Mitsubishi Outlander shock / replacement

Sep 16, 2018
Visit site
We've had the outlander for 5 years since it was a year old and it's been a brilliant tow car, if a bit thirsty (22mpg towing)
However in December we found the exhaust manifold was cracked, £950 to replace, now we've been told it has an engine problem which will cost £4500 to fix plus a potential turbo failure for another £700. We are gutted and really can't justify spending this on the car, options for us are to get rid of it and try and find a reasonably priced replacement - or give up caravanning.

Having lost most of last year getting the caravan fixed this is last thing we wanted in retirement with a limited budget.

So now we're looking for a replacement which won't break the bank and will tow a 1550kg van.

We're looking for an upright suv style, obvious options are Hyundai Santa Fe and Kia Sorento.

I'd really appreciate any reccomendations for reasonably priced alternatives which would do the job.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
I think you're on the right track looking at Hyundai Santa Fe and Kia Sorento, they're available to suit all budgets although the oldest are getting on a bit now. - the engines were all new in 2010 with more power/torque and better economy.

On a limited budget, avoid cars that were expensive when new - they may look attractive secondhand but their repair costs are proportional to their original price!

Reactions: Mandarin
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Sorry to hear of your dilemma, it’s left you in a very difficult position. I’d agree with Roger’s post wrt Kia and Hyundai as possible options. Another option could be Mazda who also have an excellent reputation for reliability. You don’t say what your budget would be and how the car is used. Do you need a diesel or petrol, and is caravan towing mileage a significant proportion of your annual mileage. Don’t rule out estate cars which could widen your options given there are a wide range of models in that grouping. Good luck in your search.

Last edited:
Sep 16, 2018
Visit site
Thanks for the quick replies. We're thinking about a diesel automatic, the annual towing mileage isn't huge, probably about 2,000 max but that's about 20% of our overall annual miles.

We are limited to automatics and more upright higher cars due to the onset of arthritis.

Depending on what we can get for the Mitsubishi the budget is probably about £15k max.

Reactions: otherclive
Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Thanks for the quick replies. We're thinking about a diesel automatic, the annual towing mileage isn't huge, probably about 2,000 max but that's about 20% of our overall annual miles.

We are limited to automatics and more upright higher cars due to the onset of arthritis.

Depending on what we can get for the Mitsubishi the budget is probably about £15k max.
£15,000 would get you a 2018 Santa Fe with diesel automatic - so Euro 6 meeting any ULEZ requirement https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-de...price-to=15000&transmission=Automatic&fromsra

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
I am on my second Sante Fe now, a 2014, bought it new now just done 92k miles.
Auto will tow 2000kg average towing a 1645 kg van I get between 25 to 30 mpg. Town work maybe the same. Motorway anything Upto 45mpg.
So far Failures have been track rod end, hand brake module and rear boot struts.
Tyres cost about £130 each I get 40 k miles from a set, Road tax £320.
Front window blind spot bottom of the windows at times.
I have the 5 seater as there is space under the boot to stow loads of caravan gear.
Otherwise a good all-rounder..
EDIT. Plus disc pads and discs.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tux
Oct 11, 2023
Visit site
We've had the outlander for 5 years since it was a year old and it's been a brilliant tow car, if a bit thirsty (22mpg towing)
However in December we found the exhaust manifold was cracked, £950 to replace, now we've been told it has an engine problem which will cost £4500 to fix plus a potential turbo failure for another £700. We are gutted and really can't justify spending this on the car, options for us are to get rid of it and try and find a reasonably priced replacement - or give up caravanning.

Having lost most of last year getting the caravan fixed this is last thing we wanted in retirement with a limited budget.

So now we're looking for a replacement which won't break the bank and will tow a 1550kg van.

We're looking for an upright suv style, obvious options are Hyundai Santa Fe and Kia Sorento.

I'd really appreciate any reccomendations for reasonably priced alternatives which would do the job.
Our 2020 Outlander 2.4 PHEV would average around 28mpg towing several owners with slightly earlier 2.0 version claimed around 24/26mpg towing, 22mpg seem quite low.

I am assuming your is a 2017/18 diesel, you do not state the mileage these engines are known to be bullet proof. I would be inclined to seek a second opnion.

Jul 15, 2008
Visit site
....recently updated my tow car and opted for a 2016 Santa Fe @ 49k miles.
I found it easier to find a Santa Fe in good all round condition than a Sorento which tended to be more used body wise with higher mileages.
You may like to note that a 2016 Santa Fe is a Euro 6 and is the last year to come with a full size alloy spare wheel.
Newer cars have an inflation kit and an add blue tank.
A Santa Fe of that year has £290/Yr road tax.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Our 21 Santa Fe came with spacesaver spare wheel from new, wouldn't have been my first choice but it was only that and the colour that we had to compromise on to get the best deal at the time.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
AFAIK the spare was under the boot floor, susceptible to theft, and would need a cable lift to allow an aftermarket spare to be fitted.
The 2014 does have a full size wheel and a cable lift, I use a heavy duty motorbike chain around it for security.

Aug 24, 2021
Visit site
Sorry to hear of your dilemma, it’s left you in a very difficult position. I’d agree with Roger’s post wrt Kia and Hyundai as possible options. Another option could be Mazda who also have an excellent reputation for reliability. You don’t say what your budget would be and how the car is used. Do you need a diesel or petrol, and is caravan towing mileage a significant proportion of your annual mileage. Don’t rule out estate cars which could widen your options given there are a wide range of models in that grouping. Good luck in your search.
BEWARE of Mazda . My son has a CX5 2.2 diesel.
This has happened to him !

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jXo_eaD1TY

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
BEWARE of Mazda . My son has a CX5 2.2 diesel.
This has happened to him !

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jXo_eaD1TY
One swallow doesn’t make a summer. A 2009 car, no statement of mileage, no statement wrt when the timing belt was changed, or if it had been changed or was due a change. An event not unique to Mazda unfortunately. But fortunately not a common failure mode.

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Other Clive
Ours is 7 seater, so think that may be why it is space saver,as previous car the spare is mounted under the floor on the outside

Aug 24, 2021
Visit site
One swallow doesn’t make a summer. A 2009 car, no statement of mileage, no statement wrt when the timing belt was changed, or if it had been changed or was due a change. An event not unique to Mazda unfortunately. But fortunately not a common failure mode.
One of many .

Plenty more out there. Those engines are notorious

Sep 16, 2018
Visit site
Our 2020 Outlander 2.4 PHEV would average around 28mpg towing several owners with slightly earlier 2.0 version claimed around 24/26mpg towing, 22mpg seem quite low.

I am assuming your is a 2017/18 diesel, you do not state the mileage these engines are known to be bullet proof. I would be inclined to seek a second opnion.
Yes it's the diesel with 86k miles, we had expected it to do at least 150k without major problems. The issue was flagged by our local garage and confirmed by the main dealer, so sadly two opinions agree.

Apparently it's a known issue and Mitsubishi issued a 'fix' about 3 years ago. Unfortunately that fix involves removing and dismantling the engine.

Tux

Mar 17, 2024
Visit site
I am on my second Sante Fe now, a 2014, bought it new now just done 92k miles.
Auto will tow 2000kg average towing a 1645 kg van I get between 25 to 30 mpg. Town work maybe the same. Motorway anything Upto 45mpg.
So far Failures have been track rod end, hand brake module and rear boot struts.
Tyres cost about £130 each I get 40 k miles from a set, Road tax £320.
Front window blind spot bottom of the windows at times.
I have the 5 seater as there is space under the boot to stow loads of caravan gear.
Otherwise a good all-rounder..
They've got a nice bit of grunt to them. I've been looking at them as a possible future car. I recall 325 lb / ft torque?! Most engines around that size only manage around 250.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Whatever you decide make sure that it has a full service history. That is a good indicator that the previous owner or owners have looked after the vehicle.

Jul 19, 2021
Visit site
We have a 2014 Santa Fe Premium SE 7 seater auto
Very happy with it, tows the TA Bailey with ease, bags of torque.
Make sure that the AWD works , and the rear self levelling shock absorbers are working/not leaking as they can be an expensive fix.
Ours has 76000 miles on it and has needed a new battery, front discs and pads and a ball joint on the front in the 4 years we have owned it

Reactions: Mandarin
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Three Sorentos on they were so good they became more expensive than a nearly new Touareg! Mates of mine have the Santa Fe. Both Koreans are amazing workhorses loaded with a lot of goodies

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts