Motorhome hire in New Zealand (some of you don't rate it?)

Aug 31, 2005
Visit site
From the few discussions that appear to have taken place on this subject, one gets the impression that those who have hired a 4/5 birth motor-home, have not always enjoyed the experience and would really rather have hired a car and stayed at lodges within commercial campsites?

We are ready to book up such a holiday for next year and are proposing to stay on "Department of Conservation Campsites"; I think that these are the equivalent of our CLs. There you will not find lodges to stay in, so we would need a tent or motorhome.

However, I get the impresson that lugging this lorry around for even a quick trip to the shops can be a pain? Well yes, but surely more of a pain to only have a car with no fridge and arrive at a campsite lodge and always be forced to 'eating out' as you have no coooking utensils; fridge etc etc?

I would really like to hear from anyone who has made such a trip. I propose to use the GPS maps for NZ so that my sat nav will accompany us.

Thanks ! John

Aug 28, 2005
Visit site
John,

You lucky chap, Apart from Auckland the rest of NZ is about as rural and idyllic as it comes - something akin to the Highlands of Scotland but with less traffic.

I think it would be a great way to see NZ, If you ever in London - New Zealand house is on the Haymarket just of Trafalgar SQ (or it was last year) Full of brochures information and very good advice.

Barrons ( the dealership) actually has one in NZ which may rent out vans. Other than that once you've got to Auckland and transferred to a smaller airport like Dunedin the Motorhome people will pick you up. With a lovely van (as big a twoberth on wheels or a lot bigger if you wish but always fully equipped.

Kindest regards

Monkeys Husband

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
John, We hired a 2 berth motor home in NZ in Nov/Dec last year.

I would agree with those that say that this is not really the best way to do NZ. At just about all the sites we stayed on there were lodges/chalets/rooms some en suite, all the sites had excellent kitchens, complete with pots pans & all nescessary utensils supplied, incl fridges. Talking to others who were travelling by car and renting lodges etc it seemed that they were spending a good deal less than we were in our motorhome. What ever way you do it I am sure you will have an excellent holiday, NZ is a wonderful country, with wonderful people!. However long you have it wont be long enough!!

Have a great time

JimF

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi John, I am one of those who would normally recommend the hire car and campsite cabin option. We chose this for our trip last year and were very pleased with our choice. We mostly used the "Top Ten" sites which is a network of franchise sites which guarantee a good standard and reasonable prices and also have a loyalty card which gives you a discount. A wide range of cabins are available from those with just a bed and a fridge up to full motel style units with kitchen etc. and, as has been mentioned, there are excellent communal kitchen and dining room facilities. The car is also easier and more comfortable to drive, cheaper to run and much more convenient if you want to just pop out to the shops after you have arrived on site, and its great after a long day travelling to have your own proper bathroom and just crash out on a comfortable bed. Another major advantage is that we found the car/cabin option to be about half the cost of hiring the motor caravan. HOWEVER! its a long way to New Zealand and probably not something you will do very often so its important that you choose whichever most suits your purpose and if its "wild" camping that you want then a motorhome is probably your best bet. Are you planning to visit both islands? Check with the hire company as some will allow you to leave your hire car/camper at Wellington or Picton and pick up another on the other island. This saves the cost of the fare for the vehicle, but you may prefer the convenience of taking it across with you. Another reply has said that NZ is a bit like Scotland and one similarity is the insect life! Midges, mozzies, sandflies! Call them what you like the Kiwi variety packs a fierce bite and you need to keep the repellant handy. We met a Posum trapper camped out in the wilds and I asked him how he copes with them, he said he just uses the repellant but make sure it is tropical stength. I hope you have a good trip, its a great place to visit. Jim.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts