Maragowan CC site (Killin)

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Calling upon our Scottish neigbours to asist us , we plan to visite this site in June 2007.WE have visited Scotland many times but not towing , on route within the Scottish Highlands we intend to stop off at Yellow Craig cc site (North Berwick)we would be very grateful for any information with regards to these two sites.

Royston

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
hello royston , I've never been to maragowan but yellowcraigs is a favourite for us , we have been many times. The facilities are up to the usual cc site standards , the site is divided in to different areas by sandy banks ,some areas are formal hard standings and some are grassy where the layout is a little less formal ,and there is a good childrens play area and lots of rabbits , wardens are nice too , there is a lovely beach within a mile of the entrance through a forest path and the town of North Berwick is about 4 miles away , although dirleton village complete with castle is within walking distance as well ( 1+1/2 miles)

Nov 6, 2006
Visit site
Maragowan is good! Within walking distance of the village. It can be prone to flooding in VERY haevy rainfall but I have been a number of times with no problems. A good area if you are into hillwalking and cycling.

Malcolm

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Thanks mo and malcolm for your comments,fingers crossed that the river at maragowan is not in flood, will ring site before we actually arrive .

Royston

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
Maragowan is up to the normal C.C. standards. We had to book in there because we chose to use the Clachan site, half a mile up the road that doesn't have a resident warden. We chose that one because it sounded nice and peaceful on a wooded hillside. It was also cheaper because it had no shower block. Big, big mistake though, the place was alive with midges although I'm sure the little shysters would be at Maragowan too because they were in the village of Killin.We were there at the beginning of July, again a bad time.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We though we would like the smaller site at Clachan, but we only stayed the one night. We found it depressing in the wood, very wet underfoot. We moved to the big site at Maragowan and, even though we don't really like 'big', it was very comfortable and well-spaced out. Killin very twee tourist town, but nice stroll away. Nice walk accross the bridge by the site and around th eback of Killin and even nicer walks up in the hills.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Attn mo,

Re Yelow Craig,

sounds good,Couple of questions if I may be so bold,

Midges are they around in June, despite all the repelants they still attack me.Hopefully the off shore winds keep them away.

Are the beaches closed for dogs during the summer seasons.

many thanks

Royston

May 13, 2006
Visit site
Hi Royston,

No, the beaches are not closed to dogs.

Two things:

(1) If, like me,you have breathing problems, there is a carpark closer to the beach - out of the site and turn left. Saves a little over half a mile.

(2) If, again like me, you feel the need to be within range of a loo, there are toilets not far from the beach.

North Berwick with the magnificent Sea Life Centre are near at hand. Launch trips round the Bass Rock are worth trying.

The site is the first one we ever used - forty years ago - and a recent re-visit showed it to be excellent.

Rob S.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi , royston sorry for the delay, I,ve been to yellowcraigs at all times of the year and the only time theres midges is later in the year in the evenings , the east coast is not so bad for the blighters,

the groung is sandy so if there is a lot of rain it drains really quick.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts