Mazda 6 Estate

Jul 24, 2022
Visit site
Hi All,
I’m a newbie on here and to the world of caravans and have read several interesting threads over the last few days. There certainly seems to be some knowledgeable folk on the forum.
We have just ordered a 2023 Coachman 460 VIP as our first ever van and really looking forward to touring with it next year.
I currently have a 2021 Mazda 6 estate 2 litre petrol engine. We have had a Towsafe match report done and all the numbers suggest that the car is OK to tow the Coachman, although many of the figures are between 90% and 97%.
I now feel that I have to choose whether to keep the Mazda (which I really like) or change it before I shell out for a tow hitch.
Any observations and opinions would be welcome, especially from anyone who tows or has towed with a similar car.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I haven't towed with teh model you have so I can't offer a personal experience, but clearly you are feeling unsure about the cars abilities. YOU do need to feel confident, so perhaps looking at a more capable car would be a good thing rather than having nagging doubts at the back of your mind.

I have to comment that going straight to a 97% towing ratio is a big step. But It has been done before, and there's no legal ban on such things.

Just take care.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
The Mazda petrol is a non turbo engine and with that weight of caravan may need to be given some revs to maintain traffic flow. I had a 150 bhp non turbo Subaru and rated to tow 2000 kg. Even towing 1350 kg it was far to buzzy to be comfortable. Moving up to the turbo variant made life far more relaxing.
There’s a member (Raywood) who has a Mazda 6 and he contributes most days but I don’t know what weight caravan he tows.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
We use a Mazda 6 petrol with the larger power output to tow a caravan only slightly lighter than yours and it does manage. The towing ratio looks OK and I see no problem if you have the same engine, The lower tune version might struggle.

Reactions: otherclive
Jul 24, 2022
Visit site
We use a Mazda 6 petrol with the larger power output to tow a caravan only slightly lighter than yours and it does manage. The towing ratio looks OK and I see no problem if you have the same engine, The lower tune version might struggle.
Thanks for the response Raywood, appreciated. What is the power output from your Mazda?

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Without checking exactly I think it is 166nm. There are only two tune levels and the bigger engine only came with the Sports nav model. The towing limit is 1,500 kg.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts