Motor mover

Oct 8, 2006
Visit site
I do. Powrtouch advise that the only power taken when the isolator is on is to light a LED. I presume that they use a pulsed radio receiver for the remote so the current that draws is averaged very very low.

Jan 19, 2002
Visit site
I think the isolator is intended to be off when the mover is not in use thus preventing any accidental engagement. Actually mine is fitted such that the isolator cannot be switched to on when the mains hookup is connected, preventing your scenario and ensuring that the mover is only operated from normal caravan battery output.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
audiorob said:
I think the isolator is intended to be off when the mover is not in use thus preventing any accidental engagement. Actually mine is fitted such that the isolator cannot be switched to on when the mains hookup is connected, preventing your scenario and ensuring that the mover is only operated from normal caravan battery output.

Same here. Even thigh mine is a manual engaged mover I turn off the isolator as someone told me that adjacent remotes could activate a nearby caravan and set the rollers turning, and whilst they may not be generating much torque it's not something I would want to happen.

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
Mine is always disengaged and key left beside the battery isolator switch ( with a cable tie attach to it incase i forget to lock battery box properly ).

Jan 19, 2002
Visit site
Just spent £2.45 on two red keys from a UK supplier on ebay which exactly matched the one supplied with the mover, so both my complete sets of keys have one with them as well. Incidentally I also bought a spare main key that operates the caravan locks that I keep on my car keys, so I don't need the caravan sets that often unless I need to remove the security devices prior to travel.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
thosoneill said:
Is it ok to keep the isolator switch on the on position permanently

I'm pretty certain that most manufacturers will say in their instructions the mover should be isolated when its not needed.

I'd be very surprised if manufactures were to spend money to supply and fit an isolator switch if none were needed.

You may also need a physical isolation switch if you have a problem with the mover.

It is a generally accepted process to have the ability to fully isolate all electrical appliances, especially where the usual controls rely on solid state devices to control current. Solid state devices can sometimes fail to closed circuit, so you do need a proper isolation device.

I'd suggest that the isolator is there for a good safety reason, so use it.

Dec 9, 2009
Visit site
From page 11 section 2.10 Powrtouch manual
"However, once you have finished using the Powrtouch Evolution caravan mover, ensure the unit is switched OFF with the isolation switch and the key is removed."

Mike

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Our original mover a Carver had no isolator switch and we never had any problem either with the battery draining or it working without us operating it. Having said that this was in the early years of these items and very few other people had them.
Now probably most caravans have them and the mover operating when a nearby caravan is being moved is far more likely, but as long as it is not engaged I doubt any damage will occur but it might give you a shock..

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Raywood said:
Our original mover a Carver had no isolator switch and we never had any problem either with the battery draining or it working without us operating it. Having said that this was in the early years of these items and very few other people had them.
Now probably most caravans have them and the mover operating when a nearby caravan is being moved is far more likely, but as long as it is not engaged I doubt any damage will occur but it might give you a shock..

All the Carver movers were supplied with an isolator switch or instruction that one should be fitted.

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
Raywood said:
Never thought of that happening. Always leave my mover engaged, must double check the isolator is switched off. :woohoo:

Sep 29, 2016
Visit site
Spare mover isolator keys.

Cheaper than chips

eBay item number:

Get two for £1.02 delivered, you don't need to worry about losing one.
:)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts