Motor mover recommendations

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Because of forum rules, I will not name my last mover. Originally purchased at 1 year old and still under guarantee. The control unit packed up and it took much argument by myself and my dealer but their attitude was our products don’t fail. Eventually, they replaced it. This was an expensive so called, high-end product. In 2014, after my wheel detachment, a new mover was supplied. Insurance paid, £1200. This was fitted to a new van. It failed within months. At first, they insisted that the warranty was out of date as it would start from the original purchase date. More arguments. Next, my dealer refused to do the job as they would not deal with the company, so, I had to take it to the factory, at my expence. Two new actuators were needed.

Later the control unit failed again. A known fault which I had fixed on-line.

I wish I could warn people, but I understand the readons for the rules.

John
If you have written evidence from them which verifies your complaint, there's no reason why they can't be named John.

Reactions: Jcloughie
Jan 20, 2023
Visit site
I have an EMove303, cheap but looks well made. Always resisted fitting one but now I’ve got one I wouldn’t be without one! It’s been on two caravans so far.

Aug 23, 2023
Visit site
FINALLY! got caravan back, now need to order powrtouch evolution auto single axle. The going rate seems to be £1199 fitted by approved installer (a must for the proper warranty) . Is it worth hunting around for a better price for a "fitted at home" service, or are the prices locked down. I am happy yo pay the £1200, but would obviously prefer it to be less.

No one had any issues with Caravan Movers UK?

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
FINALLY! got caravan back, now need to order powrtouch evolution auto single axle. The going rate seems to be £1199 fitted by approved installer (a must for the proper warranty) . Is it worth hunting around for a better price for a "fitted at home" service, or are the prices locked down. I am happy yo pay the £1200, but would obviously prefer it to be less.

It’s always worth obtaining some quotations for fitting. But having to use an approved installer might limit it, but worth a punt.

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
Twenty plus years' experience spread over owning two of these, leaves me feeling the things are reasonably reliable. That together with knowing the electronics can be repaired for £100, does make me think for the competent DIY buyer, there is an argument to do so.

That opening up considerably more competitive purchasing opportunities, without carrying too big a risk loss related to losing the extended warranty.

I certainly found the prices to buy were competitively different, offering a significant cost saving, plus in my case I particularly wanted the installation the way I wanted and Hymer recommended.

The installation is pretty straight forward and with a DIY install you can get it as you want. The only spin off tips from doing so are:
It's a big advantage to first tow the van up onto a wood block both sides, about 3" making a big clearance access space difference for the under-van activities.
Having a trolly jack, or ideally but not essential two, just to hold the motor units up, till bolted into place.

As I said these are in my experience are quite reliable, recently 15 years old I had a spurious control unit issue. A very good service from A & R Electronics Developments, sorted that for an extremely modest cost, on a 24 hour turn round, excluding the courier time.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dustydog
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site

Ours was fitted by a tech appointed by Powertouch.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Fitting is not difficult but requires a bit of strength and fitness. I managed removing the cross actuator and entire N/S motor unit three years ago to change the bearings. They had lasted 15 years. Frankly for £100 or so GSI. Get Someone In! Powrtouch have a team of fully approved mobile engineers , many of whom are AWS.

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
Even 15 years back the savings just buying the unit as opposed to a "supply and fit" was a lot more than £100.
If that's changed then it's a good value £100's worth, labour and better warranty.

The fitting does not require a lot of strength, if you use a trolley jack to do the heavy lift and hold bits. If not, it would really be making it hard work.

Last edited:
Aug 12, 2023
Visit site
I fitted them myself after watch them fitted by The Caravan Nut.
View: https://youtu.be/_UMLLiuTHwE?si=eqK0e_8uepO1DkCN

I choose EMove EM303A Automatic (engage) version. Brand choice was because there was video showing me how to install them. Auto don't have a bar linking engagement mechanism but there is 4 more wires you need to run and connect. I think Auto is saver as it always engages at correct pressure once installed correctly, manual version relies on operater winding (use a drill) until indicator is at correct location. WARNING if not enough pressure is applied risk a run away caravan on slopes.

If installed by DIYer waranty is only good for 12mths and not transferrable.

I didn't shorten wires so can move them to another van which I'll be doing soon.

Mechanical installation is straight forward only took 1.5hrs, should be quicker 2nd time. Used simple scissor jack to lift them into place while fastening. Torque wrench is a MUST, don't guess it or you could have runaway caravan. What took most of time (few hrs) is cabling. Was impressed with kit that came with movers but you will need good crimpers for connectors. With currents involved can't afford a poor crimp. Instructions weren't great but video above filled in missing pieces.

The only negative to fitting MMs beside cost is 35kg payload penalty.

Positives are endless, park anywhere, push button levelling using ramp. Being able to do 180 for views or security. Lot harder to steal caravan that requires MM to move for hooking up.

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I fitted them myself after watch them fitted by The Caravan Nut.
View: https://youtu.be/_UMLLiuTHwE?si=eqK0e_8uepO1DkCN

I choose EMove EM303A Automatic (engage) version. Brand choice was because there was video showing me how to install them. Auto don't have a bar linking engagement mechanism but there is 4 more wires you need to run and connect. I think Auto is saver as it always engages at correct pressure once installed correctly, manual version relies on operater winding (use a drill) until indicator is at correct location. WARNING if not enough pressure is applied risk a run away caravan on slopes.

If installed by DIYer waranty is only good for 12mths and not transferrable.

I didn't shorten wires so can move them to another van which I'll be doing soon.

Mechanical installation is straight forward only took 1.5hrs, should be quicker 2nd time. Used simple scissor jack to lift them into place while fastening. Torque wrench is a MUST, don't guess it or you could have runaway caravan. What took most of time (few hrs) is cabling. Was impressed with kit that came with movers but you will need good crimpers for connectors. With currents involved can't afford a poor crimp. Instructions weren't great but video above filled in missing pieces.

The only negative to fitting MMs beside cost is 35kg payload penalty.

Positives are endless, park anywhere, push button levelling using ramp. Being able to do 180 for views or security. Lot harder to steal caravan that requires MM to move for hooking up.
Do you leave your motor mover engaged as that is not recommended by some manufacturers of motor movers.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Do you leave your motor mover engaged as that is not recommended by some manufacturers of motor movers.
Simply follow the advice provided by the manufacturer of the mover you have fitted. Failure to do so may invalidate any warranty offered by the maker.

Aug 12, 2023
Visit site
Not sure of question?.
Autos engage by pressing 2 button and disengage by pressing another 2 buttons. Manual need to be engaged by turning nut with winder or drill, same to disengage.

MMs should be disengaged when you've finished moving van ie only a few minutes. Also carry spare 9V battery. I've left remote turned ON couple times to find it flat next time. NB Auto can be disengaged manually if need be.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
I fail to understand how this is even possible. A couple of times I have inadvertently left the mover engaged. This is totally obvious before it it towed just a couple of feet. Yet I have read of people who have done this.

A friend of mine towed his van off site to be stopped at the exit and told the movers were engaged. Wheels were very hot after just a few hundred yards. Surely he must have felt it.

John

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Lot harder to steal caravan that requires MM to move for hooking up.
That gave me the impression that you left the MM engaged to prevent theft, but it can be read two different ways? However if a toerag is stealing the caravan I don't think they will give a monkeys about it being difficult.
MMs should be disengaged when you've finished moving van ie only a few minutes. Also carry spare 9V battery. I've left remote turned ON couple times to find it flat next time. NB Auto can be disengaged manually if need be.

Our Powertouch remote switches off automatically after few minutes non use.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I fail to understand how this is even possible. A couple of times I have inadvertently left the mover engaged. This is totally obvious before it it towed just a couple of feet. Yet I have read of people who have done this.

A friend of mine towed his van off site to be stopped at the exit and told the movers were engaged. Wheels were very hot after just a few hundred yards. Surely he must have felt it.

John
I was referring to when the caravan was in storage.

Feb 23, 2024
Visit site
Just to throw my two peneth in ... I bought a Leisurewize Emove EM203 motor mover from Halfords and although Halford's customer service was dreadful Leisurewize where fantastic. When we unpacked we had been sent to movers for the left wheel and not one for the right ... the personally drove out to replace it and brought some gifts for our van to apologise. Superb service.

I fitted it myself in little more than a few hours and it's great, easy to engage and works really well.

If you are on a budget and a bit handy the Emove is a no brainer from my experience

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Just to throw my two peneth in ... I bought a Leisurewize Emove EM203 motor mover from Halfords and although Halford's customer service was dreadful Leisurewize where fantastic. When we unpacked we had been sent to movers for the left wheel and not one for the right ... the personally drove out to replace it and brought some gifts for our van to apologise. Superb service.

I fitted it myself in little more than a few hours and it's great, easy to engage and works really well.

If you are on a budget and a bit handy the Emove is a no brainer from my experience
I have fitted a couple of movers in the past and they are easy for the practically minded. But you also need a decent degree of fitness. It has been a long time since I could scrabble under a van.

John

Jan 20, 2023
Visit site
I fitted an EMove303 single mover to a twin axle Swift in 2018 after conceding that moving it out of the drive to wash was just too much for me to pull! Fitting took a couple of hours with basic tools, I then fitted one to my parents caravan.

Mine has since been transferred to two other (single axle) caravans since then but I let the dealer do it, I just didn't have the inclination/energy to do it myself as it always seems to be cold and blowing a gale when I do anything myself!!!!

Reactions: Deejuk
May 7, 2012
Visit site
We have had three movers all different makes and frankly there is very little in them. The real difference is in actuation although the makes offer different options.
Most basic ones use a lever you move over to bring the rollers onto the caravan, this is quick and cheap, but they can be hard to work and if you have any doubts do try one first.
The second in the basic types is a wind on one using a handle similar to the leg winder. This takes a bit longer but is far easier.
For rather more money there are the auto ones where the rollers are moved electronically, these are easier if the budget allows.
Personally I would not worry about the make, just get the one that suits your needs and budget.

Reactions: JTQ

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts