Mitsubishi Outlander shock / replacement

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Sep 16, 2018
Visit site
Thanks for all the helpful comments, we've added the Skoda Kodiak to the theoretical list, which right now is Kodiak, Santa fe and Sorento in that order.

However I note some concerns about the Skoda gearbox on this forum, being dsg it my not be ideal for maneuvering a caravan.

Next step is to test drive them.

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for all the helpful comments, we've added the Skoda Karoq to the theoretical list, which right now is Karoq, Santa fe and Sorento in that order.

However I note some concerns about the Skoda gearbox on this forum, being dsg it my not be ideal for maneuvering a caravan.

Next step is to test drive them.
That’s why when I bought a Superb 4wd estate I tended to use the mover more at home and into storage. On site I would just view the pitch and decide on whether to use the mover or not. I would have done the same with any dual clutch transmission if towing. I wasn’t too concerned about gearbox integrity more that at slow manoeuvres dual clutch transmission isn’t as smooth as a manual with handbrake or auto with torque converter. My current car a KIA has DCT auto and has the same characteristics. In other respects they drive very well.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mandarin
Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Mandarin, look more into the Skoda gearbox problems, if you like the car. I mentioned the problems due to my nephew having problems with his Kodiaq. DSG gearbox. Maybe solved with newer models.
Santa Fe still my favourite.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
The petrol is low on torque but here t is 2 litre, the diesel is good. No idea ff he Australian model is the same as ours but it does not sound like it. Over here the cars ultra reliable but we have very different conditions. We are on our fourth Mazda and virtually nothing has gone wrong.

Reactions: Mandarin and Hutch
Nov 28, 2007
Visit site
We've had the outlander for 5 years since it was a year old and it's been a brilliant tow car, if a bit thirsty (22mpg towing)
However in December we found the exhaust manifold was cracked, £950 to replace, now we've been told it has an engine problem which will cost £4500 to fix plus a potential turbo failure for another £700. We are gutted and really can't justify spending this on the car, options for us are to get rid of it and try and find a reasonably priced replacement - or give up caravanning.

Having lost most of last year getting the caravan fixed this is last thing we wanted in retirement with a limited budget.

So now we're looking for a replacement which won't break the bank and will tow a 1550kg van.

We're looking for an upright suv style, obvious options are Hyundai Santa Fe and Kia Sorento.

I'd really appreciate any reccomendations for reasonably priced alternatives which would do the job.
The cracked exhaust manifold and the balance shaft drive are well known issues with the 2017/8 diesel Outlander. Fortunately I referred to a knocking noise in the engine at 3 years and both items were replaced under warranty. The knocking noise is very like normal diesel knock but lower down, lots of info on line. Might be worth contacting Mitsubishi direct for a contribution. The replacement parts I was told by Mitsubishi service, are to a higher spec. There is also a "delete" kit available for the balance shaft drive shaft.

Aug 12, 2023
Visit site
The petrol is low on torque but here t is 2 litre, the diesel is good. No idea ff he Australian model is the same as ours but it does not sound like it. Over here the cars ultra reliable but we have very different conditions. We are on our fourth Mazda and virtually nothing has gone wrong.
I had excellent run out of 2000 626. For towing I'd go with CX5 2.5 AWD version for long term reliability and its extra torque. If buying new there are now 2.5T versions for effortless towing.

Sep 16, 2018
Visit site
Overall to keep life simple the Outlander is going. We spent half of last year fighting with Elddis and have no wish to do the same with Mitsubishi this year, we just want to get out with the caravan.

We're pretty much settled on the Santa Fe, Sorentos seem to command a premium, however many have towbar, which at £8-900 is a significant factor.

However the most likely choice at our budget now is between an older Santa fe with low mileage, or younger with much higher.

We have looked at the Mazda but with a dog we prefer a larger boot, and grandchildren make 7 seats nice to have.

Last edited:
Sep 16, 2018
Visit site
Thanks for all the input and helpful comments. We now have a series 3 Santa Fe on the drive, we were fortunate enough to find one which happened to have a towbar, so saving a heap on having one fitted.

Hoping this means a normal year of caravanning for a change. We can't wait to get out.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for all the input and helpful comments. We now have a series 3 Santa Fe on the drive, we were fortunate enough to find one which happened to have a towbar, so saving a heap on having one fitted.

Hoping this means a normal year of caravanning for a change. We can't wait to get out.
If it has a Witter tow bar, make sure it hasn't dropped, there was a recall to tighten the cross member to the chassis fixing struts., bolts to a higher torque.
This is due to only two bolts on each side allowing the cross member to "drop"
Witters fix was to raise the tow hitch on a jack and increase the torque on the 4 bolts by 10 ft lbs.

Also early Witter fixed tow hitches on the Santa Fe's the Alko hitch was about 1 inch further back from the centre of the wheel axle. Not a big thing, BUT.
I changed mine to a Tow Trust Towbar, a better designed one, maybe Witter changed theirs after 2016.
Factory fitted towbars on a 2014, like mine were Witter with a Hyundai pno.
Don't loose sleep over it though. Just dream of Spiders and Scorpions. 🥴

Sep 16, 2018
Visit site
If it has a Witter tow bar, make sure it hasn't dropped, there was a recall to tighten the cross member to the chassis fixing struts., bolts to a higher torque.
This is due to only two bolts on each side allowing the cross member to "drop"
Witters fix was to raise the tow hitch on a jack and increase the torque on the 4 bolts by 10 ft lbs.

Also early Witter fixed tow hitches on the Santa Fe's the Alko hitch was about 1 inch further back from the centre of the wheel axle. Not a big thing, BUT.
I changed mine to a Tow Trust Towbar, a better designed one, maybe Witter changed theirs after 2016.
Factory fitted towbars on a 2014, like mine were Witter with a Hyundai pno.
Don't loose sleep over it though. Just dream of Spiders and Scorpions. 🥴
Thanks, I will check with Witter. The Government recall list only mentions a 2011 recall for Witter bars on Mitsubishi Shoguns.

I hope to have better dreams than that!😊

Reactions: Hutch

TRENDING THREADS