Mondeo 2.0 130 TDCi

Feb 4, 2010
Visit site
I have a ford mondeo 130hp 07 2.0 TDCi (previous shape) and am looking to buy a 4 berth caravan with rear wash room. Is the vehicle any good as a towcar for vans of this category?

Also, I am very concerned about weight/stability as I am a total novice with soon to be two young children. Any recommendations on suitable caravans gratefully received.

Thanks

Feb 25, 2008
Visit site
Last Month I changed my 54 plate 2.0 TDCi Mondeo Ghia for an 09 plate 2.0 TDCi Mondeo Titanium.

I have only towed my 4 berth Sterling Europa(MTPLM 1425kg) on two occasions since then, about 40 miles round trip to and from the caravan dealership for its annual service. The car behaved impeccably on each occasion. As was to be expected from something that was Caravan Club towcar of the year a couple of years ago.

My old car towed our caravan around Europe with no problems and I have every confidence that the new one will take us down to Barcelona and back in the early summer, in a similar fashion.

Just be aware that the nose weight limit is 75kg, so pack the 'van carefully to achieve this.

Michael - Derbyshire

Mar 10, 2006
Visit site
I don't recall any diesel Mondeo being tow car of the year? not the 128bhp version.

But the 2.5 turbo petrol was, a completely different animal to the diesel versions?

Sep 15, 2006
Visit site
Excellent towcars, especially ghia and ghiaX estates (they have self-levelling suspension as standard).

The hatches can wear the rear suspension bushes when towing but they're easy to change.

Sep 23, 2009
Visit site
Hello Michael.

Our friends have the 2007 mondeo 2.0TDCi 130hp (old shape) as you have,they tow a 6 berth avondale dart with theirs no problem.

The max tow weight of the mondeo is 1800Kg with a 75Kg nose weight.

If you know the MTPLM of the van you are interested in & your cars kerb weight,here's a little sum for you to do to find what percentage you will be towing at.

MTPLM divided by kerb weight times (X)100 = ???? %.

As other posters have said, load your van correctly,heavy items over the axle etc & be aware of the items in your front locker to try & keep the nose weight to as near the 75Kg mark.

I have the new shape mondeo,2007 2.0lt ghia 140hp,& tow a swift challenger 460se.

Laird Al.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts