeat a lot of the items.

Hopefully , one day old Hezza will put his hand in his pocket and improve things.

Cheers

Alan

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi John

I also use one of the Maplin setups and have used it quite successfully just stuck in the case sat on a table in the awning.

You just need a clear line of site to the sat i.e no buildings or caravan in the way, so pick your pitch with this in mind and use a compass, simple one in the kit. Also reccomend buying the sat finder from Maplins, approx

Jun 11, 2012
Visit site
WEll John I dont think this topic got 34 replies first time round.

So I really hope we have been of some help towards your maplins satellite sysytem.

If you still need any help let me know

Regards Sir Roger

Apr 30, 2009
Visit site
Hi I'm a new comer to the forum and have the same question as John re the Maplins kit. Having looked at all the posts no one says if the kit is Ok for use in Europe? We are planning extended travel to France, Portugal Spain and Switzerland in the next year or so.

we are total newbies so please feel free to advise as much as possible

Thanks

Bob

May 21, 2008
Visit site
Hi Bob.

You should be perfectly fine to take your dish kit to europe and still recieve uk/sky tv.

Both maplins, Aldi and Lidl sat kits all work fine once you've mastered the compass set up proceedure. I have a Lidl kit which I have now adapted to accept the sky+ LNB reciever. After taking about 2 hours setting up the dish the first time, I put two lines on the compass dome to indicate direction and elivation (tilt angle). Now by setting the dish to these lines and then using the sky remote and selecting "services" then option 4 (system setup) then option 6 (signal test), I can set up in about 10 mins. I have found that in the signal test screen, signal strength seems to be direction horizontally and signal quality seems to be related to the tilt angle of our dish.

Hope this is helpfull, unlike the snappy, off the cuff belittleing responce the thread got initially.

Personally I will offer advice on any subject that I can, and I don't mind how many times I repeat myself so long as it helps others to understand.

I had a nasty piece of work of a chap where I worked who thought threatening me was the way to keep his job as he was not qualified and he rapidly found that I was far more educated than he was. Revenge was sweet one day when I came across him broken down with a flat tyre on the side of the road in the pouring rain. He quite obviously had a flat spare as well.

I stopped about 200 yards up the road and watched him running up the road, then my mean streak kicked in! I waved and drove off. Naughty I know but it taught him a lesson on being nice to people get's favors in return, especially as I had told all the lads at work inreadyness for his grand entry the next day.

Funny thing there, nobody ever got insulted, threatened or belittled ever again.

I went on to become a shift supervisor and no matter which team I lead, the out performed the rest of the company. when asked by the Md why I always had the best team? I said, it's amazing what a little respect can achieve when you know how to use it properly.

Regards.

Steve L.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I've had the Lidl one for several years - and had no problems. The dish may - however - be a little small if your "way down South". I only as 'cause we were near the camargue last year A nd I couldn't pick up a signal for love nor money. Looking at the other dishes on the site they were all significantly larger.

Having said that near Royan the year before no problems.

Jun 29, 2008
Visit site
Hi John

I have the Maplins satellite kit. They do two versions one with a plastic dish and one with a metal dish - or they did three years ago when I bought mine. I have the plastic one as it was on offer at the time at

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Sorry for not posting this earlier

This is Sir Rog's guide:

http://www.practicalcaravan.com/newforums/fm_messages.asp?FO=11&FM=413343
If you have the Maplin set up then it is easy.

Fist tip tho make sure you put the wing nut in that secures the dish.(lesson learnt )point dish south ,compass on the back of dish is good guide line

Right now you have done that set the arm to near enough vertical.

Set TV to AV channel switch on Sat receiver and press info button (SAt hand set )followed by button 1 you should have a humming noise from your TV gently move you dish one way or the other until you get the tuning bars on screen into the higher figuresw of say 70 the top and in the 60 on the bottom scale and listen the hum from tv change from a humming to high pitched whistle , the clearer the and louder the whistle the better your picture , now secure it all .

Good luck and have fun chaneels come down in no particular order.

Mark if you have any youngsters around while you are searching some adult sites will be seen

http://www.practicalcaravan.com/newforums/fm_messages.asp?FO=11&FM=413343

Apr 30, 2009
Visit site
Thank you all very much indeed - I will see if any offers are on the maplins kit after the weekend and will know that if i cant get a picture it is me doing something wrong rather than the kit!

many thanks - based upon the responses received I will certainly be looking for more advice again soon.

bob

Sep 7, 2005
Visit site
Hi Just got back from the van having spent all Saturday afternoon trying to get our Maplin's satellite in a suitcase going to no avail. We eventually found Astra 28.2 and got the background picture but kept losing it and in the end it flipped back on to 19.2 (?) (German). What are we doing wrong? We can't seem to get the dish to hold the position so it keeps going off the satellite. We have a satellite finder which is better than the compass that came with the kit. Sorry if we sound a bit vague but we work for lawyers and don't understand practical matters. We had thought of taking our Sky+ box to try that but we have multiroom boxes and have only just read that you have to keep all the phone lines connected. Any more suggestions please? Thankyou

Jul 11, 2006
Visit site
Right, let's clear this one up once and for all shall we?

Satellite and DTTV (Freeview) are two entirely different things. You receive Freeview from normal TV masts on a normal TV aerial. If your TV is not 'Freeview ready' (i.e. has built-in Freeview) you will need a Freeview set-top box which is usually connected to the TV with a SCART lead (often known as a Peritel lead in Europe.) Freeview is (supposedly) compatible with DVB-T, the standard more commonly used in Europe, but over there sat is a better bet.

For satellite you need a dish, something on which to mount it, a low noise block or LNB (the bit of electronics on the end of the arm) and a satellite receiver. There are TV's around now with built-in Freesat receivers but generally they are of the huge sizes - not too good in a caravan!

There are three lots of satellite reception, all from the same source.

FreeSat from Sky uses a Sky box with a card to view the free-to-view channels. These channels (such as the siblings of five, Sky 3, M&M etc) are free to watch but are encrypted so can only be seen with a Sky box and appropriate card. One downside of Sky boxes is that - generally - they are not the most sensitive.

Freesat - the satellite equivalent of Freeview - shows many of the same channels plus BBC1 and ITV high definition, but requires a Freesat box. A grade A HD box can be bought from www.humaxdirect.co.uk for

Apr 30, 2008
Visit site
Almost off topic but not quite, I bought the Maplins suitcase system last year but as yet haven't had the chance to set it up as we have only been away for 2 night breaks so far and i didnt want to spend valuable time learning how to set up.

However, last week we set off to Cornwall for 5 nights with 2 additional nights stopover at the CC site at Cheddar. On arrival we noticed that the bollards had tv booster sockets so went to hire a cable (ended up buying it but thats another story) plugged everything in and we were rewarded by perfect digital reception of the Freeview chanels. So no need for satellite set up again.

Off we went to Padstow. The site didnt have tv boosters but plugged in the tv in the normal way to find not much in the way of digital reception so retuned analogue and got the usual grainy/ snowy picture that we usually get from our mushroom aerial.

Before setting to with having a go at setting up the satellite system i decided to have a go at retuning the digital channel.....absolutely perfect pictures appeared.

I know Cornwall is in the middle of switchover with some areas having already gone but the Padstow area doesn't go over till July.

Im wondering if, when the whole country has gone digital,whether the sat systems or indeed the more modern aerials, will be necessary if you only want to see the freeview type channels when you're in the uk.

chenzhen

BANNED
May 19, 2016
Visit site
"The word vintage, used to describe dresses and clothing, is a broad term that is generally used to refer to clothing that originates from a past era. In general, clothing that dates earlier than the 1920s, is considered to be antique. Whereas clothing and dresses that have emerged after the 1920s, up to the 1980s and 90s, is considered to be vintage. Retro, or vintage style, usually refers to clothing that is an imitation of the style of a previous era.
A range of vintage style clothing that is hugely popular today, are the fifties dresses. The enduring popularity of these dresses, might be because that was the time women's clothing made significant strides, as it was after the second World War and many restrictions had been lifted and designers had more freedom and materials available to create beautiful women's fashion ranges.
Some of the popular dress styles that have enjoyed a timeless appeal have included the Ophelia dress, floral tea dresses, Audrey Hepburn style dresses, the figure hugging Lindy Bop dresses and dresses made famous by Grace Kelly and many classic Hollywood stars. Even today, young women are choosing vintage style dresses for their special occasions such as a ball, prom night, and other formal parties, because they have a definite charm and elegance and have been designed to enhance a woman's shape and beauty."
fake oakleys
michael kors uk
cheap ray bans
rolex watches for sale
nike free flyknit 5.0
ugg boots
coach outlet online
yeezy boost 350 white
michael kors bags
air max 90 white
ralph lauren outlet
louis vuitton bags
converse sale
coach factory outlet
adidas shoes
nike free flyknit 3.0
burberry outlet
nike air force
cheap ray-ban sunglasses outlet
tory burch shoes
nike tn pas cher
chaussure louboutin
adidas nmd runner
louis vuitton handbags
skechers outlet
oakley sunglasses cheap
cheap jordan shoes
louis vuitton handbags
ray bans
adidas nmd black
reebok classic
adidas trainers
vans store
nike cortez white
pandora charms
air max 90
adidas shoes
fitflops shoes
timberland uk
pandora charms uk
armani exchange
burberry bags
under armour
louis vuitton outlet stores
oakley sunglasses wholesale
coach factory outlet
pandora jewelry outlet
cheap basketball shoes
ferragamo
ralph lauren
pandora rings
toms outlet
michael kors outlet online
prada sunglasses wholesale
cheap ray bans
www.coachfactory.com
cheap air jordans
michael kors handbags
michael kors handbags
coach factory outlet
valentino
michael kors handbags
michael kors outlet clearance
michael kors outlet
ugg boots
ralph lauren
ghd
michael kors outlet clearance
mizuno running shoes
nike air force black
cheap jordans
nike free run flyknit
cheap ray bans
sac longchamp
kate spade outlet
cheap ray ban outlet
ray bans
true religion jeans
babyliss hair dryer
michael kors bags
true religion outlet
coach factory outlet
reebok outlet store
ray bans
nike trainers
polo outlet
fitflops
adidas superstars
true religion outlet store
kate spade uk
discount nike air max
ray ban sunglasses outlet
jordan pas cher
levis 511
yeezy boost 350 white
nike huarache
omega speedmaster
christian louboutin uk
michael kors outlet store
tiffany jewelry outlet
polo ralph lauren men
adidas supercolor pink
rolex replica watches
ray ban outlet store online
cheap nike air max
coach outlet store online clearances
tory burch flats
hollister hoodies
nike cortez shoes
louis vuitton outlet online
hollister hoodies
michael kors handbags
pandora jewelry
louboutin outlet
coach factory outlet online
adidas pure boost black
designer handbags wholesale
yeezy boost 750
true religion
kate spade outlet online
tiffany uk
lebron james shoes 12
red bottoms outlet online
cheap jordan shoes
jordans
gucci borse
gucci handbags outlet
ray ban sunglasses sale
lacoste shoes
bottega veneta shoes
michale kors uk
ray ban sunglasses discount
louis vuitton uk
cheap ray ban sunglasses
ray ban outlet store
nike air force black
longchamp outlet
micahel kors
adidas superstar white
air max
cheap nfl jerseys
burberry outlet
christian louboutin outlet
hollister clothing store
oakley sunglasses outlet
ray ban sunglasses outlet
ralph lauren
nike blazer
michael kors canada
birkenstock sale
cheap ray bans
coach factory outlet
white converse
louboutin pas cher
jimmy choo
ed hardy uk
louis vuitton handbags
bottega veneta sale
north face outlet
nike air max 95
burberry sale
abercrombie and fitch outlet
hollister kids
louis vuitton purse
supra outlet
nike huarache black
nmd adidas
asics running shoes
lacoste polo shirts
nike free flyknit 3.0
jordan shoes
michael kors canada
abercrombie & fitch
coach outlet online
tiffany jewelry
burberry outlet canada
ray ban sunglass,ray ban sunglasses,ray ban outlet,cheap ray bans,cheap ray ban sunglasses,cheap ray bans,ray bans
ralph lauren outlet online
oakley sunglasses outlet
canada goose outlet
mlb jerseys wholesale
vans outlet store
birkenstock sale
coach purses on sale
ferragamo outlet
valentino bags
rolex submariner
oakley sunglasses wholesale
mont blanc outlet
hollister co
nike air force
christian louboutin outlet
the north face outlet
armani outlet
tiffany and co outlet
michael kors handbgas
cheap oakleys
north face jackets
dior sunglasses 2016
coach outlet online
north face uk
kate spade bags
oakley sunglasses outlet
polo ralph lauren outlet
ray ban outlet online
adidas nmd uk
ghd hair dryer
jordan shoes
hollister uk
michael kors uk
buy red bottoms
nike roshe run
kate spade outlet
toms shoes
coach factory outlet
cheap oakleys
louis vuitton factory outlet
polo ralph lauren outlet online
puma outlet
true religion uk
chi flat iron
fitflops sale clearance
true religion jeans outlet
michael kors outlet canada
michael kors outlet
oakley sunglasses
instyler max
true religion jeans
fitflops
fitflops shoes
polo ralph lauren
pandora sale
michael kors outlet stores
hermes outlet
cheap oakley sunglasses
nhl jerseys wholesale
toms outlet
longchamp uk
timberland shoes
christian louboutin uk
asics gel kayano
michael kors outlet
ed hardy
polo ralph lauren
coach outlet store online clearance
versace sunglasses wholesale
louis vuitton borse
kate spade handbags
new balance shoes
versace sunglasses
birkenstock outlet
oakley sunglasses,oakley sunglass,cheap oakley sunglasses,oakley sunglasses cheap,oakley sunglasses outlet,oakley store,oakley outlet,oakley outlet store,oakley sunglasses sale,oakley sunglasses discount
michael kors bags
birkenstocks
nike air max 90
timberland boots for men
kobe bryant shoes
adidas shoes
birkenstock shoes
christian louboutin shoes
under armour outlet store
rolex daytona
michael kors outlet
abercrombie outlet
birkenstock uk
cartier
omega
polo ralph lauren
true religion sale
polo ralph lauren outlet
burberry outlet stores
nike shoes for cheap
nike store uk
ray-ban sunglasses outlet
michael kors handbags
sac longchamp pliage
nike force 1
ecco outlet
coach outlet online
louboutin shoes
canada goose jackets
nike free runs
reebok
converse outlet
coach outlet online
stephen curry basketball shoes
hollister kids
jimmy choo outlet store
nike air max 90
hermes belt
louboutin shoes
supra store
stan smith adidas
cheap ray ban sunglasses
toms outlet
rolex watches uk
wholesale nike shoes
gucci outlet online
yeezy boost 350
nike free 5.0
louis vuitton outlet stores
cheap nfl jerseys
reebok shoes
coach outlet online
coach outlet store
www.coachfactory.com
tiffany and co jewelry
timberland shoes
ray ban outlet
timberland boots on sale
cartier love ring
white converse
louis vuitton purse
air max 90
ralph lauren pas cher
air jordan shoes
prada handbags
michael kors canada
holliste sale
adidas gazelle
nike flyknit racer
fitflops sale clearance
oakley sunglasses uk
yeezy boost 350 balck
lebron james shoes 2016
ralph lauren outlet
nike running shoes
cheap ray ban sunglasses
kobe 11
oakley sunglasses outlet
nba jerseys wholesale
coach outlet store
michael kors handbags outlet
cheap oakley sunglasses
hollister clothing
polo ralph lauren outlet
tiffany and co outlet
louis vuitton pas cher
ralph lauren sale clearance
cheap oakley sunglasses outlet
"One of the most popular, but simple fifties dresses, is the petticoat. This was designed to be flattering to a lady's shape and also, to enhance the dress she was wearing over it. Petticoats made of silk and woollen materials were initially introduced for women to wear under the main dress, as they provided warmth and would enhance women's busts. The classic petticoat then became shorter and lacy petticoats became the fashion, as they delicately accentuated the dresses that were worn over them, such as the Ophelia dress.
Vintage style dresses UK are available in a wide variety of sizes from vintage clothing shops, textile fairs, auctions, flea markets, estate sales, antique markets, garage sales and collectable fairs. However, there is always the risk with buying genuine vintage clothing, that the sizes may not match current clothing sizes. But there are a number of special boutiques online, who specialise in designing and creating vintage clothing to order. They can take your specific measurements and produce an outfit that will be tailor made and fit you perfectly"
HDTDRTH

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts