Met some really nasty people on my recent trip...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 13, 2022
Visit site
Now I'm always very careful to take note of one way systems and drive at the speed limit on sites. Coming back late one night, I was driving around towards my van on a route which from what I could see of signs was perfectly acceptable. A few people were walking in the road I was pulling out onto. At first I got confused which way I needed to go so started turning out to the left, quickly spotted the arrow pointing the other way, so backed up and turned out the other way. People coming the other way were close so I just stopped and patiently waited so they could walk around my car. A "man" who I will refer to as "husband" decided to make a smarmy sarcastic remark about one way systems being too complicated for me. I just said I'm taking a permitted route, just made a tiny error. At which point woman who I will refer to as "crazy wife" appeared and started laying into me and referring to me as a male appendage. Now stupidly, I sunk to her level and insulted her back, at which point all hell broke loose. Screaming at the top of the her lungs at me like she was demonically possessed. From that point on, there was absolutely nothing I could say to calm her down. Even though she was insulting me left right and centre, I apologised for insulting her, but on and on she went. All this was going on while Husband who made initial smarmy remark gallantly waited 20 metres away in silence. In the end I just let her finish saying her piece and march off. I suppose mentioning she was in breach of noise curfew would have antagonised her even more! ;)

TBH it really shook me up and has left me stewing over it for days after. Even if I had done something wrong, there was just no need for the abuse. I wasn't driving aggressively or putting anyone in danger. This was on a club site of all places where one expects a better standard of caravanner. I accept that I probably aggravated the situation by insulting her back but it's really hard not to retaliate when someone just starts calling you names out of the blue. She seemed absolutely incandescent that I had dared to insult her, but it was OK for her to call me names. I do suspect though that these people were walking back from the pub boozed up and fancied having a pop at someone. Thankfully, these were the odd ones out. Everyone else I met on the site was really nice. In fact, in all my tenting days and more recently, caravanning, I don't think I've ever had so much as a cross word with anyone, just friendly chit-chat, which is the way it should be. I thought about reporting it to the wardens, but it would have just been three people's word against mine. Didn't know where they were pitched either.

After speaking to my neighbour, I found out there was a more direct way of getting to my van so at least I wouldn't end up in conflict with them again.

Has anyone else had to deal with such obnoxious nasty people on a campsite?

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
We have run ins with wardens on tw of the unfriendly club sites, but we have never had a shouting match with them on anyone else on a site.

Nov 12, 2021
Visit site
Vile people are everywhere, not just the UK. I’m on a beautiful site in Brittany at the moment. Unfortunately, I witnessed a nasty incident yesterday just a few pitches away. An older British couple arrived at around 3:00 pm after going to reception and being directed to their pitch. Unfortunately, the pitch was still occupied by a French family who should have vacated by 11:00am. They were downright rude and abusive to the arriving couple who had no choice but to report back to reception. The French lady from reception got an equally abusive response when she ordered the errant family from the site. Remarkably or not, it was the woman who was the most aggressive and abusive and she seemed oblivious to the attention she was drawing from everyone nearby who were predominantly French.
I spoke to the British couple later who had had to wait two hours for the other family to pack everything up, slowly and leave. The couple were visibly shaken by their experience. What an awful start to their holiday!

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Vile people are everywhere, not just the UK. I’m on a beautiful site in Brittany at the moment. Unfortunately, I witnessed a nasty incident yesterday just a few pitches away. An older British couple arrived at around 3:00 pm after going to reception and being directed to their pitch. Unfortunately, the pitch was still occupied by a French family who should have vacated by 11:00am. They were downright rude and abusive to the arriving couple who had no choice but to report back to reception. The French lady from reception got an equally abusive response when she ordered the errant family from the site. Remarkably or not, it was the woman who was the most aggressive and abusive and she seemed oblivious to the attention she was drawing from everyone nearby who were predominantly French.
I spoke to the British couple later who had had to wait two hours for the other family to pack everything up, slowly and leave. The couple were visibly shaken by their experience. What an awful start to their holiday!
The only incident we had overseas was with an elderly German who was awkward. The roads on site on narrow and to swing into road leading away from the pitch and rear offside corner of the caravan would slightly overlap his pitch, but not the wheel itself.
In order to do the swing I asked if he would kindly move his scooter a few feet. He refused point blank muttering something about British and even when the staff asked he refused. I think his wife felt quite embarrassed.
Eventually to avoid confrontation I unhooked the caravan and used the motor mover. However in the meantime no one could get on or off the site. We did enjoy the rest of our holiday on that site totally ignoring him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts