Mondeo zetec - lowered suspension

Jun 12, 2005
Visit site
We are new to caravanning having borrowed a friend's old caravan last year and now been bitten by the caravanning bug!

We are about to buy a secondhand diesel estate Mondeo 2.0(130)which we believe will be a decent towcar.We are debating between a zetec or an LX. According to the brochure, the zetec has 'lowered suspension'. Does anyone have any idea whether this makes it better or worse for towing or doesn't it matter? We don't want to make an expensive mistake when we hopefully buy a caravan of our own in the future,

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
When I had a towbar fitted to my 2002 Mondeo TDCi LX estate, I was asked whether the car was a Zetec, as this has a different towbar. While the mounting points are the same, the height is different to ensure that the ball remains at the same height. However, on some towbars there are different positions for the ball so the height can be adjusted to suit.

Incidentally, I've been using mine for towing for three years and it is a fantastic towcar.

Jun 12, 2005
Visit site
When I had a towbar fitted to my 2002 Mondeo TDCi LX estate, I was asked whether the car was a Zetec, as this has a different towbar. While the mounting points are the same, the height is different to ensure that the ball remains at the same height. However, on some towbars there are different positions for the ball so the height can be adjusted to suit.

Incidentally, I've been using mine for towing for three years and it is a fantastic towcar.
Thank you Gary.It's very helpful to know what you have been told and it sounds as though we'd be ok with either ...... all we need now is a bargain Mondeo! Also reassuring to hear you are pleased with your Mondeo as a towcar.

Thanks

Marilyn

Apr 13, 2005
Visit site
I have also heard that the zetec requires a different towbar due the height, but it makes no difference to the cars towing ability. if you are still looking get a test drive in the car you will be pleasently surprised. one point to note about the mondeo st estate though, aparently this version is unable to tow and does not have type aproval to tow. check before buying.

Jun 12, 2005
Visit site
I have also heard that the zetec requires a different towbar due the height, but it makes no difference to the cars towing ability. if you are still looking get a test drive in the car you will be pleasently surprised. one point to note about the mondeo st estate though, aparently this version is unable to tow and does not have type aproval to tow. check before buying.
Thank you for the advice John. We haven't bought yet but can't afford to make a pricey mistake. I think the St estate version will be well out of our budget but appreciate your advice on the subject.Many thanks.

Jun 12, 2005
Visit site
We tow with the Mondeo 2.0ltr Zetec and have had no problems, it's a great car, tows our van like a dream.

Carlton.
Thanks for the advice - we're getting closer to a purchase!!

The other snippet I've heard is that when you have a towbar fitted to a Mondeo, they sometimes have to cut part of the bumper to fit it. Did you have your tow bar fitted after you bought the car?

Jun 12, 2005
Visit site
We tow with the Mondeo 2.0ltr Zetec and have had no problems, it's a great car, tows our van like a dream.

Carlton.
I'd be interested to know what sort/weight of caravan you tow?? We're hoping to use our friends' old caravan again this summer but I want to be prepared in case a bargain caravan presents itself in the future!!!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The Zetec has stiffened not lowered suspension, the Zetec S has a different rear fairing which might need a different bracket.

The advantage of the Zetec is that when towing it is a very smooth ride, although solo can be hard. I tow a Bailey Provence (MTPLM 1420 kgs with a 130TDCI hatch at 91%. Car knows its there but its the car I've had which can go faster at the top of a hill than at the bottom.

Car quite happy in 6th on motorways, and for steeper hills into 5th and it sweeps up them.

Drive and enjoy.

Anrdew

Jun 12, 2005
Visit site
The Zetec has stiffened not lowered suspension, the Zetec S has a different rear fairing which might need a different bracket.

The advantage of the Zetec is that when towing it is a very smooth ride, although solo can be hard. I tow a Bailey Provence (MTPLM 1420 kgs with a 130TDCI hatch at 91%. Car knows its there but its the car I've had which can go faster at the top of a hill than at the bottom.

Car quite happy in 6th on motorways, and for steeper hills into 5th and it sweeps up them.

Drive and enjoy.

Anrdew
Thank you for all the advice. That's exactly what I was hoping to hear. It's really useful to hear from someone who has had first hand experience BEFORE we make an expensive purchase! One further question please ....... what's it like going over 'sleeping policemen' on campsites and in towns etc? Last year we towed with a ford Probe, a lightweight caravan and not heavily laden but still had a few problems on some of the nastier humps!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Marilyn, I had a V reg 2ltr GLX estate ( I think it had the zetec engine). It was a very good towcar, the gearing was just right for caravanning and fuel consumption very good. I 'beefed' the rear springs up by fitting blow up balls inside the springs, because I carried quite a bit of work things as well as towed caravan.

Reliability was good, I did 80,000 in threee years and clutch change at 50,000. The ac never worked after that and I eventually gave up trying to get it fixed by Ford. The cam belt tensioner broke up at about 70,000 and that was very expensive as new head required.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Thank you for all the advice. That's exactly what I was hoping to hear. It's really useful to hear from someone who has had first hand experience BEFORE we make an expensive purchase! One further question please ....... what's it like going over 'sleeping policemen' on campsites and in towns etc? Last year we towed with a ford Probe, a lightweight caravan and not heavily laden but still had a few problems on some of the nastier humps!

Marilyn

It's fine if you take it steady. The stiffened suspension means it doesn't compress as much at the back, and no need to invest in spring assisters.

The only thing that catches coming off my drive are the rear mudflaps, but nothing else.

Andrew

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Marilyn

Like all things taken steadily nothing will go crunch. the only thing that catches when leaving my drive when towing are the rear mudflaps, otherwise the clearance is fine.

Andrew

Jun 12, 2005
Visit site
Marilyn, I had a V reg 2ltr GLX estate ( I think it had the zetec engine). It was a very good towcar, the gearing was just right for caravanning and fuel consumption very good. I 'beefed' the rear springs up by fitting blow up balls inside the springs, because I carried quite a bit of work things as well as towed caravan.

Reliability was good, I did 80,000 in threee years and clutch change at 50,000. The ac never worked after that and I eventually gave up trying to get it fixed by Ford. The cam belt tensioner broke up at about 70,000 and that was very expensive as new head required.
Thank you very much for all the advice and info.

Jun 12, 2005
Visit site
Marilyn

Like all things taken steadily nothing will go crunch. the only thing that catches when leaving my drive when towing are the rear mudflaps, otherwise the clearance is fine.

Andrew
Thanks Andrew...... still haven't found/bought the car yet!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts