Mmetal tyre valve caps - don't use them

Sep 13, 2006
Visit site
Just having great fun trying to remove these from the van, 4 or 5 sprays of wd40 over a period of weeks and have only managed to get one of using molegrips and pliers.

They sort of weld themselves to the metal of the valve.

My advice and also that of the local tyre depot - stick to plastic.

Jun 11, 2012
Visit site
Just a little tip here ,after market valve caps or not the two metals will corrode together in time so

just put a litte grease on them.

We had to have all 4 of our valves renewed on an X5 at acost of

Dec 5, 2006
Visit site
Jeremy

I bought some nice shiny alloy valve caps a while ago and noticed them getting awkward to remove the alloy reacts with the brass on the valves and corrode together in an electrolitic reaction even greasing them dont work in the end I had to replace all the valves as the caps stuck solid and all for the sake of vanity and a

May 21, 2008
Visit site
I put a smear of vaseline on the valve thread which stops any of the metal valve caps sticking.

My niece had nice brass crome plated valve caps on her car but some thieving scum bag kept nicking them from outside her works. So I told her to put a spot of superglue on them which stays wet until they are touched. Only took an hour to find one of her work collegues welded to the wheel of her car. The police thought it very funny and nicked him after being un glued. They also found over twenty metal valve caps in his car. Bit of a magpie I think!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts