Maureen's back from holidays.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Just had nearly 4 weeks touring in the North of Scotland.The scenery was breath-taking.....and I've lived up here for 40+ years !!Weather was mixed,but the whole of Britain hasn't fared much better.

Diesel prices south of Inverness were 99.9p per litre,but north of Inverness it rose to £1.03 per litre.

We covered over 1000 miles many of which were single track roads,but with very little traffic to bother us.

Wendy, if you read this .....I fell in love with Altnaharra.We only had 2 nights there,but wished we were there for longer.

Our route was as follows

Newtonmore / Brora /Melvich /Altnaharra /Ardmair Pointjust north of Ullapool /Invergarry /Bunree /Killin .Enjoyed it so much,I'm busy planning next year's route !

Jan 21, 2014
Visit site
Hi Maureen

Glad to hear you had a lovely time - I knew you would! :O)

Altnaharra is lovely is'nt it - we are off next Saturday. Unfortunately we have got a wedding in the afternoon so will be setting off after the service, and hope to be on the road at about 4.30pm latest. We anticipate travelling through the night, probably with a couple of hours in a service area - not recommended I know! Booked on at Grummore for four nights so looking forward to it!!

LMH

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Maureen

It's great to have you back. Sounds like you've had a good time, 1000 miles, that's some going.

Know what you mean about diesel prices, I was miffed yesterday having to pay 97.9/litre.

Take care

May 21, 2008
Visit site
We went to Ardmair point on our tour of the highlands. It is such a beautiful setting.

Scotland is realy worth the 650 mile trek for us, and that was just to get to fort william.

Midges were around by the thousands but they even didn't spoil our trip. We still talk of that even two years later.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Steve,

If you come again to Scotland.......come outwith the midge season!!From end of May to end of Aug.these little blighters make life a misery.Any other time you will be more or less free of them.

Feb 3, 2006
Visit site
Hi Maureen

We are off to Altnaharra (7nights) then Kinlochewe,Morvich and Bunree (all 5 nights ) in September.

How did you get on for provisions,never been to Altnaharra ( pleased you love it so much !)and gather that it's 20 miles to nearest shops. Do we need to teke 7 days supplies then divert to Inverness to re stock ? On previous trips to the North we have been disappointed at the lack of fresh fish shops in particularly. It all seems to be packed off to Spain.

It's some years since we have been to Morvich. What is the shopping like in Kyle of Lochalsh ?

Your itinary for 4 weeks had twice as many stops as ours will have. Did you put an awning up ? Must admit, been to Ardmair Point and Killin and enjoyed them very much, Trouble is Scotland has too many beautiful places and you can't fit them all in, even over a month.This will be the longest trip we have ever undertaken and if all goes well we will venture abroad for the first time next year.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Rioja,

Apologies first.....I don't know whther you are male or female!!

The nearest shops for Altnaharra are at Lairg ( 20mls away ).But I don't know what's there,because I had stocked up at Thurso before going to Altnaharra and we were only there for 2 days unfortunately.The site shop sells bread,rolls and milk.

We didn't bother with an awning as couldn't face putting it up every few days,and can't say we missed it either.

Kyle of Lochalsh we used last year to stock up while we were at Morvich.There is a small supermarket there which is well stocked right beside the main road,so you can't miss it.

If you are going anywhere near Inverness,there is a large Tesco Extra which is on the Nairn road ( A96 ) minutes off the A9.Loads of parking so it is possible to go in with a caravan and park at the edge with no problems.

If there is anything else which you think of,let us know and we'll do our best to help.

Feb 3, 2006
Visit site
Thanks for the useful tips.

Rioja is the male preference, my wife should be called Pinot Grigio ! We both enjoy cooking and consuming good food & drink and where better than to enjoy it sitting in the 5 star luxury surrounds of the Scottish Highlands. Hopefully get a loch side pitch somewhere ! Roll on holiday !

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Rioja,

Have you ever been to Applecross?

and have you been to Plockton?

I'll wait for your answer,before giving any info.

My Hubby says I caould be called Burgundy, as that is the van which we have !!

Feb 3, 2006
Visit site
Hi Maureen,

We haven't stayed at Applecross but did the drive when we stopped at Morvich.

We seemed to pass Plockton without realising we'd passed the turnoff if I remember rightly, so no , we haven't been there yet. It was a popular destination when we were there because of Hamish Macbeth on TV.

We haven't been to Skye either. The bridge hadn't opened when we were last there, so this time it is a must.

I want to do the Falls of Glomach walk, go otter spotting at Glenelg, maybe the Five Sisters walk( or maybe not depending on how tough it is !), then on to Kinlochewe where Inverewe Gardens, Beinn Eighe and another walk across the valley are targets.

Altnaharra and Bunree are both new to us, although we have stayed at North Ledaig ( not impressed, too crowded and regimented in lines) and Glencoe Forestry Commission on one night stop overs.We have been to Oban lots of times as the ex CC site at Arrochar was a favourite.

Any other tips would be welcome both from you Maureen and anyone else who is out there !

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Rioja,

Bunree is a very busy site at all times.You might be lucky enough to get a pitch at the waterside (but no awnings ) and the view across the water is lovely.There is a ferry just around the corner ( Corran Ferry

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Maureen,

We haven't stayed at Applecross but did the drive when we stopped at Morvich.

We seemed to pass Plockton without realising we'd passed the turnoff if I remember rightly, so no , we haven't been there yet. It was a popular destination when we were there because of Hamish Macbeth on TV.

We haven't been to Skye either. The bridge hadn't opened when we were last there, so this time it is a must.

I want to do the Falls of Glomach walk, go otter spotting at Glenelg, maybe the Five Sisters walk( or maybe not depending on how tough it is !), then on to Kinlochewe where Inverewe Gardens, Beinn Eighe and another walk across the valley are targets.

Altnaharra and Bunree are both new to us, although we have stayed at North Ledaig ( not impressed, too crowded and regimented in lines) and Glencoe Forestry Commission on one night stop overs.We have been to Oban lots of times as the ex CC site at Arrochar was a favourite.

Any other tips would be welcome both from you Maureen and anyone else who is out there !
Arrochar used to be our local site 1hr away and we were really upset when the club lost the site to a property developer.

Mar 7, 2006
Visit site
Rioja - there is a co-op supermarket (kyle of lochalsh) just before the bridge over to skye (its always quiet - love it! even at 5pm on a friday night - 2 cars in car park!)

Fish and chip shop just behind the co-op by the harbour car park

Butchers and Fishmongers in main street by traffic lights

have a great time, this is our favourite area of scotland (skye and Applecross area)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts