Motorhome engine idling on pitch

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
To get out and remove and stow any pads and ramps they might have been using?

Similarly, if I am not using my mover to bring my caravan to my car, I run my car to my van, and then might need to allow time for my wife to do the light and pitch checks and collect any plank, plus get in the car. I do like to allow the car's CPU the short period it needs to come off fast idle before trying to precision reverse, it's an auto.

If situations are right, I will pull forward and switch off and we do these tasks together, all depends on the circumstance we face.
I expect with the tasks we as caravanners face a bit of idling about can't be practically avoided.

Last edited:

JB1

Aug 4, 2022
Visit site
Why do most motor home drivers sit with their engine idling for several minutes before leaving their pitch?
May to let the oil get around the engine and warm up a bit before putting the engine under load and do the final checks before driving off.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
In my experience most adjacent motorhomes tended to be quieter on leaving than many caravans. If we planned an early departure we would do as much as possible the night before. Awning packed away, locks/clamps off, car loaded to max possible other than items required overnight, car tyres inflated to towing pressure etc. But even then it is impossible not avoid a period of idling.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
I don't idle my engine before starting off - just turn ignition on to check the caravan lights then start the engine and go - the quickest way to warm up the engine is to drive away, this minimises pollution and wear.

It's pointless idling most diesels as they won't warm up in those conditions.

Feb 13, 2022
Visit site
I was away for the Queen's funeral. I was trying to watch it in TV whilst every MH on the site suddently "needed" to fill up with water, idling away whilst they did and scattering my TV signal. Can't anything just wait for an hour or two when our much loved monarch has died?! I'm not even particularly royalist.

It's unnecessarily loud alarm set tones which get on my nerves. Possibly grumbed about it before on here but I was next to one on a CC site, every time they locked up, "DIDDLEY DIDDLEY DIDDLEY DEE, PI-PIP! PIP! PIP! PIP! PIP! PIP! Literally echoed around the site. Anyway I love our motorhoming cousins as much as a fellow caravanner or tenter so I'm not going to judge the majority based on the irritating few.

Last edited by a moderator:
May 7, 2012
Visit site
Not something we have ever had a problem with. The makers suggest you simply start up and drive off with modern vehicles.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts