Mazda 6

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi There.

Not been on here for a long time... I am in the process of buying a Mazda 6 2.0 lite petrol and would be interested in any forum users opinions as a towcar ( and any other opinions!)Its a 56 model. I have searched the forum and found little of note but have been on 'honest john' as was suggested in one post and unveiled alot of nightmare posts about the diesel variant. Another concern is when I phoned round to check on prices for fitting a towbar, one local fitter said he'd never fit one to a Mazda 6 again as it was such a nightmare job!!!

Regards

Craig

Mar 10, 2006
Visit site
Although the masda6 always seems to do well in road tests, as you have found out, the company do appear to be having some reliability problems.

I would rather go for the mondeo, after all ford own masda, and i believe the two cars are very similar, but with out the issues that masda appear to have?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Thanks Ray.

I have been looking at changing my car for the last 2 years and gone around in circles in the process. I originally looked at the Mondeo diesel but was put off by a couple of mechanics and internet reviews with problems with injectors, clutches and rear suspension failures. These will have been corrected on the latest model I assume - but it was enough to put me off.That said - the Mazda diesel seems to have the same problems although I read that it was not an identical unit to the Ford. Thats why I went for the petrol unit.

C

Mar 10, 2006
Visit site
Robbo

I don't think that any of the japanese manufactures are what they once were, apart from lexus, the reliability has suffered, really from when japan went into recession some years back. They had to join with the europeans etc to survive.

Jul 28, 2008
Visit site
Whilst I can't help with your Mazda 6 issues (I have driven both the current generation and the earlier one in diesel spec, and both were VERY good), ALL manufacturers will churn out a lemon now and again. If you get a good one (of any make) and it's what you like, it will be good, if you get the lemon......

Nov 28, 2007
Visit site
We towed with a Mazda 6 diesel for some years. Generally good but we did have ground clearence issues with the van in tow. Started getting nervous reading about diesel reliability issues so started looking around, then it started producing lots of blue smoke on startup so quickly got rid of it! Oddly, the perforfance was always good and i never had to add oil. Where the smoke came from then I don't know and didn't investigate.

It is a pitty that diesels are so much better for towing as diesels seem to have so many expensive faults.

I don't think there are any common components with the Mondeo, the engine is certainly different.

G

I have a ford Mondeo 2.2tdci 06 plate.

TRY a ford forum, put in "injectors" or "dmf" or "EGR valve" or lumpy idle for starters and then read on.

G

copied this from honest john. http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/ford/mondeo-iii-2000/?section=bad

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Thanks for your replies. I'm in posession of it now so its fingers crossed. I think I'll stay away from internet reviews after reading 'me's' link above re Mondeos!! If you've got a Mondeo - don't read it.

Regards

Craig

G

I did read it! after I bought the car, which has now done 106k

Egr valve holds true with mine, and the DMF will be replaced soon, but its done a hell of a lot of miles drives good,and to be honest you could read that sort on thing on almost any car.

just look at the trouble Mercedes are having with a new model having complete injector failure!

Mar 1, 2009
Visit site
Hi Robbo.

I have a Mazda 6 2ltr 57 plate, last of the old shape. This is my 4th Mazda and think they are an excellent car. Ihave NEVER had any problems from any of them. As for towing mine tows no prob, my van has a MTPLM of 1321kg and quite happily sits at 60-65 mph in 6th gear. And returns around 28 mpg, 40 solo.

As for ford owning Mazda they only own 30% of it !! 70% is still Japanese.

Hope this has helped you with some questions.

P.S mine is also a petrol version.

Dougie...

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Phheew...!

Thanks Dougie. TBH I've not really read anything bad about the petrols. I've had a Peugeot diesel for the last 6 years and its nice to drive a lively petrol again.Did you have the towbar fitted as supplied or did you have it fitted yourself?

Craig

Oct 13, 2008
Visit site
i had a 06 plate diesel moved it on before it devoloped all of the above problems but it was a good towcar in an estate body still have a spare alloy with new tyre so you get rid of the stupid spacesaver if anybody is interested

Nov 28, 2007
Visit site
Seems that Mazda are good at everything except diesel engines! I shouldn't crow as I now have an Xtrail, but hopefully the Renault engineered diesel engine now fitted is better than the Japan one.

Seems that the days of diesel engines plugging on forever are long gone in the race for more power and less emmissions.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
i had a 06 plate diesel moved it on before it devoloped all of the above problems but it was a good towcar in an estate body still have a spare alloy with new tyre so you get rid of the stupid spacesaver if anybody is interested
How much would you want for the wheel?... and more importantly -where abouts in the country are you? :)

C

Mar 1, 2009
Visit site
Hi Robbo.

I had my tow bar fitted by an independent fitter, he fully fitted and wired twin sockets into the cars electrical system. He fitted a witter system took him 6 hours to fit as they need to cut the bumper and wire it all in. Mine is the fixed towbar,cost me

Oct 13, 2008
Visit site
i would take 70 pound for it its just like brand new also got a pair of snow tyres on old style mazda 6 alloys that fine fine on the mk 2 give us a call on huddersfield 01484640516

Jul 27, 2010
Visit site
Seems that Mazda are good at everything except diesel engines! I shouldn't crow as I now have an Xtrail, but hopefully the Renault engineered diesel engine now fitted is better than the Japan one.

Seems that the days of diesel engines plugging on forever are long gone in the race for more power and less emmissions.
We have had 3 diesel Mazda6s in the last 5 years and tow a 1200kg van. No probs

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts