More poor design.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
The bathroom sky light uses those spring loaded handles for opening and closing.
The tiny securing screws go into very small lugs moulded into the main frame. One broke off, barely 6mm in diameter. Result a whole new frame is needed requiring total removal from the roof, replacing and resealing. Parts alone from Bailey are £179.00 :woohoo:
I managed to drill through the frame with a 2mm drill in the dremel , glue the lug back into place and using a longer screw all is well. If that breaks I may get away with a small nut and bolt.
These lugs are tiny and take the full spring pressure of opening and closing the sky light, plus the force of high winds in bad weather.
A pretty poor design imo :(

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Dustydog said:
The bathroom sky light uses those spring loaded handles for opening and closing.
The tiny securing screws go into very small lugs moulded into the main frame. One broke off, barely 6mm in diameter. Result a whole new frame is needed requiring total removal from the roof, replacing and resealing. Parts alone from Bailey are £179.00 :woohoo:
I managed to drill through the frame with a 2mm drill in the dremel , glue the lug back into place and using a longer screw all is well. If that breaks I may get away with a small nut and bolt.
These lugs are tiny and take the full spring pressure of opening and closing the sky light, plus the force of high winds in bad weather.
A pretty poor design imo :(

Agreed they are poor design. My rooflight over the rear dinette was double glazed but with open sides to the top and bottom layers. It let in dirt which required access from the roof to dismantle it for cleaning. It was quite fragile too. “Was” being the operative word. It’s now been replaced with a midi Heki roiflight. A much superior piece of kit and not much more expensive than your Bailey priced replacement.

If we keep the caravan then the toilet rooflight like yours will be changed fir a Heki. Looks so much better when I view the caravan roof from the bedroom. Three colour matched and similar shaped Hekis. Cool. :)

May 24, 2014
Visit site
We have the mini Heki in the bathroom, and you guys are quite right, they are a vast improvement. The only advantage with the sprung one was that it was directional in bad weather.

May 24, 2014
Visit site
On the subject of poor design and lack of thought, I have just had a new AGM battery delivered and I am about to shorten the cables and change the terminals to bolt through rings. The battery is very snug in the box and the stiff 12v battery cables are overly long, enough for the battery to reach the floor whilst connected. However, when trying to refit the battery to the box, its extremely difficult to get the cables back in and close the door without undue pressure on the door.
I understand sort of why the cables are so long, but surely sense would see you lifting the battery out to the caravan step, and therefore negating the need for such excess cable.

Mar 8, 2017
wandering.me.uk
Thingy said:
On the subject of poor design and lack of thought, I have just had a new AGM battery delivered and I am about to shorten the cables and change the terminals to bolt through rings. The battery is very snug in the box and the stiff 12v battery cables are overly long, enough for the battery to reach the floor whilst connected. However, when trying to refit the battery to the box, its extremely difficult to get the cables back in and close the door without undue pressure on the door.
I understand sort of why the cables are so long, but surely sense would see you lifting the battery out to the caravan step, and therefore negating the need for such excess cable.

I agree, but nothing stops you shortening the cables. ;)

May 24, 2014
Visit site
Exactly what I am going to do. Just praying I can find my crimping tool.
On the subject of poor design and lack of thought, I have just had a new AGM battery delivered and I am about to shorten the cables

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
The Hartal door bin is another example. My flimsy securing ring broke years ago. To get a new one I have to buy the entire bin assembly. Yet the strong hinges are available . Weird :woohoo:

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Basically everything on the caravan is made down to as low a cost as possible and with as little weight as they can get away with. This encourages both poor quality and design, but that is true of lots of things these days.

May 24, 2014
Visit site
I still dont know to this day why there isnt an autofill on the flush tank. I get so fed up of standing out there filling the wretched thing by hand. Barrel to jug, jug to tank, back to barrel and on and on.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Raywood said:
Basically everything on the caravan is made down to as low a cost as possible and with as little weight as they can get away with. This encourages both poor quality and design, but that is true of lots of things these days.

Your so true, The space shuttle was Manufactured from the components from the cheapest vendors. Screws in caravan doors etc being just long enough, all right on manufacture then once your out and about you have to replace most of them with thicker or longer ones.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Thingy said:
I still dont know to this day why there isnt an autofill on the flush tank. I get so fed up of standing out there filling the wretched thing by hand. Barrel to jug, jug to tank, back to barrel and on and on.

Use less flush or why not get a composting toilet? A fill every 5-6 days is good weight bearing excercise for ageing bones :whistle:

May 24, 2014
Visit site
Use less flush or why not get a composting toilet? A fill every 5-6 days is good weight bearing excercise for ageing bones

Would add to much weight behind the axle when touring if only emptied every 5-6 days. Now if they made humans that only emptied every 5-6 days, it would save me an awful lot of filling. ;)

Feb 23, 2018
Visit site
I also use a watering can - treated myself to a Colapz one.

I do think some kind of flush tank water level indicator would be good though. Right now I have no idea when its full.

Mar 8, 2017
wandering.me.uk
Thingy said:

Perhaps something to do with back flow. :)

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
CustardAvenger said:
I also use a watering can - treated myself to a Colapz one.

I do think some kind of flush tank water level indicator would be good though. Right now I have no idea when its full.

Mines full when I can see the pink rising to the very top and nearly coming out !!

May 24, 2014
Visit site
Perhaps something to do with back flow.

Fair one, but still, there has to be a better method than this. Perhaps would be better being a topfill, then at least you could use the tap to fill the jug.

As for a level indicator, stop pouring when your feet get wet.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
We use an empty 5 litre, Water bottle with a lip ie. "Comfort" just pour it in, but our caravan came with a water pump and hose to fill the tank, it plugs into a socket in the waste compartment.

May 24, 2014
Visit site
We use an empty 5 litre, Water bottle with a lip ie. "Comfort" just pour it in, but our caravan came with a water pump and hose to fill the tank, it plugs into a socket in the waste compartment.

Cor, how the other half live. Thats posh. B)

I think we need to change the title of this thread to Pour Design. Geddit? :cheer:

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Raywood said:

Hello Ray,
I suspect your correct,

Oct 17, 2008
Visit site
I use a watering can to fill the flush tank after I saw another person on site doing it ( I thought it was strange he was filling a watering can - what plants was he going to water?!) But why doesn't the flush tank have a low level warning light?
Cliff

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Clifford_374377114 said:
I use a watering can to fill the flush tank after I saw another person on site doing it ( I thought it was strange he was filling a watering can - what plants was he going to water?!) But why doesn't the flush tank have a low level warning light?
Cliff

If it did, and it was as unreliable as the high level loo light then you would have something more to worry about. I fill it full on arrival and the as a matter of course bung another 5 litres in using an old water bottle after 4-5 days and just keep doing that until we leave. Then prior to leaving I empty the tank and just put 1-2 litres back in for the trip home. Damn the stability concerns I say :evil:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts