Mondeo 55 Plate Clutch

IDC

Jun 8, 2009
Visit site
Has anyone had issues with the clutch on mondeos whilst towing. Great on the move but when manovering round site, levelling etc it 'stinks'. Driving home last night it was slipping when under pressure on hills and the dual carriage way but other than that it was fine.

Any ideas, expensive repaire job?

Mar 10, 2006
Visit site
The last time i had a slipping clutch on hills, was back when i had a mk1 cortina,(the best ford ever made?). The rear crank bearing seal was leaking engine oil into the bell housing.

Is the mondeo clutch change still a engine out routine, i recall

Jun 23, 2008
Visit site
This is a common posting. I had same problem on my Audi A4, seems to be a problem with modern clutches for some reason (no asbestos?) the smell sent the wardens hell for leather to the site electrical control gear as they thought something had blown up.

Like Terry this also persuaded me to go for a mover, didn't fancy the cost of frequent clutch replacements, a great all round asset anyway.

Bill D.

Jun 4, 2011
Visit site
I have a 58 plate Mondeo and the same stink happens on the new model. This also, like Bill and Terry, made me get a mover. One of the best investments I have made as it certainly takes the hastle of manovering the van on some sites.

IDC

Jun 8, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for all of the replies. I have a quote of 300 on a cash job with a ford mechanic - hopefully the DMF is OK!!!

I am also thinking about a mover to save this bill every year or so. My issue is that we use CLs a lot and thus this means more van levelling, thus more strain on the car and or mover.

Will a mover pull the van onto blocks?

Mar 10, 2006
Visit site
Yes but you need a long ramp, or i do with my reich 2004 model, the longer it is the easier for the mover, so you climb in small stages.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Note Gary's reference to the concentric clutch slave cylinder. Expensive, gearbox out job to get to it, and imo another piece of stupid engineering that serves no sensible purpose. As for DMFs grrrrr!

The problem is , once the gearbox is out do you do the sensible thing and change everything or take a chance?

Cheers

Dustydog

Mar 10, 2006
Visit site
The recommendation to change all and sundry has always been the case.

Having said that, ignoring the advise, i only changed the plate, and crank seal, never had a problem after that.

No DMF though back then, apparently they have some springs that don't like heat?

G

Me

I obviously recalled incorrectly, that is a big bill!
That as for everything Ray, dmf concentric slave cylinder and the clutch fitted.

Apr 23, 2005
Visit site
Yep had same problem when reversing my van with the Mondeo. Excellent in many respects for towing but weak clutch. Parked two weeks ago next to guy with Mondeo and he cooked his clutch whilst there.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts