Motorway services

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
How do the ANPR cameras at entrance and exit know that you are carrying a Blue Badge, as your car may be being driven by a relative for example and you are not in the car so the Blue Badge cannot be used when parked up.

I recently took my wife to New Cross Hospital at Wolverhampton. Car park signage is poor, but in a few places (in small writing) it does state that BB parking is free. It goes on to say that exit from the carpark will be granted on presentation of the BB. But it doesn't say where or how to present it!

I contacted help telephone line to find out. Could I get through it took over ten minuets. It transpires that the BB should be left visible on the dashboard as you approach the exit barrier, and there is some means by which they automatically spot it and allow you out.

But as you say there are plenty of fraudulent users of BB and BB parking spaces. I don't know how these can be detected, or how the system can be made work more effectively and yet simple and accessible for those who genuinely need it.

It doesn't help there is little uniformity about conditions of use in all types of parking, and how evidence of eligibility can be verified.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
I recently took my wife to New Cross Hospital at Wolverhampton. Car park signage is poor, but in a few places (in small writing) it does state that BB parking is free. It goes on to say that exit from the carpark will be granted on presentation of the BB. But it doesn't say where or how to present it!

I contacted help telephone line to find out. Could I get through it took over ten minuets. It transpires that the BB should be left visible on the dashboard as you approach the exit barrier, and there is some means by which they automatically spot it and allow you out.

But as you say there are plenty of fraudulent users of BB and BB parking spaces. I don't know how these can be detected, or how the system can be made work more effectively and yet simple and accessible for those who genuinely need it.

It doesn't help there is little uniformity about conditions of use in all types of parking, and how evidence of eligibility can be verified.
Annoyingly, every hospital seems to operate a different system for allowing free parking for Blue Badge holders, which they're obliged to in England and Wales under Government regulation - that's if you can find a space, as recently at two different hospitals I found the car park absolutely full so I had to park outside on double yellows and walk in - which defeats the whole purpose of the Blue Badge.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
At our local hospital Blue Badge Holders when arriving at the car park barrier to access you have to press the button until someone answers and give your badge number and you get a reduce parking fee but there is no free parking .

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
At our local hospital Blue Badge Holders when arriving at the car park barrier to access you have to press the button until someone answers and give your badge number and you get a reduce parking fee but there is no free parking .
Complain to hospital management - it's a mandatory element of the guidance issued in 2022 by HM Government https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...ient-visitor-and-staff-car-parking-principles the mandatory free parking element also applies to "frequent outpatient visitors", parents of sick children staying overnight and staff working night shifts

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Complain to hospital management - it's a mandatory element of the guidance issued in 2022 by HM Government https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...ient-visitor-and-staff-car-parking-principles the mandatory free parking element also applies to "frequent outpatient visitors", parents of sick children staying overnight and staff working night shifts
The definition of “ frequent” could lead to some Interesting discussion with the Parking Contractors. Our local hospital issues authorisations to those who may have a specific course of treatment IE chemo, or radiotherapy. 😂

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
The definition of “ frequent” could lead to some Interesting discussion with the Parking Contractors. Our local hospital issues authorisations to those who may have a specific course of treatment IE chemo, or radiotherapy. 😂
The guideline defines frequent outpatient visitor as 3 times per 30 day month over at least 3 months.

Reactions: otherclive
Mar 30, 2012
Visit site
Hi, we are travelling from Leeds to Dover, towing a caravan, this next Saturday. Due to a medical problem we will have to make frequent stops, probably every couple of hours, to take a break. Can anyone suggest the best services to pull in to, for easy parking and, more importantly, the ones to avoid? Either the M1 or A1 route.
Thanks.
Avoid

Baldock Services - Extra - A1M J10​

The exit from the caravan parking has been blocked by the EV charging and it's a devel to get out.

See here

Reactions: Dustydog

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts